Like Tree0Likes

size restriction on havasu?

Reply
Old 06-28-2005, 09:07 PM
  #11
Registered
 
dave911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: SoCal
My Boats: SOLD! 1991 Sutphen 26' Rum Runner
Posts: 883
Default Re: size restriction on havasu?

If memory serves, parts of the channel can get pretty narrow.
It seems reasonable to me to have a size limitation for safety.
While "most" OSO guys are decent pilots, you get some drunk squid in there with a big boat and...
dave911 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:45 PM
  #12
Masher touches my
Gold Member
 
Outdrive1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Phoenix, Az
My Boats: DCB DCB DCB DCB DCB
Posts: 2,280
Default Re: size restriction on havasu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisistank
Oh, they enforce it! We were booted out last season. We were running through in a Tiger and a Top Gun

That sucks, but how many times have your run through there without being bothered? The earlier post mentioned something about houseboats and that makes more sense. I guess that having the sign there just gives them the "right" to hassle you if they feel like it and kick you out for no other apparent reason as well. Communist bastards.....
Outdrive1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:54 PM
  #13
Registered
 
thisistank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Channel Islands, So. Cal.
My Boats: Making the best in the industry BETTER for over 25 years...... Lip-Ship Performance 305-933-9988
Posts: 10,675
Default Re: size restriction on havasu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
That sucks, but how many times have your run through there without being bothered? The earlier post mentioned something about houseboats and that makes more sense. I guess that having the sign there just gives them the "right" to hassle you if they feel like it and kick you out for no other apparent reason as well. Communist bastards.....

I just think with the boats out there getting larger and larger and faster and faster the city officials and local law enforcement are getting a little overwhelmed and don't know how to handle it. The length limits in the channel have been posted there for years but never enforced until the last couple of years.

The boat cop that stopped us was really cool and just said we couldn't be in the channel. I said we were moving through and he was cool with that. At the same time Gibsons 40 MTI was beached right across from us as well as a few other 38-42 foot boats. I asked the cop about docking in front of the LBR and the answer was the same, they're all illegal to be in here.

Hopefully they see the big picture and chill a bit. With the lifting of the limits during the run that shows a good sign. Now to just kick the owner of the marina out and get some decent people in there and all will be well.
thisistank is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:05 AM
  #14
Masher touches my
Gold Member
 
Outdrive1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Phoenix, Az
My Boats: DCB DCB DCB DCB DCB
Posts: 2,280
Default Re: size restriction on havasu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisistank
I just think with the boats out there getting larger and larger and faster and faster the city officials and local law enforcement are getting a little overwhelmed and don't know how to handle it. The length limits in the channel have been posted there for years but never enforced until the last couple of years.

The boat cop that stopped us was really cool and just said we couldn't be in the channel. I said we were moving through and he was cool with that. At the same time Gibsons 40 MTI was beached right across from us as well as a few other 38-42 foot boats. I asked the cop about docking in front of the LBR and the answer was the same, they're all illegal to be in here.

Hopefully they see the big picture and chill a bit. With the lifting of the limits during the run that shows a good sign. Now to just kick the owner of the marina out and get some decent people in there and all will be well.

Gibson's boat........
Attached Thumbnails
size restriction on havasu?-picture-095.jpg  
Outdrive1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:21 PM
  #15
Registered
 
carney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: FINGER LAKES N.Y.
My Boats: 1997 35 lightning
Posts: 799
Default Re: size restriction on havasu?

stay on top of it and maybe the out come will be good. boating is a lot of fun uot there.
carney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:44 PM
  #16
Registered
 
fund razor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
My Boats: Apache 28 Brave
Posts: 8,170
Default Re: size restriction on havasu?

I have been going to Havasu since 82 when my buddy's dad moved out there to open a pharmacy. Every time I go back I am amazed at how much has changed. I have lots of old time pics for some other thread. (this is about restrictions... not good old days pics.)

I remember when boat traffic was rather light. Mostly little outboards and those first stand up jet skis.

It's a shame that they have a prick running the marina. Doesn't seem like any doubt that he is.

But every community has the right to legislate what they want.
Visitors do not have this right.

If I was one of the oldsters in Havasu I would be freaked out by the lines of perf boats coming in from CA and NV.

I would say if you really love Havasu as a performance boating mecca, and you want to see the town move all the way in that direction... your only option is to move there, buy property and register to vote.

They don't tell MY community what to do.
I'm not telling THEM what to do until the day that I am a registered Lake Havasu City voter.
fund razor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:16 PM
  #17
Registered
 
thisistank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Channel Islands, So. Cal.
My Boats: Making the best in the industry BETTER for over 25 years...... Lip-Ship Performance 305-933-9988
Posts: 10,675
Default Re: size restriction on havasu?

I'll let you guys know about the size restrictions after this weekend. We'll be there Friday to Monday. Plan on sipping cocktails in the channel. We'll see how it goes
thisistank is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:04 PM
  #18
Registered
 
thisistank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Channel Islands, So. Cal.
My Boats: Making the best in the industry BETTER for over 25 years...... Lip-Ship Performance 305-933-9988
Posts: 10,675
Default Re: size restriction on havasu?

No sweat! We cruised the channel several times and chilled for a while and watched the activities for a while with out a problem. Drove past several law enforcement boats and got the friendly wave. Here's my step daughter driving the boat through the channel thinking she's king sh!t!
Attached Thumbnails
size restriction on havasu?-small2.jpg  
thisistank is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:11 PM
  #19
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
lucky strike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida
My Boats: Using LS JR. TG
Posts: 8,468
Default Re: size restriction on havasu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisistank
No sweat! We cruised the channel several times and chilled for a while and watched the activities for a while with out a problem. Drove past several law enforcement boats and got the friendly wave. Here's my step daughter driving the boat through the channel thinking she's king sh!t!
Nice hat

LS JR.
lucky strike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:20 PM
  #20
Registered
 
thisistank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Channel Islands, So. Cal.
My Boats: Making the best in the industry BETTER for over 25 years...... Lip-Ship Performance 305-933-9988
Posts: 10,675
Default Re: size restriction on havasu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky strike
Nice hat

LS JR.
that's my pimpin' hat...She stole it from me
thisistank is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Codered
General Q & A
21
06-15-2007 10:41 AM
tomas_wallin
Pantera
10
05-03-2007 07:03 AM
tewks
General Q & A
0
06-28-2004 05:22 PM
Crazyhorse
General Boating Discussion
0
02-28-2002 01:34 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.