Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
SBI "One of the best kept secrets in racing"! >

SBI "One of the best kept secrets in racing"!

Notices

SBI "One of the best kept secrets in racing"!

Old 07-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SBI "One of the best kept secrets in racing"!

I was in Saint Clair Michigan last week and they are promoting the crap out of the offshore race that they will be having at the end of July. You cant go anywhere without seeing a sign or a program or a t shirt advertising the race. Way to go whoever is in charge of promotion of this race.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

You would think that whoever sponsored the Dania race would have wanted people to know the race was happening. Plus, press releases are free. You just need to send them out and do a little follow up. Possibly the Dania race didn't have a title sponsor. If so, who was it?

Fan's definitely add to the color of an offshore race and if this sport is ever to grow beyond where it is now, a fan base is the only thing that will propel it to the next level. Especially if they are all in bikinis.

I'll be in St Clair, I heard there will be a huge turnout from a fairly unpopulated area. Those are the types of places that APPRECIATE a race coming to thier town.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Registered

Without promotion - the people will not come.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:25 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain38SC
Without promotion - the people will not come.
And........

With two organizations........ The people will be confused.

T2x
Old 07-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Originally Posted by T2x
And........

With two organizations........ The people will be confused.

T2x
I doubt it.

Most people that watch an offshore race are casual observers. They just want to see some action on the water on a nice summer day. They barely know the class names, let alone the name of both sanctioning bodies.

Plus, ya can't confuse them unless they come.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Registered

I couldnt agree more Ron. The race in St. Clair is probably going to be the largest offshore race in the country this year baring a possible joint world championship that I dont think will happen.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
For example, This weekend in Fort Lauderdale there was a bicycle race.There was a small segment on it on almost news channel. If the news station is willing to do a small segment on a Bicycle race, I would assume a boat race would also be "news worthy". Any time there is any big event going on "especially free events" it's all over the radio and TV. We watched the race from the Marriott right on turn 1 and 2. The people at the hotel didn't even know about the race.
Very good point. I can't see the promoter want to come out of pocket for something he can't recoup, but letting news organizations going on doesn't cost anything. They are always looking for something local and colorful, both in print, and on the tv.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:25 PM
JnT
Registered

I have no preference for either sanctioning body. As a fan I go to any race close by if I'm off work.
I am already getting reminders from some of the local businesses in Orange Beach,AL for "Thunder on the Gulf" . The real estate company Brett Robinson sent a post card with race pics as well as sample rates.
There were billboards on I-10 before the storms this year announcing the race in August.
The race was SBI last time I went and OSS this year. The reminders via mail and email have been from local business that want me to come back and spend money. I will, and have a good time doing it.
Orange Beach wants the races and is a great venue as a fan.

I strongly believe Gary Nichols worked his a$$ off to promote and support this venue. Got the whole town fired up. Big thanks to him!!
Old 07-18-2005, 05:41 PM
JnT
Registered

The SBI race is the same weekend in Panama City as the OSS race in Orange Beach. I wish one would race Saturday and the other Sunday so I could see both. If the Emerald coast poker run could be like, Friday that would make for the ultimate weekend! Lets see, Destin for the poker run then Panama City for the SBI race, then back to Orange Beach for the OSS race. Wait! there is a poker run for the Orange Beach race.Maybe that could be Monday. Damn. Thats a LOT of raceboats and high performance pleasure boats within 2 hours of each other the same weekend. It would be phenomenal if they could all be in the SAME place!

Last edited by JnT; 07-18-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mark Mathews
Why would you make a statement like that when you know who is in charge of promotions?

Speak for yourself buddy, I have know idea who is doing the promotions.

Quick Reply: SBI "One of the best kept secrets in racing"!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.