Notices

Stern light

Old 07-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stern light

If you have a boat that was equipped with a pole mounted stern light can you replace it with a flush mount light on the transom.......and still be legal?
Old 07-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Re: Stern light

My boat has both. I use the pole for anchoring and the flush light when running. The pole kills your night vision when running. I've always assumed I am legal?

Last edited by Dave M; 07-18-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No!
That pole mounted light must be visable for 2 miles in ALL directions (for boats under 12 meters).
DS
Old 07-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Registered

here is another question, if you have a pole, do you need a stern light? Why would you be required to have both?
Old 07-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Registered

under 12 meters:
Powerboats-Separate or combination red and green sidelights, 112.5°, visible 1 n.m., placed above hull at least 1 meter (3.3') below masthead light. Masthead: white, 225°, visible 2 n.m., at least 1 meter above side lights. White stern light, 135°, visible 2 n.m. OR, one all-round (360°) white light (should also have sidelights).

12 to 20 meters:
Powerboats-Separate or combination red and green sidelights, 112.5°, visible 2 n.m., placed above hull at least 1 meter (3.3') below masthead light. Masthead: white, 225°, visible 3 n.m., at least 1 meter above side lights. White stern light, 135°, visible 2 n.m.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Registered

I have one of those removeable Perko deals which is pretty cool because I just put it on when needed.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by magnum27
here is another question, if you have a pole, do you need a stern light? Why would you be required to have both?
No you do not need a stern light if you have the pole. You can check all the rules about it on the coast guard web site.

The reason that you may need both is so that another vessel can determine what direction you are heading at night. With out the stern light you really would have no idea.

Jon
Old 07-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
My boat has both. I use the pole for anchoring and the flush light when running. The pole kills your night vision when running. I've always assumed I am legal?
You are NOT legal. You have to have a 360 degree light on the boat. They used to allow you to have a 180 on the stern and only the front half of the other light lit but I think that now you have to have them both light. I agree they do KILL your night vision and I took mine out and put in a pole light in the back and have never had a issue.

Jon
Old 07-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
You are NOT legal. You have to have a 360 degree light on the boat. They used to allow you to have a 180 on the stern and only the front half of the other light lit but I think that now you have to have them both light. I agree they do KILL your night vision and I took mine out and put in a pole light in the back and have never had a issue.

Jon
I guess I will have to use the pole then. I wonder why my boat has both? It's a '98, when did the rules change? I am RARELY out after dark anyway.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, I ask because the pole light does kill your night vision. I rigged mine up with electrical tape so only about a 1/4 inch is visible at the top on the front side and it is open on the rear. Just waiting to get caught.

Quick Reply: Stern light

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.