Registered

My Boats: 02 HUSTLER SLINGSHOT
Default Re: Speedboat magazine

yea, cool mag.
they have a fresh look about them.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Registered

I got mine at Tower Records of all places....
Old 07-18-2005, 10:36 AM
Registered

I wish I had saved the magazine in order to refer to the exact articles, but when you have a tech section that talks about blue printing a 23' baja, the editors have got to be out of their ****ing mind. How about that - is that the niche that needs to be filled Jassman.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Registered

My Boats: one ballsy Top Gun, a very fast Skater, one party Yellowfin....oh yeah, and two Boston Whalers

I got mine in the mail also. I liked the format, but many of the articles were reprints that I remember reading elsewhere...probably Boating Mag.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:51 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

My Boats: '99 Active Thunder Tantrum

Donz, I saw the same things.....Hmmmmmmmm......Then again I've seen articles in powerboat that the test driver was wearing a Hot Boat Mag. t-shirt
Old 07-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Registered

Got mine thu the mail too.
I really liked how they tested the boats with the same power.
However the props were all different
Nice rag, I'd buy a subscription!
Old 07-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Cigarette Top Gun w/ V6's and Maxum 3000 SCR

Not sure if that issue is a one time thing ( testing the waters perhaps ? ) or not . . there are no indicators in or on the magazine stating / verifying that its going to be a monthly publication.

Not a bad read though . . . the Viper automobile versus Viper powered boat article is from a year or two ago . .
Old 07-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Front
I wish I had saved the magazine in order to refer to the exact articles, but when you have a tech section that talks about blue printing a 23' baja, the editors have got to be out of their ****ing mind. How about that - is that the niche that needs to be filled Jassman.
Did you miss this also There was absolutely nothing in blueprinting a 23 Baja. And yes, there are quite a few people on this board that have smaller boats and some of the articles were geared as such, it was great reading with excellent comparisons from a few west coast boats. They also had pertinent info on the larger boats (which I like to read) in the 39' or larger size, such as 39-Cigs, 42-OL, Donzi's, Velocity's, all with descriptive pics, comparisons with the same power, price, speeds, effec., and overall dimensions. Lets see, they also talked about life Line Marine jackets, Arneson surface drives, Mercs comp of the 575 vs the new 600's. Illmors V-10, airstream technology that Baja has been working on, and the list goes on and on. The best part was to me, they didn't kiss each manufactures as* and explain what they thought could have been improved on each boat, thats what the public needs to know. Instead of being sugar coated as to when you go out and test drive these boats you are expecting more. I and just about everyone else on this thread got alot out of it, not bad for the first edition, no problem that you didn't, each to his own.

BTW I always get alot out of Teage on Tech
Old 07-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1989 Scarab Panther

Haven't seen it yet! I'll have to pick up a copy and check it out.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Registered

My Boats: 31 Scarab Thunder

I just picked up a copy.......love it!!!.........I really like the "by the numbers" efficiency tables they use from Boating Mag.........the 575/600 comparison crunches the hard data numbers but also give real world observations....... the tests actually say some bad things about the boats, talk about real world everyday things like cabin hieght and fordeck access, suggest ways the manufacturer could improve the boat and compare the boat to its direct competitors.........thought "The ABCs of Speed" was great......LOTS of really useful info in that articale for the average boater.......like me!!!.......not the usual "whats new at Teague Custom Marine" .........If the mag keeps going I will be definatly cancelling my subscription to Powerboat......................doug