Why is this so expensive?? >

Why is this so expensive??

Notices

Why is this so expensive??

Old 07-09-2005, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why is this so expensive??

Why is performance boating this freaking expensive?
I keep looking for a boat - used to have a Baja 25 Force got it used for $12,000 with a 454 and TRS - Trailer included. Loved that boat.
I know there are some very affluent people on this board, but as I search through the classified's I'm finding boats in the $300-$600 thousand range. In my current career, that is more money than I will make in the next 10 years, not including taxes and living expenses.
And then, props are anywhere from $400 to ??? Yearly expenses of storage, dockage, fuel, and normal use.
I'm trying to find boats in the $50's that I MIGHT be able to afford in 2 years - now I'm getting into spending money on a survey, probably a cross country trip to see it, and every other expense involved in the process.

Sorry All, I'm just getting frustrated. I woke up and it's a beautiful day, and I should be on the water - that has always been my therapy, and I've gone without for 3 years.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why is this so expensive??

You can do a lot with $30 - 50K in the used market. You may not end up with the fanciest or the fastest boat on the water, but you will still get equal enjoyment.

So, stop looking at $200K+ boats, it is only going to frustrate you.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:41 AM
Registered

I just can't figure out how people have that much $$ to spend on a boat.
Maybe I should just buy a $2000 jet-ski and be done with it.

All kidding aside - I just can't imagine $5-600000 on a boat - that will drop 50% value in the next 2 years.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you, it is expensive!!! We went from many small boats, then to a 22 and then a 26 and really took care of them knowing that when we sell them, we would want a good dollar for them and when viewed by the buyer it would be an easy sell due to condition. Finally, you can find good deals out there.... we are in Pennsylvania and first went to Kansas to look at a newer model boat with very little hours, then again to Kentucky and finally we went to Michigan where we finally brought one home. It took some time and we looked at the trips as mini vacations, basically cost us time, fuel for the truck and got cheap hotels on Priceline.com, in the end we really brought home a nice clean boat for little money, basically a 31 on a trailer for less then the price your looking at spending. We could have bought new, but had a loan, however we preferred to go a few years older and pay 1/3 the price and not have a loan. With boats, you just have to be patient, spend a lot of time looking, but there is always someone looking to dump a boat quick or banks pushing repos, there are a lot of repos these days!!!! Ours was a repo. Keep searching the web and save the sites and review them weekly because the good ones will go quick!!!

The price of boating sucks... but then when your out there with the trottles in hand, it's worth every penny!!!!

Good Luck!!! Hope you the best with your venture!!!
Old 07-09-2005, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"Why is performance boating this freaking expensive?"

Addictions are funny that way. Good luck with your search.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOU CAN BUY ALOT OF NICE BOATS THAT ARE VERY ENJOYABLE IN THE 20-30 THOUSAND RANGE. YOU MAY THINK IM NUTS BUT SOMETIMES I THINK I HAD MORE FUN WITH MY CHEAPER BOAT WITH LESS POWER THAN WITH MY CURRENT BOAT THAT IS NEARLY TWICE AS BIG WITH TRIPLE THE POWER. JUST STRESS QUALITY OVER SIZE AND POWER. GOOD LUCK
Old 07-09-2005, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i paid 22k for my 1979 35ft cig mistress. the boat lived a good life and was in fantastic shape less power. i bought a used pair of 572 n/a's for 8k carb to pan then rebuilt em. i'll have a little over 40k in the whole shebang. not to shabby, granted i'll have 55k in the blower motors im building but will probably sell the mistress turn key and trade up to something used with #6 drives this winter. get your cash together and be ready when winter comes cuz thats the time to find a deal. i'll have just as much fun at the poker runs as the big guns....so don't gt all bummed out. start saving yer cake,ratman
Old 07-09-2005, 07:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by damdonzi
"Why is performance boating this freaking expensive?"

Addictions are funny that way. Good luck with your search.
Yeah your right, It's an addiction.
My Dad must have been the "pusher", I was running his boat the day he signed it (I was 10). Been hooked ever since.
Now I'm having serious DT's. Been without for too long.
But, I don't want to buy something just to get back on the water, I know what I want, or at least the range of what I want.
It's just that I come on this board, and I love water and performance boats, and watch people move from a $350,000 boat up to a $500,000 boat, (just look through the classifieds), and I'm wishing for something in the $50's.
Good for you, all that can afford it - I'm sure you've worked hard and deserve it.
I work hard too.
This isn't a boo-hoo,pitty party, I just don't understand how a boat can cost half a million to buy, and a few years later it's selling for $125,000. (Although still not in my price range).

I guess we will all pay whatever it costs for our "addiction". I know I will, I'm just holding out until the "pusher" show's me the good stuff, and I have cash in hand.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...4&page=1&pp=20

good reading , post #40 is a good overall call...
Old 07-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Registered

Wink Re: Why is this so expensive??

Open72,
Yeah, I remember reading that thread.
I guess my thread is just a xerox of that one, and it has all good points.
I'm just frustrated this morning. It's a beautiful Sat. morning, and I'm still boatless.
Just venting, and trying to figure out how these guys out at LOTO can afford the boats that are running 140+mph, blow up a drive, and be back on the water next weekend with a new package.
Are these guys for real??
I'll get something I can afford, and enjoy it, and have the money to be able to USE it. But I got a two year plan...

Quick Reply: Why is this so expensive??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.