Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > Ft Myers Offshore
The Future of Ft. Myers Offshore as a Boating Group - Important, please read. >

The Future of Ft. Myers Offshore as a Boating Group - Important, please read.

Notices

The Future of Ft. Myers Offshore as a Boating Group - Important, please read.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default The Future of Ft. Myers Offshore as a Boating Group - Important, please read.

Most of you will recall my statement a few months ago where I had raised liability concerns with my taking a lead roll in organising "fun runs" for our group.

It has been confirmed to me that as an organiser, I (or anyone involved in putting a run together) is indeed at risk of being dragged into a lawsuit, if there were an accident.

I am advised that the best protection, is to incorporate Ft Myers Offshore as an LLC and all members of our boating group will become shareholders in the LLC for a nominal sum of $1. The idea is that in the event of an incident, the LLC could only be sued up to the amount of the investment, which would be 1$. Members will also be required to sign a waiver as well as indemnify event organisers.

If I am going to be involved in organising any future fun runs, we will need to incorporate. The cost to incorporate is $750 plus some additional fees to prepare wavers and documents.. The LLC will obtain liability insurance for directors and officers. If we formalise ourselves into a boat club as I have described, I think we need to go one step further and complete the development of a website that Jay (Jayboat) has done some preliminary work on.

To get things up and running I estimate that we need to raise at least $2,000.00 or more. I have currently 50 individuals in my FMO ( Ft Myers Offshore) contact list and I know there are at least another 20 or more out there that could be interested in joining our club. If you have offshore boating friends who you think could be interested in running with Ft. Myers Offshore please pass this along to them. If they will forward to me their contact information, I will keep them informed of developments.

In an effort to raise the necessary funds I would like to propose that we offer a charter membership at a minimum amount of $50 to $150 at your discretion. This would be in addition to the $1 cost of your share in Ft Myers Offshore LLC. Corporate donations to help launch Ft Myers Offshore LLC will also be sought after and graciously accepted. If there is the support for this concept, then I am prepared to front end some of these costs and be reimbursed later as the funds come in. There will be financial statements prepared each year and available to the membership.

If you are prepared to support this undertaking as a member only, for the one dollar fee, or a charter member for $50 to $150 or Corporate donor ( suggest $250 + ) , please either post your pledge on this thread or advise me by e mail, your level of support by the 10th of April. I will then decide if the will and support is there to proceed in the formalising of the Club and LLC. If not, then I expect that the Ft Myers Offshore forum on OSO will continue to function as a social and information network but I suspect little used to organise the boating events we have enjoyed in the past.

I should also mention that I am proposing a 2 tier annual membership fee to help with ongoing expenses. I would suggest a non boater social membership fee of $35 and a boaters membership fee of $60 that would not be due until October 31st each year including this year. ( for the coming year) This is the same fee structure as the NJPPC, which I consider to be fair and reasonable. Perhaps a family membership at a slightly higher amount of say $50/$75 could be considered. I believe our Club should be non-profit. I would like to see a board of directors and an event planning committee. I would also like to see us continue to have at least 1 charitable fund raising event a year. I can see where we would have at least 4 or 5 major events a year with one being an overnighter as we did at South Seas Plantation this season. Also the Thanksgiving weekend and New Years Day fun runs would continue as annual events each year. The fun runs will only be available to club members. I do not anticipate a charge to participate in events or fun runs beyond the annual dues. We may want to consider fundraisers such as 50/50 draws etc. to help meet Club expenses, if the need can be demonstrated.

It is now decision time and it is up to you to help decide the future of Ft Myers Offshore as a Boating Group. Your support will be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure there are questions as well as comment and suggestions. I will do my best to answer and address them.

Bob Barnhart
Cell 239-776-0481
E mail: [email protected]
Old 03-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[I][B]Bob,
You have been advised to take the direction that many before you have also chosen. You also have presented many well thought out scenarios. Your commitment, diligence, and professionalism are a credit to you and your obvious past business and personal life. The boating population of the Ft.Myers-Marco area are are lucky to have you involved.
With your proposal I would be happy to become a charter member for $50.00 and an owner for $1.00. With your guidance, leadership, ideas, and idle time my $1.00 investment will soon become at least $5.00. That's a better return than some of my other investments.
My crystal ball says, on the other hand, my vote after much thought and my reflections of involvement with other similar organizations, some thought should be given to either joining other allready orgainzed groups such as the cape coral boating club. ( I have almost no knowledge of them, only what I recently read and am just using them as an example), or just keep it as simple and casual as possible, and the same as it is.
You however are the obvious fearless and tireles leader and I will follow you someday weather permitting into the depths of a great boating day
Harry
315-374-8297
Old 03-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Registered

Bob -

I'm with you 110% !!!
All the best,
Hans
Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Registered

If Hans says its o.k., then I agree as well. L.O.L.

Bob, you don't have to ask me twice. I have been involved in other things with you and I know that you always do things the right way. I'm in.

By the way Bob, I think it is a great show of loyalty that you have decided to paint the Ft. Myers Offshore logo on the side of the new "Predator"..........................I know Jay is already working on the design, I saw it when I was picking up my new Bajountain stickers.

Last edited by NaplesBaja; 03-21-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Bob-

I know how much effort you have put into this club/organization and I thank you for that. If you feel this is the best way to go then I am in as a shareholder and annual memeber.

If there is a way to make Maritime Engineering as the offical outboard engine of Fort Myers Offshore then we might be able to come up with enough funds for a corperate donor.

I just really want to get out boating as a group again!

Thanks again for all your hard work!
Don
Old 03-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Registered

Bob,

Count me and my Faja in.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob,
Count us in as charter members. Let us know the total membership fees when everything is figured out.

All your suggestions and ideas sound good. We are 100% behind this. Will talk to you soon.

Rick & Monica
Old 03-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in Bob, the times I have had with y'all are worth more than that.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default A great start !!

Thank you all. We are only 7 hrs. into this thing and am I grateful for this initial support. I have also received corporate pledges from Aaron Wolf / Screens n Cages as well as Jim Angles / ReMax. Over the next few days I will be sending out e mails looking for additional support as well. We will need to find a way to properly acknowledge both corporate and individual sponsors. Perhaps on the website will be a good place as well as here on OSO.
Bob
Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bob
Send me a e-mail when you are ready. I am back home in KY now but will be down again in October.

Steve

Quick Reply: The Future of Ft. Myers Offshore as a Boating Group - Important, please read.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.