Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I need help in the Ozarks area. >

I need help in the Ozarks area.

Notices

I need help in the Ozarks area.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I need help in the Ozarks area.

Matt-
I had them ask the owner and he said he did not know anyone.........Really not sure this is the case but they refuse to let me contact him.......I find that hard to believe if he is such a big wig.......I would think he would know someone.......They probably didnt even ask him. I am at such a disadvantage because the boat is soooo far away and dont know anyone in the area other than Rostaboatin A.K.A Matt........I dont get it..........Port Arrowhead which is the broker I am buying it from said they only shrink wrap for storage not transport and even if they did they did not want to be responsible due to the Vincent paint job. Matt can you call Vincent for me and see what he says.........Problem is I am running out of time because my transport guy will be there the eve of the 13th and wants to pull out the morn of the 14th. Kelleys Port Marina said he could have done it if he would have known about it last friday. The guy there (Mark) tryed his best to call around in the OSAGE area to locate someone.......unfortunately everyone is booked especially with such a short notice.

Last edited by born2burn; 07-11-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Registered

Yeah let me call Vincent in the morning, I am off of work all week and am looking for something to do anyways, I will give you a call as soon as I get something rolling.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rastaboatin
Yeah let me call Vincent in the morning, I am off of work all week and am looking for something to do anyways, I will give you a call as soon as I get something rolling.
Ohhhhh my god......man.............thank you soooooo much. Keep me posted.........Im pulling my hair out here.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Registered

If someone tells me how I will go there and shrink wrap the freakin thing myself
A little different for each boat. I usually start by covering all corners (windshield, etc.) with folded plastic shrink. White is good in the summer, blue is good for the winter because the sun will melt the ice.
The folds of shrink form a pad that keeps the edges of things from burning through or splitting.
Next I form a webbing of the strap material. (to support the shrink over the cockpit) If it is for winter... I build a center pole with a wide base and a rounded top. (using old carpet piece or something.)

For summer this is not as crucial, because you won't have the weight. Plus... it would increase trailer drag.

I usually try to tie off the webbing straps to solid cleats or rails. Wherever the straps will hit gel coat, I slip something in between (like small carpet pieces.)

Then I cut the shrink bigger than I need and start folding it in on itself at the bow to see how much I will need up there. Before I start heating I run a strap all the way around the boat loosely. Then I start tucking the shrink up and behind itself, creating a "slot" for the strap. Try not to use too much heat and melt the strap too tight into the "slot." You want it to act like a drawstring in a pair of sweatpants. (for lack of a better analogy.)
The bow will be the hard part, because you will have to cut and melt the shrink to get rid of the extra and make the nose pointy. The sides and stern are easier.

When you work your way around the boat...cut a couple of adjustment slits into the "channel" that you have created to hold the "drawstring." You can use these to tighten the drawstring. When you get the "drawstring" part done, cut some slits in the channel to get at the strap and make some loops under the hull, tying the two sides (port and SB) together under the boat. This will help keep the cover on.

Keep shrinking and tightening it up.

Be extra careful around fittings and stainless, so they don't burn through.

I like to "vent" the cover where there is a vent in the boat. You can cut the wrap, but I like to heat up a small coffee can and melt a perfect hole... so it doesn't tear so easy. Then I make a triangle out of shrink and melt it or tape it with the official "shrink tape" so that the top of the vent is tented, but the bottom is open. (rain protection for vent.)
Old 07-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Registered

Oh.. I forgot.

The drawstring loop is just below the rubrail.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Registered

Hey Thanks Fund Razor, I Am Going To Print That I Would Like To Learn How To Do It So I Can Help Out Other Oso's In The Future If They Buy A Boat From Here, I Did Get A Hold Of Vincent Custom Painting This Morning And He Got In Touch Of A Guy For Me To Do It For Born2burn, So As Of This Point The Boat Should Be Getting Wrapped Right Now, Thanks Again And I Will Definatly Be Working On Doing It Myself.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Registered

Also... it is ok if you melt the strap into the plastic at the bow. Hard to avoid it. But try not to do that on the sides and rear.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Registered

Hey Thanks Fund Razor, I Am Going To Print That I Would Like To Learn How To Do It So I Can Help Out Other Oso's In The Future If They Buy A Boat From Here, I Did Get A Hold Of Vincent Custom Painting This Morning And He Got In Touch Of A Guy For Me To Do It For Born2burn, So As Of This Point The Boat Should Be Getting Wrapped Right Now, Thanks Again And I Will Definatly Be Working On Doing It Myself.

That's cool. No problem... just the basic idea.
I'm sure that different guys do it a little differently.

It's not rocket science... you just have to go real slow until you get experience.

I'm not that good.

But before I realized that I could get inside storage for slightly more... I used to go in on the plastic with a friend of mine. He has the heat gun and we would share the cost of the plastic and do both of our boats each year.

Doing it for winter is much more involved.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Registered

Rastaboatin- Check your voicemail. Call Mike Kelley if your interested going for a ride in that thing with the owner to Village Marina tomorrow to be wraped.
Thanks again man.
Todd
Old 07-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Registered

Not a problem, I got a Dr. apt tomorrow in St.Louis so I will not be able to ride along, I wish I could that thing is a beast, note: get a good 100mph life vest those boats can get in a pickel in a hurry, just be safe and let me know if there is anything else I can do, and I will do my best, when it hits the water post some pics would love to see it in action.

Quick Reply: I need help in the Ozarks area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.