Notices

Muffler Update-loto

Old 07-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Update-loto

After Several Weeks Of Testing Various Manufacturers, Models, Every Combination And As Many As 2 Inserts And A Clampon On 1 Motor, Still Have Not Gotten To 90 Db's On A 1150ho Blower Motor With Wet Or Dry Exhaust. Got Close On The 850's At 95db's. I Really Believe Right Now The Under Water Turn Downs Qare The Quick Fix, Until Someone Can Make A Muffler That Can Comply, Also Performance Drops Have Been Severe With Multiple Muffler Applications. Going To Follow Dave Scott And Have Some Custom Turn Downs Made For The Nortech's. If Anyone Has A Better Solution Let Me Know. Thanks To All The Companies For Allowing Us To Demo There New Products, Getting Closer. Water Patrol Is Just Ruthless Will Not Allow 1 Decibel Over 90 Period.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Muffler Update-loto

Clamp-ons won't fit my boat's tailpipes and you've proven inserts (made to date) are restrictive. Please keep us posted with info about the down-turns. Who's making them for you, costs, and photos too.
Mine will be interesting to make, since the tailpipes are siamesed.
Thanks!
Due
Old 07-05-2005, 04:47 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these are the answer.....
Attached Thumbnails Muffler Update-loto-t_kif_3129.jpg  
Old 07-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Banned

Your Exactly Right Sean. They Work Great For Dave. Do You Like The 2 Coming Together Or The 4 Seperate For The Nortech Cats. Also Is Your Boat Going To Be Ready For Grand Lake Run, Let Me Know Would Like To Hook Up With You Guys. Thanks Jim. Ggb, Hpi And Gibson Can All Make The Turn Downs, They All Have To Be Somewhat Custom Made Because Cmi Pipes Are All A Little Different. Dont Yet Know Cost Would Guess 800$ Or So A Pair. They Work Until The Law Starts Doing A Running Test, But How Can They Check You Running When There Are 30 Boats Around You And Over 20,000 On The Lake.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:26 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Jim,
My mufflers/tailpipes meet both the idle and running test. If you want to see turndowns that do not come together, check out my 36. On it we come straight down on either side of the drives. We did the 46 like pictured because we had to clear the support box for the Arneson drives.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Jim,
The turndowns will be even more difficult to fit to boats that have steerable drives as they will need room for turning. The picture above is a rudder.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KiloKat
Jim,
My mufflers/tailpipes meet both the idle and running test. If you want to see turndowns that do not come together, check out my 36. On it we come straight down on either side of the drives. We did the 46 like pictured because we had to clear the support box for the Arneson drives.
Dave, So inside the tailpipe is a muffler as well or is it just a turn down?? Are the ends of the pipe out of the water when running???
Old 07-05-2005, 07:11 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Originally Posted by FunHome
Dave, So inside the tailpipe is a muffler as well or is it just a turn down?? Are the ends of the pipe out of the water when running???
Yes, immediately after the tailpipe out of the transom is a 6" long muffler which then funnels into 4.5"OD tailpipes (without mufflers) which turn down. The ends of the exhaust pipe run above the waterline once on place. This setup is so quiet you wouldn't believe it. What is so cool is that regardless of the muffler manufacturer of your choice, the turndowns still work great and don't add any restriction. I think it is definately something to consider where noise standards are enforced.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Banned

yes the steering of the drives and tie bars do restrict how the turn downs must go. I think after speaking with Sobo we will have to return back towards transom after rub rail, will probably go 4 down like Daves 36, It actually looks pretty cool the way he did it. . jim
Old 07-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Registered

My creation worked well until I blew a flap off this weekend. The water mixes in the down pipe with a baffle insert.

Nice to talk with you Jim.

Mark Smith
Chi-Town Hustler
Attached Thumbnails Muffler Update-loto-30486037.jpg   Muffler Update-loto-chicago-photo-run.jpg  

Last edited by MarkSmith; 07-05-2005 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Muffler Update-loto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.