Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > Ft Myers Offshore
Roll Call / Information Thread, New Years Day 2011 fun run to Marco Island, FL >

Roll Call / Information Thread, New Years Day 2011 fun run to Marco Island, FL

Notices

Roll Call / Information Thread, New Years Day 2011 fun run to Marco Island, FL

Old 12-11-2010, 04:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Roll Call / Information Thread, New Years Day 2011 fun run to Marco Island, FL

Our 5th annual New Years Day Fun Run will again be to Marco Island. We will start from the south side of the Sanibel Bridge at 12.00 PM Noon. ( please note the new start time ! ) Lunch will be at C.J’s on the Bay in the Esplanade complex. If the weather is warm, we will eat outside on the patio surrounding the Star Bar. If coolish, they will accommodate us inside. This will be a rain or shine event. If the weather is not suitable to run down in our boats, we will drive our cars to the Esplanade. Some may recall that last year we had to move the run ahead a day due to an approaching cold front. We will again monitor the weather closely and if it is necessary to make any changes, we will get the information out ASAP. This is another important reason to register with us if you are planning on coming.

If you are able to join us, post up here or let me know by phone: 239-776-0481, or e mail: [email protected] Post your questions / comments here on this thread and I will do my best to answer them.

The run is open to all offshore boats capable of a safe 50 MPH min. cruising speed so tell your friends but please help by making sure they get this information to minimize any confusion. We need to know who all is coming, so C.J’s and the dock master can be prepared for us. It would also be helpful to pass along to them an FMO membership form. It can be found by going to www.ftmyersoffshore.org Click on Membership and download the form. First run, no obligation to join. Second run, you must like us, so time to sign up !! It can be mailed in or presented at any run.

Bob

Membership renewal: Please be mindful that if you have not renewed your membership for 2011, now would be a good time to do so. You may mail it in or bring along on the run with you. The downloadable form can be found by going to www.ftmyersoffshore.org

Route: From the Sanibel Bridge we will start behind the Nor Tech Team PREDATOR pace boat until the yellow flag drops when we can settle into a group that suits our speed. We will head south into San Carlos Bay, past Bonita Beach, past Naples and go into Marco at Big Marco Pass. From the Marco River, turn right into the first canal ( before Snook Inn ) making our way to The Esplanade.

Fuel / Distance: The distance from the Sanibel Bridge to Marco Island is about 45 miles each way. All boats are urged to leave with full fuel. There is a fuel dock in the Marco River a quarter mile beyond the Snook Inn with 89 octane as well as Hamilton Harbor, a mile inside Gordon Pass, Naples.

Dockage: The public dockage at The Esplanade is located along the seawall. The dock master will do his best to keep as much dockage open for us as possible but he cannot turn the public away. Some rafting will likely be required. Please do not use the slips as they are privately owned unless directed by the dockmaster. Don't be afraid to flip the dock master a few dollars to show your appreciation. They are bringing extra staff just for our benefit.

Food: We will eat from C.J’s menu and each participant will be responsible to C.J’s for their meal / drinks.

50 / 50 draw: At lunch we will be selling raffle tickets. 100 % of the proceeds will go into the FMO student scholarship fund. Please support your Club, and the good work we are trying to do.

Clothing: We will have men's and ladies tee shirts and hats available bareing the new Ft. Myers Offshore logo. Items are all priced at $20.00 each, a portion of which goes into the club's student scholarship fund.

Communication: Inter boat communication to be on VHF channel 72. My cell is 239-776-0481. Anyone dropping out after the start should let me know so we do not spend time waiting or looking for you. Leave a voice mail if no answer.

Pictures: On our last run Jay took pictures of all the boats from a fishing pier. Having a stable platform to work from resulted in some great shots of the boats. On this event, Jay will be positioned on the Naples pier and will capture us as we pass by. He is asking that we approach the pier from offshore on an angle ( see illustrative picture he has posted below ) which will allow him to get a straight on shot of you, and then by swinging back offshore will allow him to capture your boat from the side. Please do not come close to the pier as there is a minimum distance that must be kept. His telephoto lens can capture you nicely from a quarter to a half mile away. As always after each run, Jay will post his pictures up on OSO and I will provide links so you can view them on your computer. You may contact Jay directly should you wish to purchase any of the pictures.

Tide Info: Note the low tide (see table below) in the morning. Can you get the boat off the lift or launch at the ramps? Something to think about in advance.

Cape Coral Bridge : LT – 8:30 AM; HT – 3:49 PM; LT - 6:02 PM
Sanibel Bridge (Punta Rassa): LT – 5:09 AM; HT – 1:33 PM; LT – 2:41 PM
Estero Bay (Little Hickory Island): LT – 5:23 AM; HT – 1:36 PM; LT – 2:55 PM
Naples Bay (north end): LT – 4:54 AM; HT – 12:24 PM; LT – 4:46 PM
Marco River: LT – 4:53 AM; HT – 12:27 PM; LT – 4:40 PM

Waypoints:

Sanibel Bridge: N 26 29 00; W 82 00 88.
Naples: ( Gordon Pass ) N 26 05 50; W 81 48 67.
Marco Island: N 25 58 38; W 81 46 25

Weather / Sea Conditions: to be posted here on OSO 5 days prior to event and updated daily referencing The Weather Channel as well as NOAA Marine Weather.

Safety: Each boat Captain is required to operate his / her vessel in a safe manner and is responsible for his / her crew and their safety.

Contact Info: Bob cell: 239-776-0481 e mail: [email protected]

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 12-12-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Club Sponsors: Ft. Myers Offshore would like to recognize it's corporate sponsors for helping make these events possible and their contribution to our club and the student scholarship fund:

A-1 Fuel - Serving SW Florida with all types and grades of fuel delivered to your boat dock or construction site Phone: 239 246 4777 Contact: Mike or Karen

B & C Shutters and Awnings, Ft. Myers - Hurricane protection Phone:239 738 6200 Website: http://www.bcshuttersplus.com/ Contact: Bob Martin

DoubleR Performance, ON, Canada - Nor Tech dealer and various used boat sales and Certified Mercury parts and service - Phone: 705 487 7575 Website: http://www.doublerperformance.com/ Contact: Peter Roberts

IBR Realty, Marco Island / Naples - Real Estate Sales Phone:239 389 1711 Website: http://www.ibrbrokerage.com/ Contact: Hans Haedelt

Nor Tech Boats, North Ft. Myers - Custom boat builder / sales and service Phone: 239 994 9470 Website: http://www.nor-techboats.com/ Contact: Terry Sobo

NaplesImage.com , Naples - Sports photography Phone: 941 276 5650 e mail [email protected] Contact: Jay Nichols

Sunmaster of Naples, Inc. - Storm / security shutters; ornamental metal; custom canvas Phone: 239 261 3581 Website: http://www.sunmasterinc.com/ Contact: JohnWilkinson

Speedwear Designz - Sports and corporate apparel. Phone 909 476 8137 Website:http://www.speedwear.com/ Contact: Dave Thomas

Cobra Power – High performance marine engines, drives, transmissions and custom rigging. Phone: 305 893 5018 Website: http://www.CobraPower.com/ Contact: Randy Garciga

Cedar Bay Yacht Club – Marco Island, rack storage, marine mechanics, fuel, boat rentals. Phone: 239 394 9333 Website: http://www.cedarbayyachtclub.com/ Contact: Pam Watson

Shogren Performance Marine, New & used boat sales and service. Phone: 847 336 9037 Dealer for Nor Tech, Fountain and Sunsation Boats. Website: http://www.teamshogren.com/ Contact: Scott Shogren

Mr. Alec Cloke, (OSO Catastrophe) ON, Canada, Cape Coral, FL

Mr. Dan Davies, (OSO Earthwerks) Chicago, IL, Marco Island, FL

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 12-11-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Esplanade and dockage pictures:
Attached Thumbnails Roll Call / Information Thread, New Years Day 2011 fun run to Marco Island, FL-esplanade-1.jpg   Roll Call / Information Thread, New Years Day 2011 fun run to Marco Island, FL-esplanade-2.jpg   Roll Call / Information Thread, New Years Day 2011 fun run to Marco Island, FL-esplanade-docking.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 12-11-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Photo shoot from Naples Pier

I would like to suggest a variation on what we did last time.

Instead of running perpendicular to the pier...

run straight at it

and turn when you feel comfortable.

When I see you coming at me I can lock on to you
and have an opportunity for three different shots:
head-on/tunnel shot
turn shot
side view.

Something good is bound to happen!

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG

Last edited by jayboat; 12-12-2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: add graphic
Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Count me in, Bob work your magic for good
weather!!!!! See everyone on the first.
and Happy and safe Holidays to all.
Rick

Last edited by bajarick; 12-12-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Amanda and I are all ready to go! Have a great holidays and we will see you Jan 1st.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will most likely not make this one.

An extremely low tide Sat morning which would require my getting the boat off the lift and onto the trailer a few days before the run, in combination with very busy holiday season, have all conspired against me.

I will keep the boat list up to date, for the run.

Updated boat list, below.

Last edited by AppSysCons; 12-13-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks Frank.. We will miss you but understand its hard to do them all. You do have a great attendance record tho and appreciate the support you and others have shown for what has evolved into a great club.
Bob
Old 12-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Count me in!

The Nor-Tech is back in the water and Annette and I will see you all at the Bridge.
J. Jay Forbes
Old 12-13-2010, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We will be there

We will be there in new Nortech 39CC

Team Shogren

www.teamshogren.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.