Risk of Selling Boat To Man In Europe

Notices

Risk of Selling Boat To Man In Europe

Old 07-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Risk of Selling Boat To Man In Europe

Originally Posted by eliminator219
Today they got back to me,guess that I spoke too soon. They half way sound alright and half way scam, will notify my bank with copy of their offer tomorrow,then wait to see what they say..
They want to wire me via a Bank to Bank transfer the downpayment. However, they want me to send funds to a party to come and check out my boat. Then upon the ok of inspection agent the balance plus the amount I pay for the inspection will be wired...Then they will take control of Boat. Will see what my bank says tomorrow..However, Like I mention earlier, the boat is not going anywhere until the money is in my tin can and buried!!
What do you guys think?
eliminator219
This isnt the same guy who says he is buying boats for a company in the UK that rents them is it??? And then offers to cut you in on the "BUSINESS Deal" I had a guy call me with this story....wasted a lot of my time and when I got my bank involved...I never heard another word......Good luck....and be extremely careful..........
Old 07-04-2005, 02:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

If the guy in the UK goes by the name of George Brett, it's a scam!! He was trying to scam a fellow OSO'er on his Cigarette!
Old 07-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vee Cat transfers can definately be reversed. I have seen it happen two weeks after the bank said the transfer was good and the funds were available. The bank said the only way to safeguard against this is to remove the money as soon as it is available. If it is not in the account they can't touch it.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:15 PM
JC
Registered

I had the same offer on my 2001 cat... Offering asking price, I walked away, to many stange things in the deal for me.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Registered

There is absolutely NO reason why you should have to front them a single dime!
This smells like a variation on the nigerian scam to me.
Proceed very carefully, some of these guys are real slick.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Registered

I had a guy from Europe interested in my old 632", he sounded legit and had "all the answers" as to why would he not just have one built there...etc,etc. He offered to send me the full asking price BUT wanted me to pay for the shipping for which he would send to me once he got the motor....he also wanted me to include some bogus invoice that significantly under valued the motor so I could help him save some sort of "import tax". I refused the invoice part, which he didn't have a big problem with. I then told him I wanted a Fed wire transfer to my (just opened for this transaction) account and that he could wire the "shipping fees" either directly to Fed Ex / UPS when they had the motor in their posession or to a third party for Escrow...his choice. Never heard from him again.....

A fed Wire can't be reversed after it has arrived in your account unless you (or the receiving party) specifically authoize (or release) it back. To be even more sure, move it from the incoming account to another account the next day and be sure it happens.

Not that you would send a boat COD, but be very careful sending items COD as I know someone personally who sent an item COD and the receiving party picked it up at the "warehouse" before the "extremely well known" shipping company send it out for final delivery....paid for the item with a fake cashiers check (15k) and guess who lost? It sure wasn't the well known shipping company......