Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Holiday Weekend Boating: Accidents and Incidents Thread (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/104299-holiday-weekend-boating-accidents-incidents-thread.html)

PhantomChaos 05-28-2005 12:08 PM

Holiday Weekend Boating: Accidents and Incidents Thread

Already starting.....

LAPD Police Officer Arrested for Investigation of BUI, Fleeing Scene

Friday, May 27, 2005

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A Los Angeles police officer was arrested in Monterey County for allegedly driving his boat into another watercraft, then fleeing the scene without helping two injured boaters.
Sheriff's deputies said Officer David Ernest Guzman, 30, was arrested May 21 near Lake San Antonio for investigation of boating under the influence, failing to stop at the scene of an accident, and failing to render aid.

His companion William Jeffers was arrested for driving under the influence when deputies found him a short time later driving a trailer to pick up Guzman at a boat ramp.

One of the victims, an 18-year-old from Agoura Hills, suffered serious injuries that included a crushed lower vertebra, broken pelvis, and damage to his liver and spleen. His friend, a 19-year-old from Santa Barbara, was treated and released for cuts and scrapes.

Sgt. Catherine Plows of the Los Angeles Police Department said Guzman, a nine-year veteran with the force, was assigned to home pending the conclusion of the investigation.

GoCiggie31 05-28-2005 12:31 PM

Re: Holiday Weekend Boating: Accidents and Incidents Thread

sure hope the kid is o.k. & gets well soon...

what a shame...if the officer is guilty...hang'em.

We all must remember to be responsible- especially ones in law enforcement

wwwTOPDJcom 05-28-2005 04:18 PM

assigned to home pending the conclusion ............ I would guess he gets Paid the whole time :mad:

PhantomChaos 05-28-2005 07:46 PM

Nothing else yet? That's good!! :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

Formula Outlaw 05-28-2005 07:48 PM

Going up to Lowes this afternoon, another boat off the trailer incident. About half a mile south of the St. Rd. 70 exit from I-75 (south Bradenton) I just got a look at a 30 ish CC (I think) off the trailer and on it's side, saw it had twin OB's and had obviously rolled over. Was about 150 ft. from it's trailer. Don't know anything else.

packinair 05-28-2005 08:40 PM

2 days... 2 broken drives.. I am done

JCPERF 05-28-2005 11:58 PM

Test road 3 customers boats.No problems.Just a lot of drinks :drink: :drink: :drink:

Indy 05-29-2005 07:11 AM

One jet skier was killed yesterday in Long Island when he ran too close to an anchored sailboat and the line nearly took off his head. Middle 30's, no alcohol involved...very unfortunate :(

Macklin 05-29-2005 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Indy
One jet skier was killed yesterday in Long Island when he ran too close to an anchored sailboat and the line nearly took off his head. Middle 30's, no alcohol involved...very unfortunate :(

:eek: Unfortunate, but not surprising. Is it me, or do most jet skiers seem to drive with blinders on? I took Friday off for a nice day of boating. We were just getting up to speed across Broad Bay which is perfect for WOT runs. I got ready to nail the sticks when I noticed a jet ski in front of me. So I decided to stay back. Sure enough the guy took a turn in front of me without even looking back. Had I not held off he would have been bow schmoogle. :mad:

My wife may it very clear to him that he was #1 in our book. :D

glassdave 05-29-2005 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by packinair
2 days... 2 broken drives.. I am done

hell . .your just get'n started . . . :chimp: :p :eek:

Formula Outlaw 05-29-2005 07:35 AM

Another jet ski accident in Tampa Bay yesterday afternoon. Two guys riding together, one in front of the other, does a 180 in front of his buddy and his buddy slams into him. Don't know the condition of the guy who got hurt.

Rippem 05-29-2005 07:39 AM

there's two things I stressed constantly on my x-GF about the Sea-Doo...

there's lots of water, you don't need to be close to any other craft at speed...
and make looking around you and behind you a constant, automatic part of riding.

She did very well. ;)

open87 05-29-2005 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Test road 3 customers bones .No problems.Just a lot of drinks :drink: :drink: :drink:

:eek: :eek:

cuda 05-29-2005 08:05 AM

On the St John's River, and airboat with three sheriffs runs into another airboat on a hairpin turn when both boats were trying to avoid hitting a family fishing in a ghenoe.

MnFastBoat 05-29-2005 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Test road 3 customers boats.No problems.Just a lot of drinks :drink: :drink: :drink:

I hope to hell I never have to worry about you working on my boat
Really something good to brag about! NOT
Humm, lets have a few drinks while test driving a boat I do not own! WTF!

Gee, wonder why boaters get such a bad rap. Not to mention boating service typically SUCKS. This is just a fine example WHY!
Sorry, but if you read into this what it is great, but when I pay for something, the last thing I should be concerned about is some drunk testing it.

Formula Outlaw 05-29-2005 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat

Gee, wonder why boaters get such a bad rap. Not to mention boating service typically SUCKS. This is just a fine example WHY!
Sorry, but if you read into this what it is great, but when I pay for something, the last thing I should be concerned about is some drunk testing it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that I think JCPerf was joking. I've never read a post of his that would indicate otherwise.....:rolleyes:

Macklin 05-29-2005 08:42 AM

I have to agree with FO. He stated that he road not drove the boats. At least I hope so. :drink:

docmanrich37 05-29-2005 08:44 AM

A small sea ray with dad and 2 two young girls boat was on fire in the middle of the lake.No one was hurt.Got their girls off boat until fire boats got there.If thats the worst thing that happens this weekend we'll be lucky.

f311fr1 05-29-2005 12:44 PM

Young girl swimming between two boats got her head crushed when the boats slammed together from wave action. Life flighted from our dock late SAT afternoon. Conley Bottom Resort, Lake Cumberland, KY. Same day a teenage boy on a tube got a pierced in the neck by a driftwood stick. Ambulance from the dock to hospital. Joe Murray

Steve_H 05-29-2005 09:21 PM

14 people in a 31 cig...........at night........with babys on board.......while intoxicated :rolleyes: :(

collision

masher44 05-29-2005 10:08 PM

Loosen up your panties and relax ... I am sure there is only diet coke with lemon on your boat :rolleyes:

masher44 05-29-2005 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_H
14 people in a 31 cig...........at night........with babys on board.......while intoxicated :rolleyes: :(

collision

Damn Steve... that must have been a sight..... :mad:

masher44 05-29-2005 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by f311fr1
Young girl swimming between two boats got her head crushed when the boats slammed together from wave action. Life flighted from our dock late SAT afternoon. Conley Bottom Resort, Lake Cumberland, KY. Same day a teenage boy on a tube got a pierced in the neck by a driftwood stick. Ambulance from the dock to hospital. Joe Murray

Is there much debris in the water this year?? I know you guys have been getting mucho rain....

NJgr8ful 05-29-2005 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_H

WTF? 14 people on a 31' bullet? You gotta be kidding .. I feel cramped with me and 4 passengers on my 35' Cig :eek: Well, a couple of them were babies ... and they were drinking ... so I guess it was OK :rolleyes: :mad: :( Unreal ... the baby is listed as a serious injury in that report, poor kid :(

MnFastBoat 05-29-2005 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by masher44
Loosen up your panties and relax ... I am sure there is only diet coke with lemon on your boat :rolleyes:

Actually NO

Mountain Dew and water! :evilb:

Relax, why
we pay dearly for these things and so many people don't take pride in what they are working on

MnFastBoat 05-29-2005 11:03 PM

BOAT #1 WAS HEADED DOWNSTREAM. BOAT #2 WAS HEADED UPSTREAM. THE TWO BOATS COLLIDED NEARLY HEAD-ON. THE OPERATOR OF BOAT # 1, JOHN UNNERSTALL WAS CITED FOR BOATING WHILE INTOXICATED. ACCIDENT IS STILL UNDER INVESTIGATION.

RASH, QUENTIN 1/3/2003 ST. CHARLES, MO
Injury Type : Taken to :
Serious LAKE REGIONAL

2 1/2 year old baby on a boat with an intoxicated driver.
WTF!
Gee, lets see. The baby cannot just get up and leave if he feels uncomfortable with his driver and occupants.
People really need to WAKE THE F__K UP and realize that small things in life are alot more important then having a friggen drink.
You want to drink, FINE let someone else take you home and do not put others at risk.
I hope the guy on this 31' boat with 14 people aboard gets his ass taken away and thrown in jail for many years.
But morethen likely he will buy a great lawyer and walk

Anyone need a rose? Smell what live really has to offer

Btw, this accident happened at 9:15pm
why would you not be concentrating on navigation?
Most likely he was bullsh!t talking with his over capacitated crew :mad:

masher44 05-30-2005 12:31 AM

Actually NO

Mountain Dew and water! :evilb:

Relax, why
we pay dearly for these things and so many people don't take pride in what they are working on

Do some research... JC is one of the best in the industry ;)

Steve_H 05-30-2005 06:26 AM

Damn Steve... that must have been a sight..... :mad:

all i know is what i read on the website.

Formula Outlaw 05-30-2005 08:37 AM

Relax, why

Guess you didn't get the "suggestion" the first time around.

"Relax, why"........cause first he was joking and second there are many many members here who will tell you just how good he is. One has already responded to such.

How about backing it down a notch and stop trying to start crap. You made your point and it was addressed. Let it go.

Outdrive1 05-30-2005 12:58 PM

It does say "road". How many engine builders even take the time to hit the water with your boat? I'd say those customers were lucky to have him on board.

FOUNTAINATLAST 05-30-2005 10:42 PM

Sounds to me that someones panties are in a bunch!!! Must of just got some good service himself!!! Lighten up I'm sure they were test rides not test drives as stated...

MnFastBoat 05-31-2005 08:33 AM

Do some research... JC is one of the best in the industry ;)

And I am not doubting that one bit.

What I do doubt is the fact of testing ones boat while consuming alcohol
either as a passenger or the driver.

MnFastBoat 05-31-2005 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by FOUNTAINATLAST
I'm sure they were test rides not test drives as stated...

Guess one can only hope so

MnFastBoat 05-31-2005 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
and stop trying to start crap.
Let it go.

Not trying to 'start' anything
Just stating mym opinion

Its GONE
:cool:

R Addiction 05-31-2005 08:52 AM

:eek: :eek: Now that was some good readin'!!!! :D

R Addiction 05-31-2005 08:53 AM

:argue: :argue: :argue: :p

Formula Outlaw 05-31-2005 08:54 AM

Just stating mym opinion

Its GONE

In quoting me you neglected to include, "how about backing it down a notch" and "you made a point and it was addressed", at least you could have included the whole quote and not just the words you wanted. When read in it's entirety it has somewhat of a different context than what you chose to post.

Reading other responses to your original post, apparently others read it the same way I did. I just saw you going down a path that did not need to be traveled, that's all.

masher44 05-31-2005 12:12 PM

Just stating mym opinion

Its GONE

No you're assuming they were loaded and intoxicated.... Do you really think they were going across the water at 90 with open beers? on a 2 to 400K boat?... or could they have ran the boat and had beer afterward? You are trying to start something.... get a clue retard.

Selective quoting :rolleyes: .....

masher44 05-31-2005 12:15 PM

And I am not doubting that one bit.

What I do doubt is the fact of testing ones boat while consuming alcohol
either as a passenger or the driver.

No one on this board consumes alcohol if they are a passenger on any boat :rolleyes: .... You're right... JC should be crucified for enjoying a boat ride in the hot summer sun and having a beer if he got thirsty.... :rolleyes:

Dave M 05-31-2005 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Indy

That one made the news all the way down here.