Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   LOTO for dummies (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/106755-loto-dummies.html)

bobonthis 06-30-2005 04:16 PM

LOTO for dummies

Ok well I am new to the Lake and want some background out here and feel clueless so here are some questions,
Bacardi boat? Does it still race or is it the race one? What is the affiliation with Auggie? (see one you always see the other)
Whos Callan marine?
Is there beef between Bacardi and Big Thunder?( I ask because of the billboard in front of Big Thunder)
Who is locally the fastest cat?
What about fastest V-Bottom?
Any other info will help just want to know the scene a bit.

Sean H 06-30-2005 04:30 PM

Re: LOTO for dummies

The bacardi boat you see most is the 46 skater, px1... last years race boat, races MTI's this year in OSS... you may see that too, never know... :cool: www.nautiboats.com

Callan marine is Dave Callan... www.callanmarine.com not really at LOTO except for the shootout in August....

No beef that i know of, bacardi has billboards everywhere.... bacardi sponsors Dave Scott (kilokat on here) hence the Auggie connection you mentioned before... bob is a racer too, both guys are national/world champions...
how many lakes can say that?

Dave's 36 skater is the fastest cat locally until somebody lays down another 200 MPH pass.... (i don't count hydoplanes since miss bud can't run when its really rough... and its retired now)

Fastest V-bottom is a good question.... a couple of fast OL's down there, somebody else might have to chime in that...

bobonthis 06-30-2005 07:54 PM

ok, that clears it up a little, I have been seeing a big white cat 46 prob? with something red on the back, new boat to the lake? I have seen him out yesterday and today but that is it I also see quite frequently a yellow cat that is over Salty Dog quite bit, but not lately. Sean H are you local and what do you have?

gsmith9898 06-30-2005 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by rastaboatin
Ok well I am new to the Lake and want some background out here and feel clueless so here are some questions,
Bacardi boat? Does it still race or is it the race one? What is the affiliation with Auggie? (see one you always see the other)
Whos Callan marine?
Is there beef between Bacardi and Big Thunder?( I ask because of the billboard in front of Big Thunder)
Who is locally the fastest cat?
What about fastest V-Bottom?
Any other info will help just want to know the scene a bit.

I'm coming for the first time the last week of july. Learn the lake so I can ask you where everything is at. What kind of boat do you have?

Sean H 06-30-2005 08:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)

ok, that clears it up a little, I have been seeing a big white cat 46 prob? with something red on the back, new boat to the lake? I have seen him out yesterday and today but that is it I also see quite frequently a yellow cat that is over Salty Dog quite bit, but not lately. Sean H are you local and what do you have?

yellow cat is probably a 36 nor-tech, could be "get er done" or "cats meow" which is wiggler4490 on here... i don't know who the white 46 would be unless you are talking about this boat? it is a 43 nor-tech from grand lake owned by un ortho docs on here...

the blue one is mine, getting painted/put back together and will be back on the water in a few weeks...

bobonthis 06-30-2005 08:05 PM

Right now I personally don't own a boat, it was our moving money, I have had friends from Ohio in town almost every weekend so have been buming rides,but no one is in town until the shootout now so I will be beached, I know the lake well and can pretty much tell you where everything is at, I just moved here and am right across from the Salty Dog, so I see almost every boat on the water since I am on the main channel. What kind of boat are you bring down?(gsmith9898)

bobonthis 06-30-2005 08:09 PM

No it was not OU this one is all white not a mark on it except for something in red on the back sides, I want to say get er done is the one I saw at Dog Days, don't recall your boat either this year, looks great how it is there, who does your paint work? and is he local? the only one I have heard of is Vincent who is local, he did my buddies 42 fountain, which is now at Lake Cumberland Marine. I have also seen a rat logo on a lot of boats around here that are custom painted, who is that?

gsmith9898 06-30-2005 08:17 PM

Right now I personally don't own a boat, it was our moving money, I have had friends from Ohio in town almost every weekend so have been buming rides,but no one is in town until the shootout now so I will be beached, I know the lake well and can pretty much tell you where everything is at, I just moved here and am right across from the Salty Dog, so I see almost every boat on the water since I am on the main channel. What kind of boat are you bring down?(gsmith9898)

I will be staying at the chateau ( where ever that is). I have a 2004 27 foot eliminator daytona.

Sean H 06-30-2005 08:20 PM

No it was not OU this one is all white not a mark on it except for something in red on the back sides, I want to say get er done is the one I saw at Dog Days, don't recall your boat either this year, looks great how it is there, who does your paint work? and is he local? the only one I have heard of is Vincent who is local, he did my buddies 42 fountain, which is now at Lake Cumberland Marine. I have also seen a rat logo on a lot of boats around here that are custom painted, who is that?

mine was all white before the paint, and it was painted by glassdave on here in ohio... vincent does great work, and is pretty busy... the rat logo is ratical graphics in union, mo, he does a lot of MTI's, black thunders and others... alot of good painters in MO, visual imagination is in the KC area (speed racer, monopoly black thunder)

bobonthis 06-30-2005 08:22 PM

If it is the Lake Chateau resort it is right across the street from me, do you have a dock there to use? I use to work at a high performance shop in Ohio and we just got done building early 90's 27 foot eliminator daytona that we are bringing to the shootout, if we can get a 38p prop it should run about 140mph, no bs. Let me know if you need anything, info or anything I will do my best, like I said I live around here year around so I am always here.

bobonthis 06-30-2005 08:24 PM

What is glassdave's real name and where is he located? I am from Columbus, Ohio, and actually driving there tomorrow morning.

Sean H 06-30-2005 08:27 PM

140 will be good in a 27' single engine boat at the shootout... you might not need the biggest prop you can find, you only get a mile from a standing start, acceleration is the key... :cool:

dave is in toledo...

gsmith9898 06-30-2005 08:30 PM

If it is the Lake Chateau resort it is right across the street from me, do you have a dock there to use? I use to work at a high performance shop in Ohio and we just got done building early 90's 27 foot eliminator daytona that we are bringing to the shootout, if we can get a 38p prop it should run about 140mph, no bs. Let me know if you need anything, info or anything I will do my best, like I said I live around here year around so I am always here.

yes its the resort. We have a dock reserved. Mine has the 525efi. It is under warranty till 5-06 than it gets a whipple. I've already called paul phaff to get a whipple in oct. I'm from Tulsa and the group from grand lake suggested the chateau. They my boat is small for lake and that I'll get beat to death. What do you think?

bobonthis 06-30-2005 08:32 PM

Yeah kind of the delema we are working with right now, we will be speed testing with a 36p this weekend at a little local lake, the guy just had us install a new BMaxx for obvious reasons, this boat use to go like hell but he couldn't idle, so when we went to cumberland last year he rigged up two trolling motors under the swim platform and cruised into the falls like that, but all the kinks are worked out and there is a new pro-charger on it so it should run, the biggest thing will be keeping it in the water. Toledo, ok I thought you were talking about a place in Columbus I use to work doing painting and the guys name was Dave Glassburn.

bobonthis 06-30-2005 08:37 PM

Its all the driver, if you know how to drive it you will be fine, and trust me I see guys all day in 18ft openbows not the smartest thing but if you know how to take the wake you will be fine, it is rough and hard to judge waves since they just bounce back and forth off the cliffs, there is no timing them like in the Great Lakes or Oceans, but yeah the main channel is pretty rough, you can shoot down the lake to different arms where you will be able to open it up. Until these guys in the big 40+ cruisers learn how to get on plane that is the problem we have here, and I don't see any hope in sight.

gsmith9898 06-30-2005 08:40 PM

i'm coming down thursday morning to learn lake before everybody gets there ( i hope).

bobonthis 06-30-2005 08:43 PM

Yeah you will be fine, it just starts to get crowded Thurs, but you will not have a problem, just read the signs because the channel you will be in will turn to no wake Sat, dusk til dawn, if you forget and a lot of people do, the patrol will remind you, I see it all the time.

gsmith9898 06-30-2005 08:50 PM

how are the on the noise? Exhaust is pointed toward the water.

bobonthis 06-30-2005 08:52 PM

Noise is an issue but you should be fine.

PWRQWST 06-30-2005 10:09 PM

rasta
Do you live at Lands End?

bobonthis 06-30-2005 10:47 PM

No bridge pointe, the grey ones to the left, I am the running that job site though as the electrician, do you?

Buddy OO 07-01-2005 08:24 AM

all white cat is Tearbroks 50' Nortech, I love it all white and sounds awesome

PWRQWST 07-01-2005 08:46 AM

No I have a couple of friends who do (Slumlord and Slowride 388 on here) 35 cafe and a 388 slingshot. We stay there when we go down. When you said you were across from the dog I was just curious. We wont be down again until the Shootout but staying clear through untell Labor day :evilb:

bobonthis 07-01-2005 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by wiggler4490
all white cat is Tearbroks 50' Nortech, I love it all white and sounds awesome

Yes it does sound great, Does he plan on keeping it all white or is there custom paint in the future?

bobonthis 07-01-2005 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by PWRQWST
No I have a couple of friends who do (Slumlord and Slowride 388 on here) 35 cafe and a 388 slingshot. We stay there when we go down. When you said you were across from the dog I was just curious. We wont be down again until the Shootout but staying clear through untell Labor day :evilb:

Yes, Nauti Girl beautiful boat, I think I saw the cafe racer out yesterday, there is another guy who lives there 40ft baja (all white) and he says he has like a 46ft Ocean Express or something, friend of yours to?

Griff 07-01-2005 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
i'm coming down thursday morning to learn lake before everybody gets there ( i hope).

I'm gonna be down that same weekend. Probably on Fri afternoon through Mon. We're going to have the our boys(4 & 1 yr) with us. If you want, send me an email. We can exchange cell #'s and maybe hook up. I know the lake pretty well and can point you in the right direction for what you might want to do.

[email protected]

JaayTeee 07-01-2005 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
140 will be good in a 27' single engine boat at the shootout... you might not need the biggest prop you can find, you only get a mile from a standing start, acceleration is the key... :cool:

A friend of mine has a 26 daytona that's won the
class the last couple of years at 145 MPH.

He has a turbo 400 trans......He gets her
accellerating pretty quick :cool: :D

Yes.......Accelleration is key.

gsmith9898 07-01-2005 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Griff
I'm gonna be down that same weekend. Probably on Fri afternoon through Mon. We're going to have the our boys(4 & 1 yr) with us. If you want, send me an email. We can exchange cell #'s and maybe hook up. I know the lake pretty well and can point you in the right direction for what you might want to do.

[email protected]

we will have our 5 year old boy with us. We are going to table rock with family for july 23-27 than get up thur morning and go over to loto and pull out sunday morning. can't wait to see some of the nice boats. e-mail me your number and I'll call you before we head that way. [email protected]

bobonthis 07-02-2005 12:11 AM

jt29olhp500s will he be bringing it this year? I heard it was cancelled so tell him just stay home,lol. Yeah 140 is somewhat conservative, we are testing this weekend in Ohio I will let you know Sunday what she can do.

FunHome 07-02-2005 09:12 AM

jt29olhp500s will he be bringing it this year? I heard it was cancelled so tell him just stay home,lol. Yeah 140 is somewhat conservative, we are testing this weekend in Ohio I will let you know Sunday what she can do.

Tell whoever is testing that thing, to be sure and wear a lifejacket!!!! :eek:

rockit man 07-02-2005 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by jt29olhp500s
A friend of mine has a 26 daytona that's won the
class the last couple of years at 145 MPH.

He has a turbo 400 trans......He gets her
accellerating pretty quick :cool: :D

Yes.......Accelleration is key.

Who was that the ran 145 last year at LOTO. I have not been able to find all the speeds posted.

I am fairly new to this board am located in oregon and currently run a Eliminator Datona 26 with a Weisman Drive and a Whipple 980 supercharged 588. I plan on comming to LOTO this year, would be nice to know what speed was fastest in 2004 in the Single Eng Cat 26 ft class. Its a tow out there ,2200 miles for me .Will be at TanTara on Wed afternoon.
Any info on the LOTO run would be great and or recomendations .Are there any videos posted anywhere of the LOTO runs. Thanks

bobonthis 07-03-2005 11:29 PM

www.lakeshootout.com

Cord 07-05-2005 12:36 PM

I know that there was a video circulating of the HTM that blew over. I don't think the link is valid any more though. The class that you are looking at must be the most popular one for the entire event. Anybody and everybody is running a blown cat down there. If you want (or need) better odds, go NA. The last time I ran, I was against only one other boat. Of course, I lost to him...but it was only by a couple of mph and I didn't have my fast prop with me! :drink:

Callen does not exist any more. The boat was destroyed at the Key West race and they have a new one. I BELIEVE the new one is also a Tencara and is running the Torque V12's they are now promoting.

Sean H 07-05-2005 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cord
I know that there was a video circulating of the HTM that blew over. I don't think the link is valid any more though. The class that you are looking at must be the most popular one for the entire event. Anybody and everybody is running a blown cat down there. If you want (or need) better odds, go NA. The last time I ran, I was against only one other boat. Of course, I lost to him...but it was only by a couple of mph and I didn't have my fast prop with me! :drink:

Callen does not exist any more. The boat was destroyed at the Key West race and they have a new one. I BELIEVE the new one is also a Tencara and is running the Torque V12's they are now promoting.

callan still exists (well the tencara doesn't) that is dave's last name so i am sure he will be around for awhile, the new 50 is his own deisgn (well his partner cosker designed it) and will be running turbines for the shootout...

KiloKat 07-05-2005 01:13 PM

callan still exists (well the tencara doesn't) that is dave's last name so i am sure he will be around for awhile, the new 50 is his own deisgn (well his partner cosker designed it) and will be running turbines for the shootout...

Dave Callan and I talk quite frequently and Sean is 100% correct in his post.

bobonthis 07-05-2005 01:17 PM

Have you heard any #'s on what he is suppose to run? Any pics anywhere? Our boat did not test as well as we thought, we only had a 36p prop on 93oct and top speed was 136, so there is some adjustments being made but I don't know if it is going to be worthy enough for the shootout, and of coarse we always wear our life jackets, during testing, poker runs, regattas, whatever if we are going to be running hard or rough they are on, it is just not worth taking the chance.

Sean H 07-05-2005 01:46 PM

Have you heard any #'s on what he is suppose to run? Any pics anywhere? Our boat did not test as well as we thought, we only had a 36p prop on 93oct and top speed was 136, so there is some adjustments being made but I don't know if it is going to be worthy enough for the shootout, and of coarse we always wear our life jackets, during testing, poker runs, regattas, whatever if we are going to be running hard or rough they are on, it is just not worth taking the chance.

i think they are looking for 225+ when it is all sorted out...

Sean H 07-05-2005 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by KiloKat
Dave Callan and I talk quite frequently and Sean is 100% correct in his post.

i don't like your new mufflers Dave, I can't hear you coming anymore.... :D :D :D

KiloKat 07-05-2005 02:51 PM

i don't like your new mufflers Dave, I can't hear you coming anymore.... :D :D :D

Pretty amazing isn't it? I idled within 3 feet of the Water Patrol in my 46 while heading to party cove a couple weeks ago. It was actually pretty funny. They had their decibel meter in hand and after I passed I could see them in my rear-view mirror. They were both staring at the back of my boat in what appeared to be disbelief!

Sean H 07-05-2005 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
who fabricated all that? not only is it functional, i think it looks pretty cool too... :cool: you must be still running mufflers, because even on plane, it isn't as loud as it used to be... how far down do those go?