Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > Ft Myers Offshore
Information Thread for Thanksgiving Weekend Charity Fun Run - Sat. Nov. 24 / 07 >

Information Thread for Thanksgiving Weekend Charity Fun Run - Sat. Nov. 24 / 07

Notices

Information Thread for Thanksgiving Weekend Charity Fun Run - Sat. Nov. 24 / 07

Old 11-04-2007, 07:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Information Thread for Thanksgiving Weekend Charity Fun Run - Sat. Nov. 24 / 07

Our run to Punta Gorda will be a fund raiser to help Yvonne Highfil with medical expenses from recent open heart surgery. I am asking that each participating boat donate a minimum $100.00 ( more at your discression ) towards this cause. The preferred method of payment is a check made out to Yvonne which we will deposit into an account that has been set up at Wachovia Bank. Checks will be collected at the lunch stop. In addition we will be selling 50/50 raffle tickets at lunch. Other fund raising ideas can be discussed as the thread evolves. ( sorry, no online auctions ! ) Come out and have a great day on the water and lets show our support for Yvonne. For more complete information on Yvonne's situation please take a moment and read Maritime Eng's (Don's) thread titled " Fund Raiser for one of our own !!!!".

Route:

Our starting point will be the south side of the Sanibel Bridge. Boats should assemble around 10:45 am and we will leave by 11 am sharp. Marco boats can meet me at the mouth of the Marco River. We can then meet the Naples boats at 10:00 am and then continue north to meet the main group of boats at the Sanibel Bridge. Bonita and FMB boats can pick us up on the way by or go directly to the Sanibel Bridge.

We will be in two groups, according to speed. Group 2 will be those boats capable of cruising at 50 - 60 MPH and will be the first to start, at 11:00 AM, travelling up the intercoastal waterway. This route is 10 miles shorter than the offshore route that group 1 will be taking. A paceboat will be assigned to lead this group. Also please be aware that the intercoastal waterway can be busy and we need to respect others using the waterway.

Group 1 will be boats capable of cruising at more than 65 MPH and will start 5 minutes after Group 2 has left.
When we start our run we will go south and make a wide sweep around the bottom end of Sanibel Island ( do not cut the corner as this part of San Carlos Bay is shallow), eventually going west into the Gulf and then up the coast staying a couple of miles or more offshore. If the seas are too rough, then the alternate route will be to run up the Intercoastal Waterway. The offshore group will stop at Redfish Pass for a few minutes to wait for the back of the pack to catch up. From there we will make our way to the Intercoastal via Boca Grande Pass and both groups will meet where Boca Grande Pass meets the Intercoastal Waterway. This is about 3 miles north of Cabbage Key.

We will then head east into Charlotte Harbor making our way to Fisherman's Village in Punta Gorda. We should be there by 12:15 pm for lunch. We will be docking on the west side of FV. Our area will be marked with caution tape. There will be some rafting so make sure you bring fenders.

Fuel / Distance:

From the Sanibel Bridge to Punta Gorda and back should be about 110 miles for those running offshore and 100 miles if Intercoastal both ways. Fisherman's Village Marina has 89 octane. Also South Seas Plantation which is along the way. 93 octane is available at Cape Coral Yacht Club only.

Food:

We will be eating at the Captain's Table. This is the area over Harpoon Harry's and will be for our exclusive use.
They will be serving us buffet style. Tossed salad, marinated grilled tenderloin tips, citrus chicken, baked ziti (pasta), roast potatoes, fresh vegetable medley, hot rolls & butter, key lime tarts, coffee, tea, ice tea and / or water. Mmmmmm looks like Thanksgiving all over again !!
Adults : $20.00 tip and tax included
Kids 10 and under $10:00

Communication:

Interboat communication to be on VHF channel 72. My cell number is 239 776 0481. Anyone dropping out after the start should let me know so we do not spend time either waiting or looking for you. Leave a voicemail if no answer.

Pictures:

Our official photographer Jayboat ( Jay N ) will be aboard PREDATOR. We will position Jay on the deck of my boat and start the boats one at a time, at 10 second intervals. I will position PREDATOR an eighth mile south of the assembly area. The idea is to capture each boat as you do a drive by, keeping a safe speed and distance of coarse.
Group 2 ( Not so fast boats ) will start first and head north on the inside of Sanibel Island followed by Group 1 ( fast boats ) on the outside of Sanibel Island.

I have discussed with Jay the possibility of putting him up in a helicopter soon. Possibly New Years Day run.

Tide Information:

Marco River LT - 6:41 AM; HT - 1:28 PM; LT - 6:36 PM;
Naples Bay LT - 6:31 AM; HT - 1:11 PM; LT - 6:14 PM;
Estero Bay LT - 7:14 AM; HT - 3:01 PM; LT - 5:10 PM;
Sanibel Bridge LT - 6:31 AM; HT - 2:27 PM; LT - 4:37 PM;
Cape Coral Bridge LT - 9:52 AM; HT - 4:43 PM; LT - 7:58 PM;

Waypoints:

Marco Island: N 25 58 38; W 81 46 25

Naples ( Gordon Pass): N 26 05 50; W 81 48 67

Sanibel Bridge: N 26 29 00; W 82 00 88

Redfish Pass- ( catch up stop # 1): N 26 33 14; W 82 12 70

Boca Grande Channel ( offshore): N 26 41 78; W 82 17 90

Where Intercoastal meets Boca Grande - ( catch up stop #2): N 26 42 88; W 82 14 62

Charlotte Harbor - Green #5 : N 26 45 71; W 82 04 38

Punta Gorda- ( Fisheman's Village): N 26 56 18; W 82 04 38

Weather / Sea Conditions:

The Weather Channel: Mix of sun and cloud. High 83 deg. Chance of precip. 20% Winds east 11 MPH.

NOAA: east ( onshore ) winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 ft. Offshore Bay and Inland waters a moderate chop.

Safety:

Each boat Captain is required to operate his vessel in a safe manner and is responsible for his / her crew and their safety. Familiarize yourself with BSAFE ( Boating Safety Association for Events ). Visit www.boatingsafe.org
When running in the Intercoastal Waterway be aware that this can be a high traffic area and we ask that other boats be given a wide berth and that the rules of the road ( waterway ) be adhered to.

Bob
cell: 239 776 0481
e mail: [email protected]

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 11-21-2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Updated weather info Wed Nov. 21st
Old 11-04-2007, 08:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Oh yes, one more thing. Post here, call or email me if you coming. I am aware of at least a half dozen boats at this time. A great start.
Bob
Old 11-04-2007, 08:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

As part of our fund raiser I would like to offer 2 seats on Predator for the Run. I am asking that a donation of $100.00 per seat be made to Yvonne. If you wonder if it is worth 100 bucks click on the attached video link. That could be you ....well for a day at least ! Please contact me if interested.
Bob

http://media.putfile.com/BobsNorTech5000
Old 11-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for getting this started Bob! Yvonne's medical bills are very costly and any help we can give her will be greatly appreciated!

Count us in for the run! I am going to try and get my Parents to come with along with a few of are other boating friends.

See you all in a couple weeks!

Don
Old 11-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
As part of our fund raiser I would like to offer 2 seats on Predator for the Run. I am asking that a donation of $100.00 per seat be made to Yvonne. If you wonder if it is worth 100 bucks click on the attached video link. That could be you ....well for a day at least ! Please contact me if interested.
Bob

http://media.putfile.com/BobsNorTech5000
Bob,

I may take ya up on one of those seats, gotta check with the wife, and see the family plans for that date, since it is a holiday weekend. I would like to get the Pantera over, but gotta tear the powerhead back off now to replace a seal, this would be a good way for me to see your club, and waters before I get the Pantera over.

Rick
Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

As long as someone has a seat for me, I will be there.

Last year's Turkey Run was one of our best... for those of you that missed it, or if you just wanna remember the day, there are some pix up here.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:42 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jayboat
As long as someone has a seat for me, I will be there.

Last year's Turkey Run was one of our best... for those of you that missed it, or if you just wanna remember the day, there are some pix up here.
There is always an open seat for you on PREDATOR , Jay. Means driving to Marco tho. If someone up in the Cape or Ft Myers has a seat for you would save you some driving. If you come to Marco you would be driving for 3 hrs ( 1.5 hrs each way) and end up having lunch 5 minutes from home ! Too funny. But you would have a great day on the water.

I looked at your picture file of last years run. Wow, that really was a great day, wasn't it?

I was wondering what we could do to get some great shots of all the boats? What if I left lunch first, went a couple of miles south of Punta Gorda and stopped. Then have each boat do a flyby and you can photo each boat as it goes by complete with rooster tail ? Just a thought.

Bob
Old 11-05-2007, 09:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks Bob... you know I don't mind the drive.

I think the fly-by is a great idea-- would prettty much insure that I get at least one in-focus running shot of everyone. (This issue bothers me more than any other- makes me feel like I have left people out when I don't get a good clear shot of them on a run.) Let's do it!

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 11-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

I should have an seat open for Jay for the ride from Cape Coral to Sanible Bridge. Jay you can ride with me the entire time but it might be hard to take photos in my boat...... It would be like taking pictures while riding a mechancal bull! Let me know!

Don
Old 11-05-2007, 12:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jayboat
Thanks Bob... you know I don't mind the drive.

I think the fly-by is a great idea-- would prettty much insure that I get at least one in-focus running shot of everyone. (This issue bothers me more than any other- makes me feel like I have left people out when I don't get a good clear shot of them on a run.) Let's do it!
Perfect. We will find some quiet water and position you up on the deck. I carry a 4 ft. step ladder for getting on and off the boat at Keewaydin. That will be your perch ! LOL Now I want to take that picture !

Don has suggested you ride with him from CC to SB that will save you quite a bit of driving. You could make the transfer to PREDATOR there.

Things are nicely coming together already.

Bob

Quick Reply: Information Thread for Thanksgiving Weekend Charity Fun Run - Sat. Nov. 24 / 07

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.