Discussion, Ft. Myers Offshore – 2011 / 2012 Event Schedule

Notices

Discussion, Ft. Myers Offshore – 2011 / 2012 Event Schedule

Old 07-21-2011, 04:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Discussion, Ft. Myers Offshore – 2011 / 2012 Event Schedule

Well it's that time of year again when we look ahead to the coming season and consider where and when we will do our usual 6 events. This is your opprtunity to give us your input on the events we will be putting on this coming fall / winter / spring. If you have any comments or suggestions on how to improve the “fun factor” on any of our events, please let us know by posting on our Ft Myers Offshore OSO blog or e mailing either myself or any of the FMO board members that you may know. If you have suggestions for a new destination it is important to consider distance, dockage and ability to handle our group that sometimes has over 25 boats and more than 100 people to be fed.

It is always nice to introduce at least one new destination each year in the interest of variety. Last season we dropped Lighthouse Restaurant at Sanibel Marina and added Burnt Store which seemed to be well liked. Previously we had dropped Harpoon Harry's and Useppa Island was added and became a nice addition.

Here is some food for thought – Some have been asking for a trip to Everglades City. Is it too far? What if we started from Naples or Marco and some came down the day before and overnighted at Naples Bay Resort or Marco Island ? ( I only have 3 bedrooms at the condo LOL ) There has also been a suggestion to do a cruise up the Caloosahatchee River as far as the first lock or even farther to Clewiston. Should we include Tarpon Point this year in the schedule ? Should we have a breakfast at Tarpon Point prior to one of our events to see how that is received ? ( it never happened last year but I still think it is a good idea ) Do we like and should we again do the high tide run thru Matlacha ? We had considered Parrot Key at Ft Myers Beach last year and they have since offered us an exclusive booking of the Big Game Bar & Grill next door. Good dockage there. Do we like the beach days we have at Keewaydin Island after lunch at Naples Bay Resort and Hamilton Harbor at the beginning and end of the season when the water is warm enough ? We have talked about an alternative beach like Cayo Costa but have not done that yet. Lani Kai was tried once but did not work well with windy weather and crowds that weekend. Should we be designating a place we can all gather after our lunch run instead of dispersing our separate ways and make a day of it ? That would be optional of coarse. Do we do “Toys for Tots” again which I felt was very successful in it's inaugural year. Any thoughts on our 2 fund raising Blackjack poker runs ? It seemed like those participating enjoyed it.
The questions I put to you are all designed to generate discussion. Tell us what worked and what needs improving, please.

Dates: The Thanksgiving and New Years day runs are pretty well fixed dates that I expect that we will retain. After that we are looking at late October for the opener, late November, nothing in December because of Christmas, late January, nothing in February because of Miami boat show, then early March, and finale in early April.

Your input is welcome and invited in an effort to make FMO the great little club that it is, even better.
We would like to have your comments by the end of July ( gives us 12 days ) with a view to having the schedule finalized in early August.

Thank you,

Bob and your FMO Board of Directors

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 07-21-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

So far I have received 7 e mails, all with suggestions worth considering. I am away for the weekend but will be checking in from time to time. Please talk about this and keep the suggestions coming either here or by e mail.

It is an opportunity like I said to make a great little club even better.

Thank you,

Bob

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 07-23-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is so nice to be a part of a quality organization like FMO. Much Thanks to Bob and the entire FMO board and family.

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Some have been asking for a trip to Everglades City. Is it too far? What if we started from Naples or Marco and some came down the day before and overnighted at Naples Bay Resort or Marco Island ? ( I only have 3 bedrooms at the condo LOL )
Always wanted to get down there; however, considering the distance for those of us this far North, an overnight event might be more attractive.

There has also been a suggestion to do a cruise up the Caloosahatchee River as far as the first lock or even farther to Clewiston.
Another location I have wanted to try. I really like this one!

Should we include Tarpon Point this year in the schedule ?
Yes, it was a great destination.

Should we have a breakfast at Tarpon Point prior to one of our events to see how that is received ? ( it never happened last year but I still think it is a good idea )
We did this virtually every event up in NJ at NJPPC, and it seemed to be very well received. I guess I'll need to install headlights on my boat, I may be dark when I need to leave my lift, to get there in time for breakfast.

Do we like and should we again do the high tide run thru Matlacha ?
The time I rode with you, this was a very enjoyable trip. Can we consider making it a part of the pre lunch run?

Do we like the beach days we have at Keewaydin Island after lunch at Naples Bay Resort and Hamilton Harbor at the beginning and end of the season when the water is warm enough ? We have talked about an alternative beach like Cayo Costa but have not done that yet. Lani Kai was tried once but did not work well with windy weather and crowds that weekend.
I personally enjoy taking my boat to the beach; however, this usually means getting wet, and warmer water is better. Late Oct?