Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   revolution restoration (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/104961-revolution-restoration.html)

375stinger 06-07-2005 08:34 AM

revolution restoration

finally the boat is nearing completion. after 3 months in the paint shop to gel coat, the boat will be out and in for interior by the end of this week. we were planning on being on teh water by mid april but this has become a much larger project than expected. after rigging the boat with 3 rebuilt 555's with every new part imaginable, and then an unexpected delay because of needing new transom assemblies for the drives. the gel coat whcih the painter said woudl take 3 weeks has taken 3 months so far and is just now almost done. we are hopefully going to try to get the boat in the water by the 4th of july. i got some pics this weekend and are waiting for them to develop. i will post the pics from the paint shop this evening.

375stinger 06-07-2005 08:45 AM

Re: revolution restoration

3 Attachment(s)
here are some pics from before

375stinger 06-07-2005 08:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
and some more...

375stinger 06-07-2005 08:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
hopefully she looks better after were done with it....the last pic is after getting the engines in. were hoping to get somewhere near 90 mph :rolleyes: , but it seems it may take a little more horsepower to get there. the pics after gel i'll have later.

ITLLFLI 06-07-2005 09:08 AM

Looks like a fun project! Hopefully we will see it on the 4th!!

FOUNTAINATLAST 06-07-2005 09:23 AM

Looks like you have alot of work into her, should be well worth it!!! Can't wait to see the paint.

magnum27 06-07-2005 09:34 AM

I remember that boat when it was new, I saw it in Powerboat I believe. Wasn't it named "Hard Candy" or something like that

Semper Fi 06-07-2005 10:45 AM

That's a big project. Good luck with her. :D

tomtbone1993 06-07-2005 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i have alot of sweat and blood in my buddies revolution, good luck Tom

375stinger 06-07-2005 01:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
all the gelcoat is sanded down, and are ready to buff the top deck, canopies, and hatch. we jsut got the all panels powdercoated and engraved, as well as the steering hub, throttles, bolster frames, handles, by eddie marine for only about $500 to match the color of the boat. we added some nose cones to the drives and decided to go on and paint the lowers with 3 coats and polyurethane silver. its slowly coming together, hopefully the interior will go much faster. by the way, has anyone on here painted the cig logo using cigarettes template on a color other than white. i tihnk im going to jsut have to modify the template to get it to work, or id have to have the background of the cig oval in red. here are the pics from a few days ago...

375stinger 06-07-2005 01:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
sorry, im not very good at posting pictures...

375stinger 06-07-2005 01:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
last ones.....

tomtbone1993 06-07-2005 01:40 PM

what was the history on the boat before you purchased it?

375stinger 06-07-2005 01:54 PM

im not totally sure. i am aware that the boat had sunk and been sitting for a few years before i bought it from a guy in st louis. it caem with triple 525 hawks from teh factory. i bought the boat obviosuly withotu a test drive. it came with all the rigging but it wasnt in teh boat. the engines were all redone nad i had them dynoed at 640horses and 670 torque each.
i basically replaced everything in the boat, and wut i didnt replace i had redone or powdercoated. i think it had been in illinois before. it used to be kept at Loto.

tomtbone1993 06-07-2005 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 375stinger
im not totally sure. i am aware that the boat had sunk and been sitting for a few years before i bought it from a guy in st louis. it caem with triple 525 hawks from teh factory. i bought the boat obviosuly withotu a test drive. it came with all the rigging but it wasnt in teh boat. the engines were all redone nad i had them dynoed at 640horses and 670 torque each.
i basically replaced everything in the boat, and wut i didnt replace i had redone or powdercoated. i think it had been in illinois before. it used to be kept at Loto.

that is a cool project :cool:

375stinger 06-07-2005 05:18 PM

i going down thursday adn they should be pretty mcuh all done adn ready to go to the interior shop. in theory the boat should be on teh water by the 19th but we'll have to see. were thinking the boat should be running near 90, but the revolution seemed to be a bad hull design from wut ive heard from other OSO'ers. mayb someone wiht a revolution here could help get a good estimate of how fast she should be running.

birdog 06-07-2005 05:26 PM

Keep up with the pics !..Cool project...Hope to see her finished for the Cumberland Poker Run. Not many Revos in the states.

375stinger 06-08-2005 07:41 AM

does anyone here no where i can get those clear map covers that close down on the left panel?

375stinger 06-08-2005 01:38 PM

anyone?

tomtbone1993 06-08-2005 01:43 PM

does anyone here no where i can get those clear map covers that close down on the left panel?

Cigarette, does not offer them?

Roger 1 06-09-2005 09:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Nice work! keep the pictures coming as inspiration to those of is that are doing similar projects..

birdog 06-09-2005 05:53 PM

Try..Lip-Ship or Martin...Bet they can get them...

mcraymond3 06-09-2005 07:39 PM

That is going to be a great boat when you are finished. Keep up the good work.

375stinger 09-25-2005 09:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
we finally splashed the boat a day before lake cumberland poker run.. ran pretty good but was blowing off hoses the entire weekend :mad: well now we had to pull the center engine........ :mad: !!!! for i think head work and maybe something else...only got 8 hours on em since basically brand new..its probably because the hoses were comin off because of a high water pressure(about 40-45psi) andwe double clamped them to stay on but was to much pressure for engines.?.? is only logical explanation. well since we wont be boating for a few weeks i decided it was time due to post some pics of teh finished product :D

375stinger 09-25-2005 09:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
some more.... these are a pain in the azz to scan and resize...

375stinger 09-25-2005 09:18 AM

trick:thanks, it took awhile and a lot of patience, but it seems everything with boats always does..but im pretty sure it was worth the wait :cool:

MarkSmith 09-25-2005 09:26 AM

Man does that look good.

I feel your blood, sweat and tears(your empty wallet). I would recommend getting the motors dynoed before running them again. The dyno finds all problems where they are easy to fix. Good luck!

Mark Smith

375stinger 09-25-2005 09:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
more pics........

375stinger 09-25-2005 09:38 AM

already had them dynoed(643hp 671torque) guy said the internals and everything looked like a good rebuild, and looked like they replaced and put in the parts they said they would. luckily the boat didnt hurt the wallet too bad...well not as bad as you woulda thought. it just cost a lot in the time it took to get the boat finished,....well we prob wont have any more pictures for a few weeks .. hope to get some out on the water once the engine gets back in and they shave off part of the water intakes on the transoms sorry that the last pics arent that clear.. they were taken after pulling it from somerset to unlimited marine(jamestown) at midnight to get it running before the poker run weekend :evilb:

375stinger 03-05-2006 10:54 AM

hmn..sorry to bring back old thread, but too lazy to post all them pictures again :D turns out what happened was that they added filters that restricted fuel too much causing pistons in all engines to burn up :mad: ..o weels we took engines apart, got new flat tops instead of the domed this time, and ordered three new prochargers (m-3 8lb boost) to be stuck on withint next few week, but we will need to do some "custom" plumbing of the system because of the limited space in the bilge with trips. we ordered three new billet marine beefed up xrs with 2in shorty satin lowers(to reduce porpoising), and new stronger gimble rings and bellhousing for the transom assemblies. we are expecting around 960hp each.. after taking boat out the first time we realized it is not the most efficient hull :D , so were hoping to be right at the century mark :evilb: ....well thats the update until we get picks of the engines finished...btw does anyone know of any revo that ran near 100 and how they handles etc? thanks....so mayb were only a year behind schedule :drink:

JROMY 03-05-2006 12:44 PM

This is the first I saw this thread. The red hull looks great. Nice job on the restoration.

RollWithIt 03-05-2006 12:46 PM

Hey. Better late than never. Hope you get all the bugs worked out. Thats a unique boat.

Nykamp 03-05-2006 01:33 PM

That boat looks sweet, who did your int. work, it also looks really nice. Steve

375stinger 03-05-2006 02:24 PM

thanks, i think the name is howards upholstery in somerset...redid cockpit and cabin with new wood also. cig originally covered the entire cabin walls with carpit with thick glue all over the place that took forever to get off of the fiberglass.

375stinger 03-05-2006 02:29 PM

we got the drive lowers in, and should get the uppers withing a few days. the prochargers we got in a few days ago, now we are waiting on intakes and carbs. we met brownie at the miami show and since we needed larger exhaust we ordered the stainless marine gen 3, 5inch exhaust systems that should get in soon. we still arent too sure how we are going to route the center engins exhaust....especially once we try to fit three prochargers in there wit big azz intercoolers :rolleyes:

375stinger 03-06-2006 04:08 PM

we got the stainless marine gen 3s in today, and are gonna be shipping the props out to have hubs changed, and probably eventually labbed ( we switched the gear ratio from 1.5 to 1.35 with the new drives to the original props shouldnt be too far off). also, if anyone knows about the cig revo race boat named mr.cig id be very interested, i believe it is now rigged with triple bravos and 500s, but originally was it was rigged with number 6s and big power and ran near 110.....thanks

tekfal23 03-30-2006 09:08 PM

Stinger, can you tell me what kind of paint/color you used on your lowers? I see you painted them silver and I'm planning on doing the same, but I don't know what color to go with.

Love the revo's. Don't see too many of them around

CIG3 03-31-2006 06:56 AM

Contact Craig Barrie at Dragon or Bud Larow at Cigarette. They build and raced Mr. Cigarette.

Craig has told me stories of how insane that boat was. They rolled it in Japan, that's when I think it was shipped back to the states and converted to a pleasure set-up.

Nauti Kitty 03-31-2006 08:07 AM

i going down thursday adn they should be pretty mcuh all done adn ready to go to the interior shop. in theory the boat should be on teh water by the 19th but we'll have to see. were thinking the boat should be running near 90, but the revolution seemed to be a bad hull design from wut ive heard from other OSO'ers. mayb someone wiht a revolution here could help get a good estimate of how fast she should be running.

Triple 800 sc mercs and wet sump sixes ran 92mph. 1996 boat in Michigan

Biggus 03-31-2006 08:36 AM

A friend of mine has a 1992 Rev with triple 588" NA 750 Hawks, Speedmaster III's runs mid 80's