View Poll Results: GAS vs DIESEL
GAS
15
13.76%
DIESEL
91
83.49%
NO Difference
3
2.75%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree0Likes

DIESEL vs GAS?

Reply
Old 05-25-2005, 12:18 PM
  #31
OSO OG
Gold Member
 
DollaBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Blue Martini Hall of Fame
My Boats: Making hot chicks hotter since 2010
Posts: 7,031
Default Re: DIESEL vs GAS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi
My A$$. I don't believe that for a second. I have friends that sell cruisers, and they ALL say the diesel is the way to go. The resale value is much higher for a diesel. I have a diesel truck also, you couldn't give me a gas truck.

Maybe in So Cal, but not the east coast. I am not talking opinion, I'm talking facts.
DollaBill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:42 PM
  #32
Registered
 
Semper Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,234
Default Re: DIESEL vs GAS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyafountain.com
Maybe in So Cal, but not the east coast. I am not talking opinion, I'm talking facts.
I am talking facts also. How can you even compare a gas to diesel?? Diesel is CHEAPER, lasts 5X LONGER, RESALE is BETTER.
Not too mention the strain on a gas motor in a heavy cruiser. Diesels like to run at like 90% capacity, gas motors do not.
Semper Fi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:44 PM
  #33
Registered
 
Semper Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,234
Default Re: DIESEL vs GAS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea32

How much did you spend on gas last weekend? I spend about $200 to $400 each weekend I use the boat. When its $400 to $800 per gallon? Maybe getting twice the mileage on diesel will make one hell of a lot of sense.

Soon, this will not be a question anyone asks, because the answer will always be the same. "Diesel, of course."
I couldn't agree more. People think they are saving money by not spending xtra money getting the diesels (in the right application) in the first place. You cannot go wrong with diesels.
Semper Fi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:11 AM
  #34
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,425
Default Re: DIESEL vs GAS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea32
How much did you spend on gas last weekend? I spend about $200 to $400 each weekend I use the boat. When its $400 to $800 per gallon? Maybe getting twice the mileage on diesel will make one hell of a lot of sense.
Twice the mileage??? This must be some sort of miracle diesel, or it is being compared to a two-stroke gasoline engine with fouled plugs.

Michael
Michael1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:43 AM
  #35
OSO OG
Gold Member
 
DollaBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Blue Martini Hall of Fame
My Boats: Making hot chicks hotter since 2010
Posts: 7,031
Default Re: DIESEL vs GAS?

I was not addressing the question Capo had from a "logic" sense. I was telling him the pro's and con's from a $$$$ standpoint. No question that in anything other than a small boat or a performance boat diesel is the way to go. The problem is that even though most of can afford these toys, we don't flush money down the drain everyday.

Therefore, you must examine the "cost of ownership". Most people keep a boat about 3 years. When you factor in depreciation as a % and the overall amount of money invested, it takes much longer than 2 or 3 years to recoup the premium you pay for diesel power.
DollaBill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:38 AM
  #36
Registered
 
Semper Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,234
Default Re: DIESEL vs GAS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyafountain.com

Therefore, you must examine the "cost of ownership". Most people keep a boat about 3 years. When you factor in depreciation as a % and the overall amount of money invested, it takes much longer than 2 or 3 years to recoup the premium you pay for diesel power.
I do see your point I would agree it does matter how much you use the vessel. Personally for me, there is no comparison (gas vs. diesel) in a larger boat or 1 ton pickup
I think that the price of gas these days is seriously closing that gap. Most of the experienced boaters I know who buy cruisers or larger boats (non-performance boats) buy diesels. I think the lower end boats and newer people to boating buy more gas motors because it will bring a lower purchase price.
A 3yr old boat with 150 hrs on gas motors would probably need some freshening, where the diesels would be ready to go.

Last edited by Semper Fi; 05-26-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Semper Fi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:39 PM
  #37
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member
 
CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: North and South
My Boats: Sonic 30ss
Posts: 1,974
Default Re: DIESEL vs GAS?

I thought alot about desiels for my next larger boat. Problem with desiels is that they do not like to sit. Many desiels go kaput from internal rust after a mere 1,500 hours. Try fifty grand for each motor vs 5K for new crusaders! Talking about dropping them into cruiser/fish type boats here.

If you ran the motors every week to normal temp (or had someone do it) and used the boat alot to make the extra 45K *2 expense worth it in fuel savings, then desiels would be good. I seriously doubt desiels are worthwhile in say a forty foot boat that sits in Miami for six months between uses. And, when it is used, only goes a few miles for cruises to the local waterfront bar, or sailfish off Miami Beach.

Anyone know what 500 HP Yanmars cost each, or equivilent MANs? What is the premium over Merc 500 HP blue motors?
CBR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:57 PM
  #38
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,371
Default Re: DIESEL vs GAS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR
I thought alot about desiels for my next larger boat. Problem with desiels is that they do not like to sit. Many desiels go kaput from internal rust after a mere 1,500 hours. Try fifty grand for each motor vs 5K for new crusaders! Talking about dropping them into cruiser/fish type boats here.

If you ran the motors every week to normal temp (or had someone do it) and used the boat alot to make the extra 45K *2 expense worth it in fuel savings, then desiels would be good. I seriously doubt desiels are worthwhile in say a forty foot boat that sits in Miami for six months between uses. And, when it is used, only goes a few miles for cruises to the local waterfront bar, or sailfish off Miami Beach.

Anyone know what 500 HP Yanmars cost each, or equivilent MANs? What is the premium over Merc 500 HP blue motors?
Cost is appr. 5k more vs a 525. Then you have to put a serious drives to handle the 900 plus ft. pds. of torque, like some ASD-8's. The acceleration is unbelievable, but suffers some on top end. The cruise is where it's at, less than 1/2 the fuel burn, and thats what im after. Jeff

Last edited by Jassman; 05-05-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:35 PM
  #39
Registered
 
Cattitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Tulsa, OK, Grand, Beaver, LOTO
My Boats: '97 Scarb Thunder, '06 Formula 330ss for sale
Posts: 1,213
Default Re: DIESEL vs GAS?

how many hours a yr? is relibility an issue if you are going to keep it and put 500+ hours on it?

I love disel, but can't justify if you are not doing long sea trips or going to rack the hrs way above normal
Cattitude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:54 PM
  #40
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Kansas City, Mo
My Boats: 06 Sea Ray 44
Posts: 38
Default Re: DIESEL vs GAS?

I just bought a 06 sea ray 44 and I have the standard horizons in the boat. It has a top speed about three mph slower than the diesels. It cruises about 6 mph slower and and burns about 10 gallons more per hour at cruise speed. I really wanted the diesels but couldn't justify the extra 75K. If I had it to do all over again I would buy gas. It really depends on the year of the motors and the brand. Cats are really expensive to fix. The motors have to be pulled for anything to be done inside them. I can buy new horizons for what it cost to refresh diesels. All in all, it depends on where and how you are going to use the boat. If I were boating on an ocean instead of a lake I wouldn't consider gas. For me, I boat at LOTO and will go through about 1 more tank per season with the gas motors. No way I was going to pay the extra 75K for diesel. Resale may be better for diesel but as a percentage of the purchase price it is not, at least not at LOTO.
fazznick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Velocity Tom
Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
31
12-26-2007 11:47 AM
Canada Jeff
Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
22
08-06-2007 01:18 AM
SS930
General Boating Discussion
34
05-11-2004 11:56 AM
BAD-HABIT
General Q & A
4
04-14-2003 01:53 AM
bsag
General Boating Discussion
21
01-27-2003 12:13 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.