Like Tree0Likes

Part it out? or sell complete turn key?

Reply
Old 05-19-2005, 01:57 PM
  #1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 308
Default Part it out? or sell complete turn key?

Would I be better off taking out the 700ci engines and selling them and then selling the boat without power? Do you think a boat like this w/o power is more desirable? Since this boat is somewhat unique, I would like some professional opinions on the best way to proceed. Advise?

What do you Apache guys find is the best scenario?

1989 Scarab (Larry Smith) 38', #5 drives, 6 pack, no cabin, staggered 700ci engines.

Honestly not trying to SPAM you guys, just looking for some professional/experienced advise. Things are kinda slow right now.
jody165 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:06 PM
  #2
Charter Member #232
Charter Member
 
Audiofn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Carlisle, MA USA
My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
Posts: 18,379
Default Re: Part it out? or sell complete turn key?

Hard to say really. If it was me I would try and sell it both ways and when you get a buyer then do what ever they want. Only takes a few hours to pull the motors. IMO you will probably get more tire kickers with the seperate parts, but you may also get a little more money that way as well?

Jon
__________________
Put your best foot forward!
Audiofn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:44 PM
  #3
Registered
 
magnum27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chat TN
My Boats: Magnum Starfire, Phantom svl
Posts: 733
Default Re: Part it out? or sell complete turn key?

I can't believe that boat hasn't sold yet, it would probably sell easier on the east coast
magnum27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:47 PM
  #4
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member
 
Stormrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
My Boats: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD
Posts: 8,811
Default Re: Part it out? or sell complete turn key?

If you just wait 5-8yrs I'll buy it.
Stormrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:54 PM
  #5
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
lucky strike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida
My Boats: Using LS JR. TG
Posts: 8,468
Default Re: Part it out? or sell complete turn key?

jody--I looked at your boat, its really nice can't believe that you haven't sold it yet. Maybe you need to get it to South Florida. Bigger market here.
Or as they say----price sells------ offer it for less $
It was nice meeting you while I was on the left coast.
I would think you would get more for it in one piece

L.S.
lucky strike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:59 PM
  #6
Registered
 
dockrocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Deeee-troit!
Posts: 3,356
Default Re: Part it out? or sell complete turn key?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider
If you just wait 5-8yrs I'll buy it.
That's what I was thinking!
dockrocker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:00 PM
  #7
Registered
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)
 
tomtbone1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: LAKE CONROE, TX
My Boats: 42 FOUNTAIN / MALIBU
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Part it out? or sell complete turn key?

Jody, the numbers I ran when we were disscusing a trade, i think you would be better off 1 piece. Tom
tomtbone1993 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:05 PM
  #8
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 308
Default Re: Part it out? or sell complete turn key?

Thanks for your opinions.

LS, i was thinking that with the cost to ship a boat to Florida plus the commission from the broker to sell it, I might as well keep it here and drop the price. So I did that. This logic would seem to apply to those selling boats in the NorthEast also.

Looks like I am overestimating what the market will bare ... but I actually have had less action since lowering the price almost $10k. Go figure.

I was thinking that maybe the 700ci engines were scaring people for some reason (fear of the unknown)...also, people like to fix things up the way they want them versus the way I have it. Thought that pulling the engines might bring some mechanically inclined people out of the woodworks.

Last edited by jody165; 05-19-2005 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spelling errors
jody165 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:11 PM
  #9
Registered
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)
 
tomtbone1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: LAKE CONROE, TX
My Boats: 42 FOUNTAIN / MALIBU
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Part it out? or sell complete turn key?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody165
Thanks for your opinions.

LS, i was thinking that with the cost to ship a boat to Florida plus the commission from the broker to sell it, I might as well keep it here and drop the price. So I did that. This logic would seem to apply to those selling boats in the NorthEast also.

Looks like I am overestimating what the market will bare ... but I actually have had less action since lowering the price almost $10k. Go figure.

I was thinking that maybe the 700ci engines were scaring people for some reason (fear of the unknown)...also, people like to fix things up the way they want them versus the way I have it. Thought that pulling the engines might bring some mechanically inclined people out of the woodworks.



You still have to put big motors, back in to get proper use of the drives. If you pull the drives and motors, you would have to redo the transom for Bravo's.

Have you tried E-bay?

You just have a very unique and awesome boat period, it will take that special person. Tom
tomtbone1993 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:14 PM
  #10
Charter Mod
Charter Member
 
BLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: E Dock
My Boats: Cigarette - "90MPH" Edition
Posts: 6,551
Default Re: Part it out? or sell complete turn key?

If you part it out you will just get a bunch of lowball offers and end up losing more money and time. There are LOTS of parts out there, but not many clean Larry Smith Scarabs.

I don't follow Scarabs much, but my guess is that your price may be too high if your not getting calls.
BLee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
thumper038
Chris Craft
58
12-08-2016 01:24 AM
JUSTONCE
General Boating Discussion
49
07-13-2006 07:42 PM
ApolloMaxim
General Boating Discussion
10
04-13-2006 07:13 PM
kswest
General Boating Discussion
38
04-08-2006 09:41 PM
G Man
General Q & A
5
09-02-2005 08:58 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.