Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What kind of Race do you prefer to watch >

What kind of Race do you prefer to watch

Notices
View Poll Results: Which would you rather watch?
A single race with all boats on the water at once.
21.05%
Multiple races with fewer boats and fewer classes.
78.95%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of Race do you prefer to watch

Old 07-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What kind of Race do you prefer to watch

Originally Posted by thedonz
very very but very well said this new era isn't real offshore hopefully one day it will be like it was in the 70's and 80's Miami to Nassau Miami to Key West

mike
Hey you guys are the Pollo Tropical racing team ? I saw you guys in Marathon but didn't say anything because I did not know that was you. I hate to start $hit because I know you guys work very hard out there to put out a hell of a race for us but I really think it's about time that someone runs a long distance race and really proves what those hulls can do in a long distance run. Safety would be of utmost concern in my view. Copters with rescue divers would be a must and speeds would probably be a lot less than they are today in the inshore races. I just want these manufacturers to prove that what they have can withstand the trials that we (even if it's just a few of us) would be dishing out. The Apache Offshore challenge is a fine example of what can happen in a Miami - Bimini situation. Say you go there in good weather.... Two days later you are coming back in bad weather... I want to know what my boat can do.. Given the driver is any good
Old 07-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gdfatha
IMHO...

It's been proven in many other classes of racing that fan interest lapses after 3 hours.

A shorter course with many boats is the most exciting. Who in the hell wants to sit/stand and wait 3-5 minutes to hear a VAROOOM and a 1 second glimpse of a boat no matter what class.

Small course & deck to deck racing will win fan appeal every time (not necessarily the drivers desire).

Dry pits and wet pits is where the fan REALY sees sponsors logos/decals and it's the sponsor who actually pays for the racing. AND its the return on investment that the sponsor lives for.

AND don't forget the checker flag parade ( correct or incorrect) as the races end. AS it now stands 99% of fans have NO idea who the hell won each class..

Without it is like sitting down BUT NOT EATING an Italian meal of salad, bread, regatoni and sausage, wine and dessert, then leaving the table empty.

Racers do it for the love of the sport and compeitition and the fan for the same.

Now what the hell was the question??

See ya in
You are right. My point is that not every race should be a long distance run but some should definitely be.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thedonz
very very but very well said this new era isn't real offshore hopefully one day it will be like it was in the 70's and 80's Miami to Nassau Miami to Key West

mike
By the way that boat of yours sounds / looks and runs awesome
Old 07-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allday Racing
Old 07-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
I prefer to watch the ones with no accidents!

Unfortunately that is the nature of the sport. That's kinda like watching Nascar and expecting no one to crash. It's gonna happen. No ifs ands or buts. But with all of the regulations in place and safety being of utmost concern, I think we could have some pretty safe offshore races that really prove what those boats can do. Isn't that the point anyway? I mean i know that a 42' Cigarette can run 100 + in 2 foot waves. Whoopty doo.. I want to see what happens when it faces 6+ on the Miami -Bimini stretch. Certainly not expecting those speeds but I would like to see what they can do.... As a buyer, and a guy that really "drives" his boats, I would just be curious....
Old 07-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gdfatha
IMHO...

It's been proven in many other classes of racing that fan interest lapses after 3 hours.

A shorter course with many boats is the most exciting. Who in the hell wants to sit/stand and wait 3-5 minutes to hear a VAROOOM and a 1 second glimpse of a boat no matter what class.

Small course & deck to deck racing will win fan appeal every time (not necessarily the drivers desire).

Dry pits and wet pits is where the fan REALY sees sponsors logos/decals and it's the sponsor who actually pays for the racing. AND its the return on investment that the sponsor lives for.

AND don't forget the checker flag parade ( correct or incorrect) as the races end. AS it now stands 99% of fans have NO idea who the hell won each class..

Without it is like sitting down BUT NOT EATING an Italian meal of salad, bread, regatoni and sausage, wine and dessert, then leaving the table empty.

Racers do it for the love of the sport and compeitition and the fan for the same.

Now what the hell was the question??

See ya in
Just curious if there is any documentation on the 3 hour rule that you are aware off? I am trying to find any recent demographic and/or fan behavior research performed on Offshore racing.

thx
Matt R
IMCO SVL
Old 07-15-2005, 07:46 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Matt

The figure of 3 hours is based on a study (unofficial) conducted with the Unlimited Hydroplane and F1/Champ boat audience polls.

Have you noticed that most movies are one hour thirty seven minutes?? AND.. The that the movie goers are always advised in advance that a film will last at least 3 hours.

Its not the cost of the film nor the family planning time but the most attentive attention span of us humans.

Just go to any race and watch the fans body language. Race start.. everyone up.. by the third lap and NO deck to deck or continuous action in front of the spectators-- The smokers start smokkin, the drinkers start drinkin (more) and backs are turned to the water.

Bottom line: Long courses are for the exhiliration of the drivers/crew... Short races are for the fans where the $$$$ gets involved with the sponsors and city....

/
Old 07-15-2005, 08:23 PM
JnT
Registered

I think a stock boat race would be very interesting from say Tampa to Key West or Key west to Miami. Production hulls with even power from class to class based on length. Let the manufacturers prove who is best in real water conditions. If the weather is calm so be it. If its rough like real offshore usually is that is fine too. First on raceday sells on Monday right?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:59 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Several races with fewer boats.....

It's easier to watch this way ,,,,I'm usually buzzed or half fried from the sun so this would be better
Old 07-15-2005, 10:09 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

More races gives the slower classes a chance to be in the spot light on their own and is also safer than having 100+mph boats running them down....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !