Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Now was I suppose to trim in our out on these new twin steps? >

Now was I suppose to trim in our out on these new twin steps?

Notices

Now was I suppose to trim in our out on these new twin steps?

Old 05-07-2004, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Good information, staying on topic, and not Fountain Bashing, Thanks guys!
Old 05-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a BIG difference with turning a non-step boat vs. a step boat at speed, regardless of the manufacturer. In a non-step, you need to trim "in" some so the nose comes down and more of the vee is biting the water. With a stepped hull, it's just the opposite - trim "out" some so the stern settles in and keeps it from spinning out on you. Note that I said "some" in both cases.

The pic above tells the story, the driver had the drives tucked all the way in, and loosened up the stern causing the spin.

It's sad to see such a nice piece of hardware in this condition.

Brian
Old 05-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

It's ironic but it looks like the Twin-Step Shuffle claimed another victim this weekend - but this time it was a Nordic 35 flame and it happened to be on the Lake we boat on - Cumberland.

Contrary to the police report, I'm told that the driver was going between 85 and 90 mph when he saw a log, swerved to miss it and it swapped ends.

From LakeCumberland.com

http://www.lakecumberland.com/forum/...d.php?tid=3251
Old 05-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lake Cumberland accident was the result of unsuccessfully trying to avoid a partially submerged log in the water.

This is not an issue with the boats themselves. It is an issue of people not taking the time to understand the characteristics of the boat they just bought. And it really does not mater what kind of boat it is. If you do not understand how to drive the boat you're in and you are running it at high speeds, you are not a smart individual.

I wish people would stop this crap about stepped bottom boats. I think it is the owners responsibility to understand the proper operation of their craft. Blaming the boat is just trying to avoid taking personal responsibility for their own actions.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:24 AM
clean sweep
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why 38's

I realize the trim and handling characteristics of the new taller steps are much different from the old shorter steps, but can anybody tell me why the 38's seem to be involved with these mishaps and not the 42' or 35'? The 42 tall steps have been out for years and I have never heard or read anything about them spinning out like the new 38'. How about the 35 lightnings? Haven't heard anything about them being so slippery in turning and having the tendency to spin. Powerboat report on 35 Lightning this year gave great reviews on turning. Do they test at high speed power turns? Trim is very important, but are these new tall steps that unforgiving? Any imput?
Old 05-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by h2owarrior
The Lake Cumberland accident was the result of unsuccessfully trying to avoid a partially submerged log in the water.

This is not an issue with the boats themselves. It is an issue of people not taking the time to understand the characteristics of the boat they just bought. And it really does not mater what kind of boat it is. If you do not understand how to drive the boat you're in and you are running it at high speeds, you are not a smart individual.

I wish people would stop this crap about stepped bottom boats. I think it is the owners responsibility to understand the proper operation of their craft. Blaming the boat is just trying to avoid taking personal responsibility for their own actions.

Well said,,, and about time it WAS said.