Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Loto Vs The Great Lakes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105926-loto-vs-great-lakes.html)

phughes69 06-19-2005 11:58 PM

Loto Vs The Great Lakes

I dont mean to be condecending to anyone who boats on Loto but why is there such a big buzz about it? I looked at the map of it and it looks like it is only a couple miles wide on average. How long is it? I usually boat on Lake St Clair and hope to get up to Lake Huron and Lake Erie this year.

Buddy OO 06-20-2005 12:30 AM

Re: Loto Vs The Great Lakes

1500 miles of shoreline, more powerboats than any inland waterway, can own waterfront property, thousands of million plus homes on water, hundreds of waterfront bars and restaurants, 4 star dining, outlet mall, airports, every store and restaurant chainm party cove with over 3,000 boats . there is no other lake in the us like it period. close to st. louis, kansas city. just so much to do and great people. come on down and see us. ask all your grand lake friends why they all come up to loto. huge party lake/

MarkSmith 06-20-2005 12:30 AM

You can boat for about 90 miles without stopping.
1200+miles of shoreline.
Bars and restaurants: 80-100+
Party Cove: 1000-1500 boats tied up everyweekend and .......
Many marinas, resorts, condos, boat dealers,.......................................... ...............

If you never have been there, go to the shootout. Powerboat Heaven.

JaayTeee 06-20-2005 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by MarkSmith
If you never have been there, go to the shootout. Powerboat Heaven.

You got that right :cool: :D

WARPARTY36 06-20-2005 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one good reason :D

Wally 06-20-2005 10:45 AM

Mark hit it right on the money.....and the 90 miles he speaks of is on the main channel....not counting all the little coves and branches off the sides to go and explore! Its very easy to get lost there at night if you have not been there before :D A GPS or a local girl are handy to have with you at night :D :D :D :evilb:

fund razor 06-20-2005 12:26 PM

Having grown up on the great lakes....

It would be strange having only pleasure craft, no shipping traffic, no big ships, no international borders. No seaway. I guess that it would be cool in an inland lake sort of way.

So... can you go out in the middle where you can't see any land or any other watercraft? Can you cruise to distant cities?

Are there two hundred plus years of shipwrecks to dive?

Islands to visit?

What kind of things are there to do?
(I mean in addition to party.)

Cord 06-20-2005 12:26 PM

Make the shootout. You'll be changed. Then go to party cove. You'll never bother launching on the Great Lakes again.

BajaIceBreaker 06-20-2005 01:20 PM

I think LOTO is awesome!!! Nothing like it on the planet. But, there's nothing like Lake Erie either. Or St. Claire. They are all different and the best. On the Great Lakes, you can go wide open at 2 AM without worrying about hitting another boat, or shoreline!!! If you want to be the only boat on the water (for nude sunbathing, or sex, or whatever) you can find that easily. If you want to party, race, poker run, swim, you can do that on Lake Erie.
If you like crowds, and crowded water, I think LOTO is getting that way. Crowds of parties and multitudes of stops for food and drink. LOTO!!!
I have never been there either. I want to go like no tomorrow, but it does seem crowded and small. So I see where Fund Razor is coming from. Then again, Sandusky Bay can get pretty crowded too.

Sean H 06-20-2005 01:37 PM

i wouldn't say LOTO is small or crowded, is it narrower than a great lake? sure, it's nothing but a damed up river. I kinda like being able to see both sides of the lake at any given time, but there is plenty of room to run whatever you got whenever you want to. There are plenty of coves to go hide in if you want to be by yourself and there is nothing else like it as far as on the water entertainment goes.. that all being said, i am pumped about going to smoke on the water in a few weeks too.. :D but i might be a little biased.... :D :evilb:

fund razor 06-20-2005 01:46 PM

I guess sometimes I like to run the rivers, so I know what you mean as far as seeing shore on both sides.

Maybe it's just a case of different scenery.

Different scenery is cool.

I LOVE havasu. (Just love it more on slow days.)

BLee 06-20-2005 02:09 PM

Having boated on both Lake Michigan and loto I have to say they have very little in common. It's not really fair to compare the two lakes.

Semper Fi 06-20-2005 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by wiggler4490
1500 miles of shoreline, more powerboats than any inland waterway, can own waterfront property, thousands of million plus homes on water, hundreds of waterfront bars and restaurants, 4 star dining, outlet mall, airports, every store and restaurant chainm party cove with over 3,000 boats . there is no other lake in the us like it period. close to st. louis, kansas city. just so much to do and great people. come on down and see us. ask all your grand lake friends why they all come up to loto. huge party lake/

HAVASU!!!! Just kidding guys :D LOTO sounds pretty cool from the above description. I plan on making a trip out there sometime

Tbonepmp 06-20-2005 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
Having boated on both Lake Michigan and loto I have to say they have very little in common. It's not really fair to compare the two lakes.

I agree... two completely different animals.

Wally 06-20-2005 03:53 PM

Each one has its plus sides.....all or most of which have been mentioned above....If your not local to LOTO then it would be in your best interest to go and visit it......even if its just one time and you dont like it you can say youve been there. And having been there numerus times its a great boating place!!! And like wise for anyone that hasnt experienced the great lakes! Theres just something about boating on a body of water that can match ocean type water conditions at you at the blink of an eye!!! :D

Wally 06-20-2005 03:54 PM

Oh and no matter where you go or how big a body of water you are in.....theres always that one guy that HAS to bee too close to you or doesnt know how the right of way works on the ater and Forcs you off your heading!!! :mad: :rolleyes:

Horseplay 06-20-2005 04:23 PM

You can boat for about 90 miles without stopping.
1200+miles of shoreline.
Bars and restaurants: 80-100+
Party Cove: 1000-1500 boats tied up everyweekend and .......
Many marinas, resorts, condos, boat dealers,.......................................... ...............
Haven't been to LOTO but we do spend a lot of time on Lake Huron. While it's not a party lake (you need to bring your own party) we can boat for 100 miles and never see land - or another boat.

Madcow 06-20-2005 04:41 PM

[QUOTE=ScarabScoundroul]
If you like crowds, and crowded water....[quote]
You lost me right there. I'll stick with the millions of square miles of the great lakes.

FASTERDAMITT 06-20-2005 05:07 PM

It's all about the shorline in sight. More things to look at, places to more or fish, some people more comfortable seeing land, food and beer!

Steve_H 06-20-2005 05:23 PM

i know Nort loves LOTO.
thats good enough reason for me to like it too. :evilb: :D

delsol 06-20-2005 06:11 PM

I've been to LOTO on July 4th and I've been St. Clair/ Erie,-- They are somewhat different :rolleyes:
Loto was probably the biggest/ best party on the water I have ever been at bar none--- think Jobbie nooner times 10+ with that many more women.
I still like PIB and Kellesys but you'd have to experience Loto to ever make a statement about it.
Now I want to hit Havasu :D

Mentalpause 06-20-2005 06:15 PM

I've boated both and agree with all the comments above. The only thing that bugged me about St Clair was the depth. It's much harder to find shallow water at LOTO.

carney 06-20-2005 07:16 PM

Does loto have a prker run and if so when and ,what is the entry fee.

dykstra 06-20-2005 07:21 PM

Loto :d

Sean H 06-20-2005 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by carney
Does loto have a prker run and if so when and ,what is the entry fee.

already happened, it was last weekend....

OU Want Some?!! 06-20-2005 07:33 PM

One word--- WEATHER.
we went to smoke on the water last year and plan to go back this year, but hearing the locals tell about their FIRST nice weekend (LOW 80's!), IN JULY...WHOA...big daddy, I would be moving SOUTH!!

haharun21 06-20-2005 07:50 PM

so uhh how fast do you think that skater 399 v at lcm with 1000sc s and #6 s is

woogie 06-20-2005 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by un ortho docs
One word--- WEATHER.
we went to smoke on the water last year and plan to go back this year, but hearing the locals tell about their FIRST nice weekend (LOW 80's!), IN JULY...WHOA...big daddy, I would be moving SOUTH!!

Those Locals :D They always exaggerate and bs visitors about there being only 2 seasons - July and Winter. The boating season is actually much shorter that - begins when you can dive in without your manhood disappearing... Should be good for Smoke - have had plenty of 90's so far and the water is getting soft. low 60's water temp at Holland, high 50's at GH and almost 70 S. of Saugatuck - just watch out in the deep end....

OU Want Some?!! 06-20-2005 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by woogie
Those Locals :D They always exaggerate and bs visitors about there being only 2 seasons - July and Winter. The boating season is actually much shorter that - begins when you can dive in without your manhood disappearing... Should be good for Smoke - have had plenty of 90's so far and the water is getting soft. low 60's water temp at Holland, high 50's at GH and almost 70 S. of Saugatuck - just watch out in the deep end....

.....O-----K.....we'll STILL go. Had a GREAT time last year, just a little chilly, (a jacket in the goody bag!!). Need more heat and humidity!!

BLee 06-21-2005 09:14 AM

.....O-----K.....we'll STILL go. Had a GREAT time last year, just a little chilly, (a jacket in the goody bag!!). Need more heat and humidity!!

Yeah I agree. The weather would drive me insane up there. SOTW is my clear 2nd favorite Poker Run. The 1st obviously being Key West for the races and all out blast it produces. (Oh, and it's warm! :D )

I am pumped about SOTW this year. :cool:

OU Want Some?!! 06-21-2005 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
Yeah I agree. The weather would drive me insane up there. SOTW is my clear 2nd favorite Poker Run. The 1st obviously being Key West for the races and all out blast it produces. (Oh, and it's warm! :D )

I am pumped about SOTW this year. :cool:

OH,.....YOU WANT SOME?!!

..........so I'm kickin' this MTI's a$$ and.......

44MTI 06-21-2005 10:00 AM

OH,.....YOU WANT SOME?!!

..........so I'm kickin' this MTI's a$$ and.......

Then you woke up and realized it was only a dream that won't come true.

miamioffshore 06-21-2005 11:17 AM

Both are great, but for entirely different reasons, most of them have been covered. That being said, LOTO is THE place to be if you want a boat party that puts Havasu to shame, although LOTO is the dirtiest body of watre I've ever been in, very high fecal material count, when I was younger I couldn't swim in it without getting an ear infection every single trip.

OU Want Some?!! 06-21-2005 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by miamioffshore
Both are great, but for entirely different reasons, most of them have been covered. That being said, LOTO is THE place to be if you want a boat party that puts Havasu to shame, although LOTO is the dirtiest body of watre I've ever been in, very high fecal material count, when I was younger I couldn't swim in it without getting an ear infection every single trip.

Yeah, I'd probably close my mouth in the water at LOTO, ESPECIALLY in party cove!

Canada Jeff 06-21-2005 02:21 PM

Does LOTO get rough? Lots of big boats, but is there any real skill needed to run them fast, or is it just boat wakes?

The great Lakes can take a 40 foot what ever and make her feel real, small real fast!!

44MTI 06-21-2005 02:37 PM

I'm sure you didn''t mean it the way is sounds, but that is almost comical. Sure you can get up and down the lake with out killing your self, most times. but if you want to run any speeds on a weekend you will definately need some skills. LOTO is probably the most busy water way per spuare ft of water out there.At leat half of these are 40+ ft crusers running wide open. It is not a wide lake but does have rock walls on the sides, so all these large wakes come right back at you. We passed a 65 foot Sea Ray running at leat 30mph leaving at least a 5 ft wake.All this along with the other cruisers. Pretty rough even in a 42' cat.

Sean H 06-21-2005 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 42MTI
I'm sure you didn''t mean it the way is sounds, but that is almost comical. Sure you can get up and down the lake with out killing your self, most times. but if you want to run any speeds on a weekend you will definately need some skills. LOTO is probably the most busy water way per spuare ft of water out there.At leat half of these are 40+ ft crusers running wide open. It is not a wide lake but does have rock walls on the sides, so all these large wakes come right back at you. We passed a 65 foot Sea Ray running at leat 30mph leaving at least a 5 ft wake.All this along with the other cruisers. Pretty rough even in a 42' cat.

it doesn't take any skill to run that suv of yours does it? :D

the problem with LOTO is that the wakes just never go away, ever..... they bounce of the rock bluffs, the seawalls, other massive cruisers and then tear up my dock.... :rolleyes: so at its worse is it as rough as the great lakes can get at their worse? no way, we don't get weather related waves like you guys can, but it gets rough enough where you don't want any part of it sometimes...

44MTI 06-21-2005 02:47 PM

Not a problem in the MTI, but it will tear the bottom out of those Skaters and No Techs.

wrinkleface 06-21-2005 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by miamioffshore

Can't speak for LOTO( have never been there ) but up in the northeast part of Lake MI out of Charlevoix where I boat you can look down in the water and think you are looking at 5-8 feet of depth and then you look at your depth reading and it sez 15-20 feet, gorgeous waters! But, summer is short and the Lake MI water does induce shrinkage factor heavily! Wrink

JaayTeee 06-21-2005 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
Does LOTO get rough? Lots of big boats, but is there any real skill needed to run them fast, or is it just boat wakes?

The great Lakes can take a 40 foot what ever and make her feel real, small real fast!!

You get blasted from every which way.

That cruiser you passed a mile ago's
wake has just bouced off a seawall or
cliff, and will be slamming you in the
side anytime now :eek:

It's like driving around the inside of a washing machine
on "AGITATE" cycle.

Yes....skill is required.