Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
47 Fountain Lightning Project >

47 Fountain Lightning Project

Notices

47 Fountain Lightning Project

Old 01-15-2003, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Minimum wake. Looks to be a bit higher. Ray, nice graphics. It's always nice to see a Fountain with a custom paint job. Not too many around.
Attached Thumbnails 47 Fountain Lightning Project-minimum-wake.jpg  
Old 01-19-2003, 11:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

innthered: Thanks for the picts, I can measure now.

Also I've beeen working on the bilge, I bought 2 quarts of Interlux "Bilgekote" It is working out very well. It leaves a nice gloss finish that seems very hard. I cleaned it off with simple green/ power washed it and then just before paint I wiped it off with Carbochlor (Sp?) de-greaser Also it kind of made the old paint a little tacky. I have about 1/3 rd done. I would like to have it all done before it goes off to be painted.
Attached Thumbnails 47 Fountain Lightning Project-bilge2.jpg  
Old 01-20-2003, 08:11 AM
Registered

Ray,

I'm looking at a similar project on a 42. The bilge finish on Fountains is terrible. Not only does the chalky surface attract dirt and oil stains, it disolves and comes off with even the use of mild cleaners (Simple Green). Did you use a roller or brush on the finish?

Also, I'm in the process of installing a Whipple on the 27' Fountain. I saw the pics on your web site of the outdrives on your PQ. It looks like you've tried several outdrive upgrades, the latest being from Max Machine Worx. What was your experience with Max vs Imco vs ? I'm considering the Teague Platinum XR unit presently.

Thanks,

Mark S.
Attached Thumbnails 47 Fountain Lightning Project-fount008.jpg  
Old 01-20-2003, 08:27 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The bilgekote I just brushed on, It seems like rustolium (Sp?) It takes about 3 hours to dry to touch and 16 for full cure. It has a hard gloss finish. If you want to re-cote you need to scuff it up. It says 3 coats reccomended but the one coat I did looks fine.

On the drive issue I only run the IMCO's last season. They worked fine, The MMW drives were just completed and mounted when I had to winterize, 0 hours so far. I think the secret is the full tower in the MMW It looks like it is well designed and helps hold everything from flexing. The IMCO's are designed with a two piece upper that helps eliminate case flex and I think this is why these work well too. The drives that came on the PQ were Teague upgrades and they showed signs of wear thats why I had them upgraded to MMW. Note these were pre XR drives too and teague would not put XR gears in them whereas MMW did. I have no info on the Teague "XR" upgrade. All I know is they said the could not change from pre- OM gears to XR.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Registered

Like new dude!
Now I need some too...
Old 01-28-2003, 05:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Still painting, now I have to do the Transom. I'm starting to get sick of painting
Attached Thumbnails 47 Fountain Lightning Project-bilge2.jpg  
Old 01-28-2003, 05:27 PM
Registered

Ray,

Outstanding job. Looks like you'll need Michalangelo for the transom with all the plumbing, etc! I pulled the heads on my '27 Whipple project and sent them to Teague for Inconel exh. valves Monday. I'm waiting for the CMI's and Teague switchables as well. I removed the wishbone exhaust plumbing as I won't be needing it with the Teague units. This should make the bilge job a little easier. I'm thinking of fabricating custom diamond plate treads in the engine comp. These will fit on both sides between the engine mount stringers and the hull sides. We've got all the fabrication equipment and CNC mills for the fire bottle, battery cutouts, etc. I'm thinking red powdercoat for the treads instead of polished alum. Did you need new battery holddowns for the Optimas?

Regards,

Mark S.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Mark,

Thanks for the comments, yes it will take a little delicate work on the transom. At least now I can wear socks in the bilge and not shoes and it will be cleaner. I need at least one more coat over it all with light sanding between.

I have optima boxes from eddie marine, blue powder coated. One complaint they all have a great big "eddie marine" logo etched into the tops, not a big deal but I would of rather not had it. Maybe I will get the to exchange.

Make sure you install the block off plates! I am planning on using my wishbones, I like it quiet for Idle.

The diamond plate is a good idea on the sides powder coating is the only way to go, the polished will always be dirty looking. Are you going to set the diamond plate in the pocket or trim it out even with the top? If flush with the top, how will you mount it to the sides and is that a good idea with hull flexing??? I guess you could use big angle brackets off the stringer... If yours would be the same as mine I would be interested in you doing a set for me. I was wondering how I could incorporate some diamond plate in the bilge like brend "C" Does
Old 01-29-2003, 01:10 AM
F2-34thrttleman

Is it just my computer, or can any one else NOT see the pics that raypanic has attached?

Old 01-29-2003, 06:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

You may need to pay now to see the picts, see the memberships area. or go to the other OSO "ofni.staobtsaf.www" I have a post there ands it's free (FYI I spelled the link backward because it will not allow you to print it in this forum)

Quick Reply: 47 Fountain Lightning Project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.