Like Tree0Likes

Florida Boaters: This is a MUST read....

Old 07-19-2005, 04:25 PM
Registered

My Boats: was a 89" Formula 311-SR1
Default Re: Florida Boaters: This is a MUST read....

I can't understand why it works for me and not for you guys. Yeah, I know that there is a third address, the one you posted, I just didn't want to write the friggin New York City phone booik. So anyone out there interested try any one of the three including the one Nick just posted:

www.cffw.org

The west coast chapter is:

[email protected]

Now there's four to choose from, and behind door #3 is....................
Old 07-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI

Russ,
I feel your frustration, ALTHOUGH, I'm beginning to see a little beam of light coming from OSO! Cig Daze, + Cuda, thanks for joining CFFW. You will get a monthly newsletter keeping you updated on what is the latest boater's rights/$MC/Gov't issues here in Fl.!!
What is really INCREDIBLE, is the fact that if you talk to any of the boat builders, they all do/say the same thing, NOTHING!!
I guess they make enough money of the rest of the USA, + World, that they don't need their customers in FL!
The $MC is FIGHTING for their livelyhood, and they will never let up!

Russ,
Please keep up the GREAT WORK you are doing, in starting the Fl. west Coast chapter of CFFW!
Dean
Old 07-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Registered

Like Dean already said, thanks Joe and Nick for joining.

Now as for the rest of you.................................JOIN........
Old 07-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Banned

Dean, how was the turnout last week?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2005, Baja, 302

Dean,
I thought you were in Ft. Walton Beach protecting us from all the bad guys?????????? Just a typical Gov. employee?????? I thought you were better than this???? Now that I have had a few shots @ Dean, the rest of you Florida boaters get on the wagon and join up. This is no joke and Dean is so right when he said the CLUB is fighting hard. If we sit back the state with the best boating in the country will have NO BOATING!!!!!
Just my 2 cents worth.
Dail
Old 07-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1996 Wellcraft Scarab Sport & 1990 Donzi GT210

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda
I just tried it again, keep getting "page cannot be displayed"

I'm talking about the .info link.
Same result!!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:00 PM
Registered

Guys I'm sorry that one link for some reason is not working for you. It works fine from my computer.

Try one of the other three listed. If you still have trouble call me at 941-544-1375.

Our first West Coast Chapter meeting is tomorrow night in Nokomis. Primarily an organizational/introductory meeting. Wish me luck.

Thanks again for those who have joined and the rest of you get on board. It's crucial. It's only twenty five bucks. This is the biggest fight we will face.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:03 AM
Registered

I just signed up, and so should every OSO member in Florida.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Registered

Thanks tiufb,

Would all you guys who have signed up either PM me or email me with your actual names so I can get hold of Sandy at the main club and be sure you are listed as West Coast Chapter members. Thanks.

[email protected]
Old 07-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI

Guys and gals,
Please try
www.cffw.org

Article in the Florida Today (Liberal local RAG)

County aims to improve boat access

Goals: Aid manatees, ease ramp traffic

BY JIM WAYMER
FLORIDA TODAY
Fun-seeking family. The Oloizia family of Kissimmee visits Lee Wenner Park in Cocoa to enjoy boating, swimming and fishing on Tuesday. Shown, from left, are Margie Oloizia, her grandson, Jacob, daughter-in-law Jennifer, and grandkids Jordan and Brian. Brevard County officials want to improve access and protect manatees. Tim Shortt, FLORIDA TODAY
Enlarge this image

Manatee protection plan
On July 29, Brevard County Commissioner Helen Voltz will conduct a forum to discuss marina siting, water access issues and manatee protection. Thirteen coastal counties have been invited.
When: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., July 29
Where: Imperial's Hotel Conference Center, 8298 North Wickham Road, Viera, just off of Interstate 95
For information, contact Jan Conrad at 952-6300, or [email protected]

Brevard marine-related businesses: 407
$754 million in yearly sales
7,382 jobs
$1.27 billion to $1.46 billion in property values
Boating accounts for 25 percent of manatee deaths and 180 acres of seagrass affected by prop scarring.
Adequately maintaining the waterways could increase marine-related sales in the county by $27 million annually.
-- Florida InlandNavigation District

If you own a boat, you might soon get a survey in the mail, asking where you launch from, where you go in your boat and how you get there.

Brevard County officials are considering spending up to $300,000 for a study of the county's boat traffic patterns. The survey would be part of it.

They would use the information to decide where to build new boat ramps, allow new marinas, and otherwise improve boating access without harming manatees, seagrass and other wildlife.

But as county officials look to improve access, environmentalists fear weakened manatee protection.

"They can't take a manatee protection plan and turn it into a boating access plan," said Sandra Clinger, a regional representative with the Save the Manatee Club, an environmental group.

"We're not at that level in Brevard County where we're seeing people having nowhere to store their boats," she said.

On July 29, Commissioner Helen Voltz will host a forum in Viera about improving boating access and manatee protection. Twelve other coastal counties have been invited: the counties that Florida forced in 1989 to create manatee protection plans.

Many of those counties are struggling to maintain public access to waterfronts where marinas are converting to private condos.

Plans blasted

Earlier this year, a Naples-based marina developer tried to convert Whitley Bay Marina -- Cocoa's only public-access marina -- into a members-only yacht club. The fight went all the way to the state Cabinet, which in March ruled the developers should keep 90 percent of the slips available to the public until current leases end.

But the case worried boaters statewide, who say too many marinas going private and manatee rules that limit the number of slips hamper any efforts to improve access.

"Water access has been ruined by a poor manatee protection plan," said Steven Webster, a Merritt Island boater and the executive director of the Florida Marine Contractor's Association, a trade group. "It does nothing to allow us to replace slips that have been eliminated by privatization."

Voltz's forum on July 29 includes a presentation by representatives of Florida SeaGrant's Boating and Waterway Management Program, which would conduct the boating traffic study for Brevard.

"The whole idea is to balance the use of the resource with its protection," said Robert Swett, an assistant professor at the University of Florida's department of fisheries and aquatic sciences and a researcher with the SeaGrant program.

He's conducting a similar study of Sarasota County.

"We're science-based, and we feel that decisions need to be based on scientific information," Swett said. "They'll have numbers they can work with. We're not here to tell the county what to do."

Study soon?

The study in Brevard could start as soon as the end of this year, if county commissioners approve it. They plan to seek state grants and money from the Florida Inland Navigation District to pay for it.

The SeaGrant researchers would survey boaters and visit ramps, marinas and other boat launching sites during peak tourist season. They would use that information to create maps that display the boat traffic patterns.

More information about where boats go could help improve manatee protection, said Clinger of Save the Manatee Club.

"If boats are moving in different ways than they did historically, it would give us an opportunity to look at where new threats to manatees are occurring," she said.

New formula

In January 2003, by a 3-2 vote, Brevard County commissioners approved a new formula for determining how many new boat slips should be allowed at new and existing marinas.

Under the plan, boat slips are limited on a case-by-case basis, based on four criteria:

the number of manatees spotted within five miles of the proposed slips;

the number of manatees killed by watercraft within five miles;

how much seagrass is in the area;

whether the area has a special designation as a state-protected waterway.

Any changes in Brevard or other county's manatee protection plans would require approval by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

'It's ridiculous'

As the county grows, Justin Sharp of Melbourne expects more boating restrictions and crowding at the ramps, not less.

"It's probably just going to end up worse," Sharp said.

He grew up in a Brevard, where the lagoon once was much more accessible to boats and personal watercraft.

"It's ridiculous," Sharp said of some of the manatee slow-speed zones, as he launched an 18-foot boat from the public ramp at at Pineda Causeway.

Some conditions at the public ramps and along the lagoon just don't make sense to Mike Troy, either.

"Every one of the channels are marked. They don't mark shoals real well," said Troy, 35, of Melbourne.

He battles crowded ramps every weekend he launches his 17-foot boat, like the time he showed up at 6 a.m. to Jorgensen's Landing in Grant and all the parking already was filled.

But even with the hassles, boating in the lagoon is worth it, Troy said.

"It's the most fun I've ever had," he said.

Contact Waymer at 242-3663 or [email protected]