Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Just received new Hydromotive P-5 X, poor quality!!! >

Just received new Hydromotive P-5 X, poor quality!!!

Notices

Just received new Hydromotive P-5 X, poor quality!!!

Old 07-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just received new Hydromotive P-5 X, poor quality!!!

WOW....those guys have a very good rep.....The prop looks used and maybe got into a new box by mistake. I am sure HM will replace the defective units for you....just give them a call.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sorry that I did not see this thread sooner. As most of you know I am the Distributor for Hydromotive. I can tell you that this is not a common occurance. I have viewed the photos and would have to say that this propeller should be sent back to the foundry, and I am sure this is what Hydromotive will do. I also can only say to you all that I have worked very, very closely with Hydromotive Engineering and truely appreciate my relationship with them. They are professional, good guys!!!!!!! I am sure that the propeller will be exchanged without incident.

I also want to address a few comments that were made about propeller, such as weld on blades. Who even does this anymore? Merccury, Hydromotive, Hering, Michigan Wheel, Power Tech and I could go on, ONLY cast there props, they are not welded on blades. What you are seeing in the propellers is the 'Smears" for a lack of a better word, that are created, by man and hand, in the wax molds. Most use the Investment Casting Process.
Now for welding, I don't want to imply that I am the welder at Throttle Up but , I can. The type of welding used here, is TIG welding, to repair the nicks in the blades, typically the result of bottom... finding you! I hope this helps clears a few things up and I invite any of you to call me, anytime, with any questions that you may have.

Oh, and Pure Energy...let us know how the propeller runs for you. Most really have enjoyed there new, P5-X propellers.

Safe Boating!

Julie

Last edited by throttleup; 07-13-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that propellers are cast and not welded.

However the pictures that Kendall posted certainly appear to have been welded. The blemmed area appears to only be at the base of the blade. There also seems to be round crowns with a small hole in the middle which (in the pictures) sure looks like a weld puddle with out enough post flow shielding gas or in a TIG application can be caused by not easing off the amperage at the end of the weld. The reason I mentioned MIG welding is because if they were manufacturing them as welded propellers (which we've learned from Julie they are not) then I would hope they are using robotic mig machines for the volume of pieces they must produce which would be a better process than TIG. TIG would be used for repairs but not manufacturing typically.
Im not trying to instigate anything here. Ive always known Hydromotive to be very high quality and Im sure it was nothing more than what was stated in previous posts, a prop that got out by mistake.
The situation is being handled very professionally which is really what matters now.

Last edited by Tantrum; 07-13-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct Tantrum! There are times that we see props that we wish we had micro die grinders to fit in the tiny tight places to remove imperfections. This is the controversy of 7B props, they can be made but the question is can they be worked! Hydromotive will correct this mistake. There products are excellant, as is the entire staff of Hydromotive Engineering.

Julie