Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Noise violation? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/104447-noise-violation.html)

Stormrider 05-31-2005 01:34 PM

Noise violation?

The marina my boat is docked at is infront of a Condo complex. They are not affiliated/associated w/ each other.

The stern of the boat faces the condos, about 100-150 yards away. Yesterday @ 6:30am I was revving the engine 2000+rpm (something in the carb) and woke up the entire condo complex. :eek: :eek:
All kind of complaints!
They cited the village code, that there is no noise before 7:30am and after 8pm, and all day sunday.

Does this apply to the marina too?
I understand I was wrong in doing this so early in the morning, but these village sound codes you'd think pertain to lawn mowers and construction of the sort.

So, could they really have something on me?
Or is this some gray area of the law, or maritime law?

In the meantime, I've done some smooth talking and eased the situation... so no big fines or "jail time".

fund razor 05-31-2005 01:42 PM

Re: Noise violation?

Sounds like a PR problem that you are handling with a PR solution.

If your question is whether you are safe because the law stopped at the end of the dock, I doubt it.

I ride on jets all the time that have to go out over the ocean or great lake to power up. (Think Orange County... is that John Wayne airport?) I don't think that the noise regulation stops at the beach.

We have a sound law (never enforced) in our town about those dam Ricers and their boom boom systems. A cop can give you a citation if he can hear the noise from farther than 50 feet away.

I bet that if I am on the other side of the county line, with my stereo cranked up, and the cop hears it on his side of the line I have still broken the law.

Your sound may have started in the Marina, but it was when your sound HIT THE WALLS OF THE CONDO that you started waking people up.

My guess is that they have you... and that you are doing the right thing by making nice.

Good luck.

DollaBill 05-31-2005 01:42 PM

Laugh at them and move on. You could get a "disturbing the peace" thing from the police, but I wouldn't worry about that.

fund razor 05-31-2005 01:44 PM

See. Bill has lousy PR skills.

:drink:

Kidding Bill.

Stormrider 05-31-2005 01:55 PM

Would it be civil or criminal and be on my record?

I doubt I'll be going out at 6.30 again, but i should be able to use my boat when i want to. You can be I wont be revving it that early. :D

BRUCE SEROFF 05-31-2005 01:58 PM

All townships have noise violation codes and vary depending on the juristiction. But, any loud noise (doesnt matter what kind) during early morning or late nite hours is considered disturbing the peace. Im sure the cops would give you a warning first.

Honestly though, If I was sleeping early on a weekend morning with the windows open, and someone decided to run a loud boat engine, I would complain too.

Last week, I was at a friends BBQing on a sunday nite. (bout 6:30pm) And some numb nutz in the yard next door was using a commercial grade leaf blower. Sounded like he had open headers on this thing! Anyway, we asked him nicely to shut it down. he refused. So the cops came and gave him a summons. plain and simple.

BRUCE SEROFF 05-31-2005 02:00 PM

It would be a mistemeanor (sp) charge. non criminal

sellsman11 05-31-2005 02:04 PM

What does the water look like at 6:30 AM??!!

fund razor 05-31-2005 02:05 PM

Stormrider....

Your signature says it all.
With great power comes great responsibility.

I think that even though you enjoy many freedoms, that you have a responsiblity to balance your needs and desires with the needs and desires of others.

I would have been p*ssed off if you did that to me.
But if you had been cool about it (like it seems that you are) I would have gotten over it right away and had no grudge.

Personally... I stayed away from thru hulls because I wanted to be able to sneak up on a dock. :D

fund razor 05-31-2005 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by sellsman11

Like glass. You should see it.

Stormrider 05-31-2005 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by sellsman11

Its about as smooth as your computer screen.
But w/ 3 kids, 6-8am is my alone time.
I usually dont go out, just uncover, wash/wax, put in water for later use. I don't think it'll come up again.

On another note, if you use your boat and come back late at night, what is the longest you could wait to safely flush your engines?

burtandnancy 05-31-2005 03:09 PM

Stormrider, you are an idiot. I'd be surprised if someone doesn't pull your drain plugs some night. You are an inconsiderate --- and an embarrasment to boating. The noise laws have nothing to do with this matter. I hope I never run into people like you in a boat, in a marina or anywhere for that matter. Where is your common sense and why do you even own a boat?

Sean H 05-31-2005 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by burtandnancy
Stormrider, you are an idiot. I'd be surprised if someone doesn't pull your drain plugs some night. You are an inconsiderate --- and an embarrasment to boating. The noise laws have nothing to do with this matter. I hope I never run into people like you in a boat, in a marina or anywhere for that matter. Where is your common sense and why do you even own a boat?

I think you made a friend stormrider......

offshoredrillin 05-31-2005 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by fund razor
Stormrider....

Your signature says it all.
With great power comes great responsibility.

Suck up!!!! :evilb:

this is how the water looks that early in the morning:D

Stormrider 05-31-2005 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
I think you made a friend stormrider......

I made a friend in Cucamunga! :evilb:

And you may not understand...
I was just trying to start my boat, but it wouldn't idle.
So i brought up the rpms so it would run, then brought it back down to idle... but it would then stall. I wasn't revving just to make noise.
Something is stuck in the carb and i was checking the problem.
I admit error in judgement and cleared the problem w/ the locals.
Just checking the legality.
The code states no noise on Sunday??? What, I can't use my boat on Sunday? Come on...

Stormrider 05-31-2005 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin

Rob, the tiger looks sweet!
My boat likes the cold morning air. :cool:

Sean H 05-31-2005 03:44 PM

i like how you airbrushed out the grass in your front yard and added water..... :D

offshoredrillin 05-31-2005 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
i like how you airbrushed out the grass in your front yard and added water..... :D

:evilb:, I had masher do it, now lets see if he can photoshop some paint on your boat!!! Is the oso bunch gonna have to go visit glassdave?

Stormrider 05-31-2005 03:52 PM

Oh yea... btw, none of my neighbor boaters had a problem w/ me.
Actually one that was sleeping on his boat, came out to help me.
And he didn't tell me to stop running it.
The dockmaster didn't come over to tell me to stop it.
And no one at the condos screamed over to tell me to stop it.

If one person told me to stop, I would have.
All this went down w/ in 10 minutes.

Sean H 05-31-2005 03:54 PM

:evilb:, I had masher do it, now lets see if he can photoshop some paint on your boat!!! Is the oso bunch gonna have to go visit glassdave?

can you get colored film from 3M? i might just have to use that as paint.... :drink: :D

but think of all the gas money i am saving!! :D

Stormrider 05-31-2005 03:54 PM

I like the variation of responses... as usual.
from "you're an idiot" to "f' them" !

And now that I have a JC motor, I make friend everywhere I go. :p

JPD Motorsports 05-31-2005 04:16 PM

its part of life F'em they dont want the noise then move, the water was there before the condos were. If they (condo owners) dont have the balls to come over and say something to you first then they are a bunch of chickens!!!

FASTTIMES 05-31-2005 04:46 PM

don't sweat it! We've all pissed people off at some point in our life and it sounds like you smoothed things over and probably won't be running the boat at 6 in the a.m. any time soon.. Hell- - I wouldn't mind waking up to the sound of a big block in the morning, It would only motivate me more to get my azz outa bed and get mine ready to go!

offshoredrillin 05-31-2005 05:24 PM

relax and remove the panties from your ass. He admitted he didnt do the right thing and apologized, but the fact remains, if you live next to a train track, airport, highway or marina expect some noise.

Vinny P 05-31-2005 06:50 PM

Stormrider,

I keep my boat at Grovers in Freeport. I am an early person. They open the doors at 8 am, so that is when I get there. Up until this season, there was some guy who had a 40' Cruiser that he docked right next to where the boats get dropped in the water at Grovers. He slept on the boat every weekend, at least until I got there at 8 a.m. This season he finally backed up his barbeque and moved somewhere else. He used to make complaints all the time. Nothing ever came of it. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
What was this guy thinking?? Docking 10 feet away from where high performance boats are dumped off a fork lift ALL DAY LONG!!!!

SUPERSTITIOUS 05-31-2005 07:28 PM

A little harsh wouldnt you say???

Stormrider 05-31-2005 07:58 PM

CM454, I'll be keeping my boat in Lawrence for a week here and there this summer. We should hook up, maybe with johnnyd454.

US1 Fountain 05-31-2005 10:15 PM

I would be more concerned about not being able to boat on Sun. That just down right sucks.

Stormrider 06-01-2005 07:44 AM

If there are more complaints based on normal usage, then the marina should move me away from the condos.

el indio 06-01-2005 08:01 AM

rob you have my vote for public enemy #1................mark........

Stormrider 06-01-2005 08:17 AM

Mark, maybe i should borrow your boat to show them what LOUD is!!! :D

el indio 06-01-2005 08:23 AM

rap on rob.................m.m......

jb 06-01-2005 02:07 PM

wow, interesting subject.. I have done it in public places when we moored for the evening and had no choice but to get an early start. I have also had it done to me and just said WTF, thanks for teh wake-up and hoped I got enough sleep, and wasnt to hungover... But you need to go by the rules set at your location...
I also agree with someone who said if you live next to a Marina... you need to expect some noise... But noise abatement laws/rules are their to keep everyone playing happy, and cohabitating together...cant please everyone...
Good for youo admiting guilt and smoothing it over... had to be an interesting morn. I hope you went out on the water soon after... If you didnt, why not??? that would really piss off the locals!

Stormrider 06-01-2005 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by jb
... had to be an interesting morn. I hope you went out on the water soon after... If you didnt, why not??? that would really piss off the locals!

Why yes... it was very interesting.
And that was one of the reasons they were so PO'd, that the boat never went out. I couldn't get it to idle, and if dropped into gear at a higher RPM would still stall. So I had to put it back up on the lift.
They musta been saying: "Damn all that noise and he didn't even use it!"

From what I now understand, is that there is ONE guy who has been complaining about anything and everything for the past 15yrs. My neighboring Sea Ray'ers said they have gotten complaints, even about a dock party w/ music.
This guy is about 70yrs old and has nothing better to do than go to town hall and sit for a few days to get what he wants done. The good news is... this is the guy I spoke to, and apologized to. I even gave him my cell number for him to call me, to alert me of any inconvenience I may make. Damn, I woulda offered a ride if I knew he could handle it. Then maybe when he heard me start up, he'd come running down to join me. :D

In all honesty, this is my 1st HP boat. I grew up on fishing boats. And when the boats left the dock at 5am, 6-8 50-60ft sportfishers w/ their 8,12 or 16V92 Diesels starting up is not a silent event either. So now I know how loud my boat is. I guess its a good thing I went w/ stainless marine manifolds and not CMI headers. :D

OldSchool 06-01-2005 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider

And now that I have a JC motor, I make friend everywhere I go. :p

It was probably a piece of duct tape that got sucked down the carb!! :D :evilb: :D :evilb:

Stormrider 06-01-2005 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by craig223
It was probably a piece of duct tape that got sucked down the carb!! :D :evilb: :D :evilb:

Craig, could be... he's coming down to get it back to see if he can use it again. :D

Actually, problem started right after I ran down to 2-3 gallons in the tank and refueled. Also, I redid the entire fuel line/filter, so something could have come from the install. ie dirt in a hose, or lose teflon tape, or just junk from the bottom of the tank.

Vinny P 06-01-2005 03:56 PM

Stormrider,

I have talked to JohnnyD and CBR already. We will definetly hook up this season. It turns out, CBR keeps his boat at Grovers also. I am always out early on the weekends. I hate what it turns into in the afternoon. Call me on my cell ..

347-739-0242

Vinny

Titan 06-01-2005 08:32 PM

Storm

If they don't like the noise hand them a pair of earplugs next time.. Manifolds are for the Sea Ray's.. Get a set of CMI race headers so the old man will loose his hearing when you start up at 6am. I don't know how much better I am though!!!!

Stormrider 06-01-2005 09:05 PM

Good idea Titan, i should send them a care package.
"Dear condo owners, i am very sorry for the disturbance i made the other morning. Please accept these earplugs as a token of my sincere apologies." :p

Titan 06-01-2005 09:07 PM

:D