Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Part of the problem today with boaters...... >

Part of the problem today with boaters......

Notices

Part of the problem today with boaters......

Old 06-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Part of the problem today with boaters......

If I were to start a business like that, I'd make sure to get a signed contract stating I am in no way, shape, or form responsible for what happens after the boat I am delivering to it's new owner leaves my hands. I could see a couple hours of training in launching, tieing off to a dock, another boat, basic seamanship skills, re-fueling, and retrieving the boat back onto the trailer. That's about all I'd be interested in teaching. I've been doing all these things mis-hap free for many, many years. I've taken the power squadren courses and have a LOT of hours behind the wheel of many types of watercraft. I just have to wonder if the dealers would be willing to offer this kind of service as a "delivery package" deal on a new or used boat?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Foul'
I don't think the dealers would be willing to offer this unless they were required to.............................
Old 06-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay everyone...I think I might not have been that clear.....I wasn't saying that a dealer should be responsible for an inexperienced boater.
What I am saying is that whover sells a boat, new or used, the seller or dealer should take the time out to go over the features of the boat. Inform the customer about any safety items or hazardous items, make sure they have knowledge of how to launch or retrieve a boat., make sure they even know what safety gear (lifejackets, flares, horn) is mandatory.

Buyafountain....KUDOS to you for the time you take to inform a boater of their boat and boating safety.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay everyone...I think I might not have been that clear.....I wasn't saying that a dealer should be responsible for an inexperienced boater.
What I am saying is that whover sells a boat, new or used, the seller or dealer should take the time out to go over the features of the boat. Inform the customer about any safety items or hazardous items, make sure they have knowledge of how to launch or retrieve a boat., make sure they even know what safety gear (lifejackets, flares, horn) is mandatory.

Buyafountain....KUDOS to you for the time you take to inform a boater of their boat and boating safety.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Originally Posted by FunHome
Foul'
I don't think the dealers would be willing to offer this unless they were required to.............................
You are probably right, but if it comes down to that (and there has been talk of this very thing here in Michigan) it seems like it could be a viable service to offer.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Registered

Yesterday I saw some idiot in a 18 foot run about with a 125 ouboard doing donuts like he was on a jet ski,, my buddy and I sat there in amazement waiting for this numb nuts to flip and roll... To make matters worse he was zipping in and out of the ramp at full speed and passed within about 30 feet of us while we were stopped on our ski's...
Old 06-15-2005, 03:33 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by fund razor
I pictured myself at the helm on a flybridge, waiting to lock through somewhere and smiling at the pretty lock girls.
I think we have our answer.
You do realize that in most other warm countries the girls don't shave (or hardly wash) I can see the 23 yr old
"hottie" at the panama canal locks with no teeth and 4 kids to feed. (Not to bust your bubble or anything )
Old 06-15-2005, 04:11 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FunHome
Back when I was in College and working at a marina, I kinda helped with this end of the sale. Some salesmen, once the the sale is done they are on to the next person to prey on. Yet, Some wouldn't let anyone else talk to their customers in fear of losing the next sale.......Still I would help show the new owners around their new boat, but I never really got the chance to take them out on the water and spend 1/2 a day showing them how to dock, load, launch, drive the boat unless I was delivering the boat to theor dock and they were giving me a ride back to the marina.

Is there a need for this..........Yes

Will a marina owner pay you to come onto their property and show their latest customers how to drive a boat.......doubtful

Will a new boat owner seek this kind of person out to get instruction from.........Not really, Just like when we started boating.........we thought we knew EVERYTHING!!!

If the new boat owners insurance company required this, then yes, marinas would either educate one of their own employee's on how to do this (i.e. Get Certified)
or the new owners would seek out on their own a Certified instructor.

The cost to a dealer or marina are NOTHING. I have had roughly 3 or 4 training captains over the past 10 years. I pay them an avg. of 20-25/hr. They typically log 8-10 hours w/ a customer. Thats approx. 160-250.00. If that is unafordable they don't need to be in business.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Registered

Did your neighbor ask any questions about the boat? I am friends with Barry at Shockwave, and from my experience with him he has been more than happy to educate his customers on their boats. Barry is a boater and I know that he has taken his customers to the lake in their boats many times to show them how to operate them.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Part of the problem today with boaters......

My boat salesman took me to the boat...showed me that everything on the invoice was actually on the boat...of course a few things were missing and noted...then a Sargent Sacto Salute and away I went...by myself!

...I think anyone buying a boat capable of going
80-150 mph...needs a few lessons over a period of time....maybe over a 2 week span say 6-10 hours.

Quick Reply: Part of the problem today with boaters......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.