Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > Ft Myers Offshore
FMO - Shogren Performance Marine Charity run to Useppa Island, Sat March 3 / 12 >

FMO - Shogren Performance Marine Charity run to Useppa Island, Sat March 3 / 12

Notices

FMO - Shogren Performance Marine Charity run to Useppa Island, Sat March 3 / 12

Old 02-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rich Gerth and crew just called and said we are in.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

We are not going to make this event. We close on our new house on Friday and Amanda is sick with Streph Throat....... Everyone be safe, have fun and we will see you all on the next run!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By size-brand, 26 confirmed, so far

26 Scarab / Jim Peters / Jacksonville
30 Advantage / Ernst Thelman ( Raceboats Germany ) / Germany
30 Skater / appsyscons (Frank Fasulo) / Port Charlotte
32 Sunsation / Temper Tanrtum (Stan & Inez Quinn) / Ottawa CAN
32 Spectre / tax man (Eric & Keri) / Ft. Myers
36 Baja / bajarick / Cape Coral
37 Active Thunder / Bob & Shari Smallwood (mrsattadj2) / Cape Coral FL
38 Cigarette / US MUSL / Cape Coral
38 Cigarette / Joe Cardaci (JOETOOL) / Ft. Myers Beach - NY
38 Cigarette / pasunbum / Cape Coral
39 Cigarette / Bernie / Ft. Myers
38 Donzi ZR / bobthebuilder (Bob Barnhart) / Marco Island - Canada
38 Donzi / Joe Rutter / Cape Coral
38 Donzi ZR / Jean Malouin / Ottawa - Cape Coral
38 Formula / Andy Kidd / Naples - ON Canada
38 Fountain / Richard Gerth / Canada - Port Charlotte
39 Nortech / Tom Camisa / Cape Coral - NJ
39 Nortech / Ron & Pam / Sarasota
39 Sutphen / Vic Priestly / Cape Coral, ON Canada
39 Sutphen / Bob Martin / Cape Coral
42 Fountain / Sam & Joy Maye / Cape Coral, ON Canada
42 MTI / Pierre Brousseau / Caledon East, CAN
42 Outerlimits / Ken and Karen Trelfa / Ft. Myers Beach
43 Nortech CC / Alec Cloke / Cape Coral, Canada
43 Nortech / Brian & Janet Lundy / Ottawa, ON
43 Nortech / Nathan Reid / Marco Island - ON, Canada
Old 03-02-2012, 06:06 AM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Well looks like I have to cancel as we are backed up at work and it looks like we will work the weekend to try and catch up. Be safe and hopefully see everyone next month!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Sorry it's so hot !! LOL

Weather looks gorgeous. Mostly sunny and mid 80's. NOAA is still predicting SSW winds at up to 15 knots which will make for a nice ride in a following sea for those running offshore.

Remember 2 groups. First group will run past Sanibel pier where Jay will get your picture before heading up the ICW. The pace boat for the ICW group will be Tom Camisa in his 39' Nor Tech centre console. ( blue hull ) Tom will fly a yellow flag as well as myself. Tom will position his boat out by the first green marker to the south of the bridge prior to the start.

We will wait a few minutes before the second group starts.

Second group ( offshore ) should then follow me when I will take the offshore group past the pier before making a u turn and returning past the pier again before rounding the bottom end of Sanibel and up the coast where we will leave the Gulf either at Redfish Pass or further up at Boca Grande Pass. From there we will head over to Useppa Island.

It will be easier if the two groups are separated by some distance at the bridge. ICW group will assemble out by the green marker and offshore group closer to the bridge.

As most will know it is our intentions after lunch to return thru Matlacha which we have done in years past and is a lot of fun. All are invited for a social hour at the Big Game Club next to Parrot Key in Ft Myers Beach. This is optional and not part of the organized event. I expect we will depart about 2:45 PM for Matlacha / FMB.

I received a call from Useppa Island today and they are really looking forward to our return. Nice. An artist lady that has a shop there has done up a sketch and welcoming message on a chalk board to show her appreciation. They are also setting up a refreshment stand ( non alcoholic ) and will be offering us a cold drink on arrival.

Also the dock master has called in extra help. I will donate $100 to him on behalf of the club and if anyone wants to contribute a small sum towards that would be welcome to do so. No obligation.

See you at the bridge in the morning.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails FMO - Shogren Performance Marine Charity run to Useppa Island, Sat March 3 / 12-screen-shot-2012-03-02-11.02.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 03-02-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its looking good out there see everyone at
the bridge.
Rick
Old 03-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had better days!

In the last FMO event my PORT eng failed 25 miles out, as I was checking out the Gulf
at Boca Grande pass. I got home, drove the car to Sarasota, and enjoyed the weekend.
Never really found the 'cause' of the problem, checked a bunch of things and it is no longer
failing.

Today I went about 50 miles from my lift to the 'miserable mile, marker #5".
At about 42mph my PORT eng shuts down "guardian mode" and at that low speed the
prop is still caring the sponson, it dips, boat hooks, not really a big deal. I look over my
left shoulder, there are quite a few boats in the area, look back, and think I am already out
of a very narrow channel.....really shallow just ahead.....only going 35 now.......don't want
to catch bottom on side of boat while turning hard back......slow down and turn....opps on
sandy bottom. I get out, and start pushing boat as other boat wakes lift me...a few more
feet...opps the wind and waves are caring me further and further on the bar. Two small
CC fish boats come over, jump out and we try pushing. Not getting anywhere..1 hour gone.
OK time to call the pros.

Sea Tow, was on site in 30 or so minutes after I call them. Once he had a plan, I was off
in 2 minutes. A bit of paper work, and on my way back.

In charlotte Harbor I had waves crashing over my STBD quarter, I stuffed the sponsons a
few times, at very moderate speeds.

Get back to my lift, which is 360 ft straight out in the river and blowing like crazy. I am not
sure how, but the boat parked herself, over the lift. I grab my lift remote, notice a bright
red light on it, which is unusual, push the button and nothing. Had to call the house and
got our son sent out, to run me up.

Not quite the adventure I had planned, home now, nothing bad broke, still have PORT eng mystery, and have to figure out my lift remote.

See you all next time.

Last edited by AppSysCons; 03-03-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Sorry to hear about that Frank. We missed you and wondered what happened. My first thought was the stiff breeze out of the south may have been a problem as you worked your way down Charlotte Harbor. Main thing is your OK and I'm sure will get the mechanical issues sorted out.

Bob
Old 03-03-2012, 07:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Well it was a good, but long day for our crew. The run up from Marco to the bridge took a bit longer than expected with seas running 3 to 5 ft with the odd 6 ftr thrown in to keep us on our toes. With the winds being at least 5 knots more than forecast all boats ran up the ICW. It was a great ride in a following sea with about 24 boats arriving at Useppa Island for lunch. I dropped our crew off and then went back to pick up Jay at the Green Flash so he could join us for lunch. After lunch most of the fleet made the trip back south via the Matlacha channel. As always that was a blast with all the twists and turns including a couple of 180 deg switchbacks. I can’t wait to see Jay’s pictures thru that area. From there some headed for home, others went over to the Big Game Club at FMB while I ran Jay back up to Green Flash where his car was.
It was a great day for FMO and it’s membership. Thank you all who came out and supported the Club and what we stand for.
Next run is Sat. April 7th, our season finale when we go to Hamilton Harbor in Naples then over to the beach at Keewaydin Island.

Bob
Old 03-03-2012, 09:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Another great day with the group! (how many times have I said that?)
Thanks for the ride, Bob! Great to see everyone again.
I got plenty of good shots of everyone- so stay tuned.

Here's one as we're leaving from Useppa Island.

LARGE

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.