Shorter lower drive units >

Shorter lower drive units

Notices

Shorter lower drive units

Old 01-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Curt

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GATORONE
[B]Curt

I have the 2" shorter sportmasters on my lightning and they made a difference in performance and handling.

Gator One, what did you gain? How much effect on planing. Where did you buy the shorties? What was the entire cost of everything associated with them...drive housings, gears, lower shaft, props etc.? Did you even have to change props? This is the last performance item I am considering for my rig so this is important! The end is near.

Old 01-09-2003, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curt,

So your keeping the Fountain going even with the water down Maybe this summer you will have to visit Smith Mountain Lake, we have plenty of room and our water is up (at least for now)

Will Murray
Old 01-09-2003, 07:52 PM
Curt

Hey Will, screw the water, they can't run me out of town! There is still a ton of water in the lake, it just isn't at anyone's dock. So dock hopping is out for a couple of years but throwing it in and tying up out in the middle should be the same as always. Most of the marinas are extending their docks and ramps to accomodate. I will miss going house to house but you have to learn to adapt. We do plan on taking some road trips this summer somewhere. Smith Mountain might be a destination. How far of a pull is it from Lake Murray? And by the ay why do y0ou give a tinkers damn about Smith Mountain anymore? You are in boaters heaven now!

Old 01-09-2003, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is very nice in South FL, however on my budget I need a place on the water before I can afford to have the Fountain here. Dry storage for it is almost as much as rent Looked into trailering it, but I would rather save and wait. Plus I may be moving again

Will
Old 01-12-2003, 02:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Curt
[B]
Originally posted by GATORONE
Curt

I have the 2" shorter sportmasters on my lightning and they made a difference in performance and handling.

Gator One, what did you gain? How much effect on planing. Where did you buy the shorties? What was the entire cost of everything associated with them...drive housings, gears, lower shaft, props etc.? Did you even have to change props? This is the last performance item I am considering for my rig so this is important! The end is near.

Curt, I picked up around 4 mph,as far as getting on plane I don't have any problems with stock five blades or four blades with a lot of cup. My X is 21and7/8 from the notch and 29 and 7/8 from the V. The lower units retail for about $6200 each but you should be able to pick them up for around $4500 each. I did change props during testing since I added whipple coolers two weeks later. Your props should be ok as long as they can take some more cup. As far as changing anything I did not have too because they mate up with my XR uppers. They also add a great deal of stability at full throttle. As for my set up I am running 36 bravos and beating the hell out of the rev limiters at 5600 and running 105 on the GPS. The boats leaving to go to Fountain next week to get the props dialed in and the bottom blue printed. By the way I was at the Lake Murray poker run last year.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curt,

Do you ever give up?

Dave
Old 01-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Curt

Gator One, I remeber you I think. Didn't you and your wife tie up to a bunch of us in the "hole" for a while? You have a brand new looking 35 if I recall correctly. Nice boat! Thanks for the advice. I may end up having to change props if I do this because I am already at 5600-5800 rpm at 88.4 gps. I think I will have to up the pitch if it picks it up as much on mine as it did on yours. I would just like to peg 90 mph one time...or maybe twenty times since I am sooo damn close now.

Old 01-13-2003, 11:54 AM
Curt

Originally posted by DaveHam
Curt,

Do you ever give up?

Dave
NO!

Seriously, I think after this; if I do it, I will be done. Tyler did call me Saturday night to tell me about a carb spacer that dyno's 20 to 40 more hp just by bolting it on. He is going to ship me a couple soon to try. What the hell, that's an easy one.

Old 01-21-2003, 08:25 PM
Curt

ttt
Come on guys, surely someone with a 32 has tried this before. Any help would be appreciated. I get so tired of experimenting and emptying my wallet in the process. God, I could write a book on the parts added that were simply money wasted. It drives me absolutely

Old 01-22-2003, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Curt,

If you don't mind sharing, which carb spacer is Tyler referring to?

Thats a good increase in HP for just a spacer.

Mark

Quick Reply: Shorter lower drive units

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.