Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   3 drunks in a dead boat in the middle of the lake at night... (rant) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/103831-3-drunks-dead-boat-middle-lake-night-rant.html)

Sydwayz 05-22-2005 09:14 PM

3 drunks in a dead boat in the middle of the lake at night... (rant)

This REALLY pisses me off. Returning from evening entertainment on Saturday night, brisk evening with clear moon, and a very flat lake, came across about a 24 ft. performance boat of some type, waving us down. We circled around, and came back. They asked for a tow, which would have been about 5 miles. Unfortunately, we had a commitment, as we were the only ones with the keys to get in the condo, and others were meeting us there by land and had to get in. We alerted them to our issue, and offered to call CG or WP for assistance. I began to hail on the radio, and they immediately started screaming at us to stop, go ahead, and that they would be fine.

We left.

I pray that no one got hurt running into these fools. They did have running and anchor lights working, but "no spotlight, flares or radio." We were in 120 ft. of water too, so I doubt they had 150+ ft. of anchor line. I apologize for my harshness especially if the folks are here on OSO, but I have no patience for this BS. Its stupidity like this that gives us all a bad image and worse.

dockrocker 05-22-2005 10:54 PM

Re: 3 drunks in a dead boat in the middle of the lake at night... (rant)

You should've called the CG anyway - I would've.

Audiofn 05-23-2005 12:19 AM

Maybe they started to drink AFTER they broke down :drink: :drink: :p :p

The Menace 05-23-2005 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Maybe they started to drink AFTER they broke down :drink: :drink: :p :p

That would have been my story.

A buddy of mine had been drinking and had a single car mishap (went off the road into a ditch). Convienently located only a few hundred feet away was a bar. He went down and had a couple drinks until the cops came. He said he was shaken by the incident and needed a drink.

No DUI. Only towing fees, slight pride and car damage. He walked back to the bar and called me for a ride instead of bail. Which in fact he has done before.

OldSchool 05-23-2005 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
This REALLY pisses me off. Returning from evening entertainment on Saturday night, brisk evening with clear moon, and a very flat lake, came across about a 24 ft. performance boat of some type, waving us down. We circled around, and came back. They asked for a tow, which would have been about 5 miles. Unfortunately, we had a commitment, as we were the only ones with the keys to get in the condo, and others were meeting us there by land and had to get in. We alerted them to our issue, and offered to call CG or WP for assistance. I began to hail on the radio, and they immediately started screaming at us to stop, go ahead, and that they would be fine.

We left.

I pray that no one got hurt running into these fools. They did have running and anchor lights working, but "no spotlight, flares or radio." We were in 120 ft. of water too, so I doubt they had 150+ ft. of anchor line. I apologize for my harshness especially if the folks are here on OSO, but I have no patience for this BS. Its stupidity like this that gives us all a bad image and worse.

So, who was broken down? Was it Rich or James?? :eek: :D :drink: :drink:

Were these guys who broke the only people who you saw drink and boat this weekend??????

hp500efi 05-23-2005 06:06 AM

I would have offered assistance anyway....whats 5 miles...those on land could have had a few beers knowning you were offering a helping hand.

docmanrich37 05-23-2005 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by craig223
So, who was broken down? Was it Rich or James?? :eek: :D :drink: :drink:

Were these guys who broke the only people who you saw drink and boat this weekend??????

Was not either one of us.it was really Brian and the ladies he had on the boat that where drinking and he stopped the boat and told the ladies he was out of gas and they would all have too spend the night together with him on the boat.All i know is he came to my condo and was asking for some RED BULL the next am and had a big smile on he's face.lol

bouyhunter 05-23-2005 06:13 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's different out on the water.
You ALWAYS stop and offer assistance. And then make good on your offer.
I wouldn't do the same thing on the highway, but the water is different.

What if the guy's that broke where the only ones holding keys for a condo that they were expecting guests at??
Give them a tow, It could happen to you.

AMERICAN BAD A$$ 05-23-2005 06:16 AM

Sydwayz .... Are you coming to SML this weekend ?

Formula Outlaw 05-23-2005 07:00 AM

Think maybe I would have tried to locate a cell phone and maybe called the people who were expecting me to explain the issue. A 45 minute delay to tow someone in is worth it, it can happen to any of us. Just my two cents.

Sydwayz 05-23-2005 07:29 AM

Believe me, I went back and forth on this several times. They just told us to go, and that they had another buddy on the way. I was a volunteer FF for 10 years, so I always stop and offer assistance.

I thought of the same thing too, that if the CG/WP showed up, they could have started drinking after they broke down. However, if they did not have a bunch of empties on the boat, they would be busted.

We did call those on land and let them know we would be late. (However, it was 7 women we were meeting back at the condo.) The folks in the boat just started screaming as soon as I turned on the radio.

I have zero tolerance for drunk boating and drunk driving. I have seen too many people including friends killed and hurt (being a FF in a very small town, you know everyone at an accident) over the years, and I can't comprehend putting oneself in that situation. I am not trying to proclaim myself all high and mighty. I am not better than those folks we ran across on the water, but I do know I would never have put myself in that particular situation. I didn't not help them because of their situation. I offered help and I was not about to leave several women in the middle of no where with no place to go and lock the door. I left because they told us too and that they were fine.

Sydwayz 05-23-2005 07:45 AM

ABA, I am not sure. The rubber to make that trip is getting expensive. :D I think I will probably stay closer to home Memorial Day weekend, but SML is never out of the question.

Theboopgal 05-23-2005 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
Think maybe I would have tried to locate a cell phone and maybe called the people who were expecting me to explain the issue. A 45 minute delay to tow someone in is worth it, it can happen to any of us. Just my two cents.

The offer of a tow was put out there, but they would have had to wait until the key was delivered. They chose not to exercise that option. So he did the right thing and even went a step beyond that to call for additional assistance. They also said they had already called a friend to help. The delay would have been much longer than 45 minutes for the friends stranded at the condo than for the delay for the illegals on the water. Perhaps time to sober up would have taught them a lesson.

29scarab 05-23-2005 09:36 AM

Sydwayz did his part.

He offered help and they declined. End of story. You can't force your help on someone who doesnt want it.

You did your part.

robyw1 05-23-2005 09:37 AM

Me? I would have called for assistance anyway. They could be a sitting duck out there for another boat.

I always tow someone in if they need. You never know how long one might be waiting out there for assistance after dark. There could be someone on there who for instance might be a diabetic that could need to get to medication. Also the fact that they might not have any food or water on board. I believe that most any boater would do this. Now you don't necessarily need to tow them several miles to the marina they came from like if it is several hours away but in that case i will tow them to the nearest marina where they can get food, water if need be and call for a ride.

I remember once I was an idiot when I kept my stereo on too long running my batteries down. I was stuck and I was only about 1/4 mile away from a marina. I paid a guy $20 (he didn't accept so I had to force it on him) for the short tow and I called a cab. I went to the other marina got the truck/trailer and drove back. Guess what? the boat started right up. Oh well life is still good.

Roby

docmanrich37 05-23-2005 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by 29scarab
Sydwayz did his part.

He offered help and they declined. End of story. You can't force your help on someone who doesnt want it.

You did your part.

Brian did he's part and if anyone knows him they would know that about him.End of story.

Sydwayz 05-23-2005 09:58 AM

Its not my job to keep people out of trouble. It is everyone's job to keep people out of danger. I am upset that these folks put themselves into a position of potential danger and chose keeping out of trouble as a priority over keeping out of danger. I am not looking for any justification. Irresponsibility really pisses me off, and I will be the first one to admit my own.

Sydwayz 05-23-2005 10:47 AM

I knew that last reply was going to be interesting. I did offer to tow them, we were even getting lines ready, and I would have towed them to where we were going. As soon as I said "Monsoon to CG" on the radio, they screamed at us to leave them alone. Had I tied up to them after that, I would think that would be kidnapping.

Good reading for a Monday. :D

OldSchool 05-23-2005 11:02 AM

So will this be the end of the public service announcements?

:D :evilb: :drink: :evilb: :p :evilb:

Sydwayz 05-23-2005 11:19 AM

LOL, yeah, I guess so Craig. I love a good controversy.

I am not a liar. I gave them several options. They chose their choice.

You can call me a liar when you do something positive to contribute to OSO.

RollWithIt 05-23-2005 11:39 AM

I would have shot all of them. Dropped their bodies in the water tied to the anchor. Then sank the boat so that no innocent third party boaters would have to deal with the mental anguish from hitting a boat at night.

Sorry, but the people jumping on Brian are way off the mark. Ive met him and he is a stand up guy who would help others before thinking of himself. Re-read what he said happened. He offered to tow them. And 5 miles at idle speed is more than 45 minutes. Try it once, if you have the patience. He also said that they had working lights. How else do you think he saw them in the first place. So it wasnt a dark boat in the dark night. I can see his frustration in that they were in that deep of water and did not have the boat properly equiped. Anybody can break down. Heck, I had the impeller on the water pump seize up once and trashed the belts on the boat. I got towed in. The irrisponsibility is not having the proper equipment. Have flares, additional lights, a radio and a proper anchor line. Hell, I got 200 foot of line. And I boat on a river that is 40 foot deep.

Phknlwyr 05-23-2005 11:41 AM

lyre n.

A stringed instrument of the harp family having two curved arms connected at the upper end by a crossbar, used to accompany a singer or reciter of poetry, especially in ancient Greece.

Brian is a lot of things, but certainly not a lyre!

SLINGSHOT 05-23-2005 11:51 AM

well for one i would have called the cg......imagine if those drunk idiots crashed into the side of yoru boat and killed your wife kids or girlfriend?

Wally 05-23-2005 01:36 PM

Theres idiots everywhere you go though.....few years back i was cruising along and saw a guys anchor light flash on and off twice..........so i moved to intercept and see if they needed help......as i was approaching he had his lights off and then turned them back on as i got closer........i asked if he needed any help.....his reply was "no we're allright here" And i said well you better keep the lights on or your gonna get hit out here......he then replied something to the point of "what are you a wanna be cop?".........And i said "nope but i do have a boat that 3x your size and probably weighs 4x as much as yours.....you think theres gonna be anything left of you if i run you over cause you have your lights off trying to get a piece from your lady friend???" I then continued with "Go out into more open water weres theres less traffic and have at.....if you want to stay close to shore then keep you lights on or i'll call the coasties and they will have a filed day with you, cause i'm sure you dont have all the saftey equipment onboard!" and i took off......i dont need aggrivation from idiots!!! :(

But on the flip side...theres always a nice group of people you run into that rely do need help and are very thankfull for it........i think this was the same year but down in LOTO....i came across an 30'ish IMP flashing me down with a mag light........i stopped and they said they have motor/electrical problems...I towed them to their dock totaly the opposite way from where we were staying. This was about midnight or a bit after and no traffic on the lake at all......the guy wants to give me money....i declined twice.....he insists again and i jokeingly say "OK 3rd times a charm!" and took the money.....i didnt want it and didnt look at it till later....the guy gave me $50 which was awefully nice of him. Anyway the next day we are going through party cove and there they are right smack dab in the middle of the gauntlet!! they wave us over and MAKE me tie up with them.....we partied the rest of the day and made some new friends :D Later i come to find out from the guys GF that they ran out of gas last night!!! :D :D we all had a good laugh about it.

MILD THUNDER 05-23-2005 01:36 PM

Something similiar happened to me last year. I was boating on the chain of lakes in IL. I had my fiance and her relatives and two small children on my boat. While cruising around I noticed a guy in 16ft jet boat sitting in the water dead. As I got closer, I noticed his headers were mangled. Then I saw the other boat with a few couples on there that crashed into the jet boat. Apparently, the guy with the jetboat stalled, and the guy with the big boat ran right over the back of the jet boat. The guy driving the jet boat was higher than a kite on pot. The guy driving the big boat had way too many beers. I offered assistance, the jet boat driver wanted me to tow him back to the ramp a few miles away. The two drivers began to go back and forth arguing. I decided I am not getting in the middle, especially with two small kids on my boat. I told them I was going to call for the sheriff, and they both said not too, and insisted that I just tow him in. I had enough and called the sheriff on the vhf. They cam ein 5 minutes, asked me what happened, said thanks for the call, and I went about my business.

I felt bad, knowing the guy in the big boat probably got a dui, and plenty of other fines, but, he's lucky he didnt kill the guy in the jet boat, then he would be looking at manslaughter. I feel I did the right thing.

I do have a few pops while Im out on the boat. But I never exceed my limits to where it impairs my abilites to drive the boat with caution. These two guys should not have been walking, let alone driving a boat.

Then again, I would never leave a boat full of people out in the big water no matter if they wanted my help or not. I would have towed them regardless who was waiting for me at a condo :rolleyes: , or called the coasties. Whether or not these people were stupid or not, they were techincally in danger and needed help. Whether they wanted it or not.

tomtbone1993 05-23-2005 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by craig223
So will this be the end of the public service announcements?

:D :evilb: :drink: :evilb: :p :evilb:

i am just glad the 3 drunks wern't climbing a ladder............ :D :D :D :D

Wally 05-23-2005 02:02 PM

MT, there no way you should feel bad about calling the cops on them........they shouldnt have been there in the first place......they are the ones we hear about when something goes wrong and give the rest of the powerboat community a bad rep.

I see reckless people in every sport and wonder why they are still breathing.......back in my snowmobile days we would stop at local waterholes for a snack or something to drink. I dont drink and my buddy's only have one with food or so. But i see others that would fail a filed sobriety test in a heartbeat and they are off on 100mph + rockets going along a trail that 8' wide and has wiked turns at every corner.........and then you hear about them on the news when, (And i kid you not this happend a while back) an idiot runs HEAD ON into a plow truck!!!! :mad:

excursion 05-23-2005 03:40 PM

I love the newbie OSOer's that have no idea what is out there. You are not respsonable for everyone. Bryan would have done what was best for everyone.

Theboopgal 05-23-2005 03:54 PM

First; they had absolutely no business jeopardizing others and themselves by being in a boat, in the dark, on SML unprepared for a breakdown while thoroughly intoxicated or whatever else they may have been on. Crack, speed, marijuana, etc.... Second; an offer to tow was made. They would have had to wait about 5 minutes for the tow from Brian, while the fully sober friends (some needing to take meds. at a certain time for whatever reasons-diabetic, epilepsy, etc...) waited (not knowing what was causing a delay) for the other friend with the key on the boat. Third: One would think that if you "plan" to ride a boat in the dark, you would "plan" for the unexpected when on the water at night; like a breakdown.
Fourth: They had already called a friend who was on the way.
Seconds, minutes, whatever, they were on the way.
Fifth: I would never impose on a stranger for my blatant stupidity. We all need to take responsibility for our own actions. I had a friend who got lost out on SML in October one year, because he got drunk, and had to spend the night on his boat. At least he was prepared (didn't freeze to death) even though friends looked for them. And, the next day he showed up. He also learned his lesson. Never drink and drive anything. Do you really think these drunk boaters learned their lesson? I bet not and I bet they will do it again. Let's just pray they don't injure someone. They obviously didn't care about Brian or anyone else for that matter; and they obviously weren't in any danger or didn't care. One would hope if they were they would have let him know. If they were and said so, then concessions would certainly have been made. You can't play a "what if" game here; the facts were known and the right actions were taken.

docmanrich37 05-23-2005 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Theboopgal
First; they had absolutely no business jeopardizing others and themselves by being in a boat, in the dark, on SML unprepared for a breakdown while thoroughly intoxicated or whatever else they may have been on. Crack, speed, marijuana, etc.... Second; an offer to tow was made. They would have had to wait about 5 minutes for the tow from Brian, while the fully sober friends (some needing to take meds. at a certain time for whatever reasons-diabetic, epilepsy, etc...) waited (not knowing what was causing a delay) for the other friend with the key on the boat. Third: One would think that if you "plan" to ride a boat in the dark, you would "plan" for the unexpected if one needed medicine.
Fourth: They had already called a friend who was on the way.
Seconds, minutes, whatever, they were on the way.
Fifth: I would never impose on a stranger for my blatant stupidity. We all need to take responsibility for our own actions. I had a friend who got lost out on SML in October one year, because he got drunk, and had to spend the night on his boat. At least he was prepared (didn't freeze to death) even though friends looked for them. And, the next day he showed up. He also learned his lesson. Never drink and drive anything. Do you really think these drunk boaters learned their lesson? I bet not and I bet they will do it again. Let's just pray they don't injure someone. They obviously didn't care about Brian or anyone else for that matter; and they obviously weren't in any danger or didn't care. One would hope if they were they would have let him know. If they were and said so, then concessions would certainly have been made. You can't play a "what if" game here; the facts were known and the right actions were taken.

You Go Girl.

PhantomChaos 05-23-2005 04:01 PM

A lot of BIG soap boxes on this thread. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

birdog 05-23-2005 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Independent
"They asked for a tow, unfortunately, we had a commitment ...we offered to call"

Then in the next breath...

"I did offer to tow them"

They do seem to conflict ?

Formula Outlaw 05-23-2005 05:09 PM

First, I never meant to imply that I thought Sydwayz did anything wrong. I just put a thought out there, an idea, that's all.

Second, there have been several interesting and valid points brought up in this Thread, however given the situation, it's a lot like "Monday morning quarterbacking" to SOME extent. Probably the best thing would be for all of us to read and digest what's been constructively written here.

Third: 5 miles in 45 minutes averages out to 6.6666... mph. That is slower than my idle speed. I've also towed people in maybe eight times.

Like I stated, there has been some very interesting and valid points raised here. However, given the situation, I don't think Sydwayz can be faulted.

As far as the drunks in the boat, well that's another story....

PhantomChaos 05-23-2005 05:23 PM

I always tow on plane.......much quicker and easier on the rope!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :drink: :drink: :drink: :evilb:

Sydwayz 05-23-2005 06:23 PM

I was not exactly clear. They wanted to be towed 5 miles in a different direction across the lake than we were going rather than anywhere close to where we were heading. When I offered to come back and get them 10-15 minutes, they did not want that either. Then I tried hailing the CG/WP, and they just yelled to leave and go away.

Formula Outlaw 05-23-2005 07:24 PM

Brian, you did all you could do. :drink:

MILD THUNDER 05-23-2005 07:35 PM

I was under the impression this occurance happened on the ocean, not SML. If I broke down on an inland lake, I would turn the stern light on, grab some nudy books, and spend the night in my cabin. Then in the morning, use my safety paddle to paddle my a$$ back to shore. :drink:

offshoredrillin 05-23-2005 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I was not exactly clear. They wanted to be towed 5 miles in a different direction across the lake than we were going rather than anywhere close to where we were heading. When I offered to come back and get them 10-15 minutes, they did not want that either. Then I tried hailing the CG/WP, and they just yelled to leave and go away.

Next time shoot em with your flare gun, they will have plenty of light and be warm, and someone will see them:D

docmanrich37 05-23-2005 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Next time shoot em with your flare gun, they will have plenty of light and be warm, and someone will see them:D

lmao.

AMERICAN BAD A$$ 05-23-2005 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sydwayz sent all of these boats and a helicopter to help those drunks , who said he didn't help..... Oh yeah , and two fire boats...