Like Tree0Likes

3 blade vs 4 blade

Old 05-26-2005, 12:04 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Default 3 blade vs 4 blade

What's been the experiences when switching from a 3 blade to a 4? I re-powered my boat and in my quest to find the right prop all the 3 blades I have tried chine walk in CALM water. A couple I tried worked great in 1-2' chop but in calm water it wants to dance when trimmed out. I'm thinking a 4 blade may settle it down? Some say you lose top-end and some say you don't?
Old 05-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 8' row boat
Default Re: 3 blade vs 4 blade

Do you plane well with the three blade? If so, then try a Hydromotive 4 blade. That is a very smooth running prop, but it can be a bear to on plane. Marginally better than a 3 blade.

Chinewalking can also be resulting from balance issues, worn drive/steering components, and driver error. Those 3 things also need to be addressed.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Registered

Cord, I forgot to mention I have checked the steering and drive for worn parts and play and it's all good. Driver error is impossible! Seriously, I have learned how to "stop" the walking but it comes back within a 3-4 seconds. Balance I am not sure about. Factory weight everywhere but it definitely calms down with more people in the boat. In fact, a 3rd person in the back seat makes it much better.

My boat planes great, half throttle it takes about about 3 seconds or so. What is the difference between the quad IV and other 4 blades, like the Bravo, Turbo 2+2, etc?
Old 05-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Registered

My Boats: Boatless Right Now

Hydromotive Quad IV is great prop, I put them on my Scarab and its extremely smooth. I think I did lose a little on the top end, but the boat was not completely tuned in after changing engines so who knows. I'll know in a day or so after I break in the new engines (again) and push them with everything working correctly.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 8' row boat

I found with my old V that I had to continuously stare at the bow watching it and waiting for the boat to fall off it's pad. Got to be second nature after a while. That's one of the neat things about the cats, you don't have to pay as close attention to what the boat is doing.

I'm not familiar with the turbo prop, but I believe that it has a small diameter so it wouldn't be able to carry a larger boat. The Hydromotive is simular to a Bravo but it's totally different. The blades are a cross between a cleaver and a bravo. They have a straight trailing edge. There is also more of a point to the prop. The older props didn't have a diffuser ring. This made for harder planing, but added a touch more speed. The prop also doesn't carry the cup around the nose like a Bravo one does. Basically, the Bravo will plane and carry the bow better than a Hydro, but the Hydro is better at smoothing out a chine walk condition.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:42 PM
Registered

My Boats: Renegade 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboat
Cord, I forgot to mention I have checked the steering and drive for worn parts and play and it's all good. Driver error is impossible! Seriously, I have learned how to "stop" the walking but it comes back within a 3-4 seconds. Balance I am not sure about. Factory weight everywhere but it definitely calms down with more people in the boat. In fact, a 3rd person in the back seat makes it much better.

My boat planes great, half throttle it takes about about 3 seconds or so. What is the difference between the quad IV and other 4 blades, like the Bravo, Turbo 2+2, etc?
Call Throttle Up Propellers, Matt & Julie will set you up without wasting your time & $$
http://www.throttle-up.com/
877 842 6855 Toll Free
Old 05-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Registered

My Boats: 02 HUSTLER SLINGSHOT

yep,
call throttle-up.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: 3 blade vs 4 blade

I am sold on Hydromotive props. Great props at a great price.

http://throttle-up.com/p4.htm
Attached Thumbnails
3 blade vs 4 blade-quad4xot.jpg   3 blade vs 4 blade-p5%2520x%2520web.jpg   3 blade vs 4 blade-hydro%2520h6%2520web.jpg  

Old 05-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Registered

Actually talked with Julie about these props and she thought my X was too low.

I think I'm going to try a Turbo 2+2 and see what happens. One thing I've learned so far, you don't know til you try!

I was looking for some feedback from people that went from a 3 blade to a 4 to see how much it calmed the boat down and what happened to speeds.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by onesickpantera; 05-27-2005 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Registered

My Boats: 86 Checkmate Convincor 251

I ran a 3 blade mirage, I installed full Hydraulic steering and a Hydromotive 4 blade prop, and away went the chine walking ! The 4 blade is a better cruising prop then the 3 blade, but the 3 blade has more top end ( 3-5 mph ), at least on my boat. Good Luck.
Dave B