Notices
View Poll Results: Speed Limits On Lakes
I think speed limits are great and prefer to boat on lakes that have them.
3.19%
I think speed limits are for "sallys" and wouldn't boat on a lake that hade one.
70.21%
Speed limiting on lakes would be better for local economy.
0%
Speed limiting on lakes would be very bad for local economy.
26.60%
I don't have an opinion either way.
9.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Speed limits on lakes?

Old 05-26-2005, 06:55 AM
Race Fast, Race Safe!!!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Speed limits on lakes?

Speed Limits should be more like they are on the highways. Meaning, in different areas where necessary (which is also where common sense should tell you to slow down) there should be different limits up to and including No Limit. There is a lake in Eastern NY that has no limit, unless you are near the bridge crossing it, that also has a ferry, and has several waterfront restaurants and bars. they limit you to 10mph through the "channel" between the shores, and of course no wake within 300 ft of the docks (this also applies throughout the lake). If your lake is big enough to support No Limit, then that is great, but if not, then limits are needed. Not everyone has common sense obviously, so limits are needed to protect all of us. Kinda like drunk driving laws (when enforced), who needs them. We all do, cause too many people are injured or killed when someone with no common sense does it. As for night time, I see no problem with limits for that.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:15 AM
Registered

I generally have more "close calls" with 15 MPH Pontoon boats not the fast boats
Old 05-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Registered

Loto has 99 mph during the day and 30 mph at night. I'm pretty sure that some of the faster boats are unaware of the day time speed limit.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:46 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have asked water patrol about the daytime speed limit and was told it would be a reckless issue and not a speed issue... and there is no written policy in any of the water patrol publications about daytime speed limits, just night time and no wake zones....
Old 05-26-2005, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could live with a speed limit of 150 in the manatee zones as long as they gave us a 5-mph over margin of error. But once out of the Manatee zones I really think everyone should slow down.

Roby
Old 05-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

My local lake has had a 35 limit but it was never inforced until the owner of HTM was killed on a high speed run now they have radar guns and use it to make money weather it is safe or not to go faster. i'll use the lake to flush the salt water off and thats about it.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by h20 toie
My local lake has had a 35 limit but it was never inforced until the owner of HTM was killed on a high speed run now they have radar guns and use it to make money weather it is safe or not to go faster. i'll use the lake to flush the salt water off and thats about it.
They started enforcing it cuase Lia, the owners widow and now owner of HTM tried to sue the county for allowing her husband to speed on the lake.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:21 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I like to boat to get away from everyone...
so offshore only it is, and they can't stop me out there!

I guess it depends on the lake size.
I agree on the common sense thing, but most bozos out there leave theirs' onshore.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:51 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

I have no problems with the speed limits or noise laws after dark. Although during the day, if your lake is big enough, and your pockets are deep enough then drive it like you stole it!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Registered

I have a boat that might run 68 so I'm not an expert although I did the southern drag boat thing for several years 162 in the quarter the last time I raced. But back to the speed limit question do everything you can to stop it. If your lake gets a speed limit of lets say 70 it will not stop there it will be 60 then someone will get hurt and someone will want to make it 40. It will not stop after they get there foot in the door. Just like the noise laws they won't stop at what they are now wait and see! Fight for your right to have some freedom.

Quick Reply: Speed limits on lakes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.