Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Budgeting Annual Boat Expenses? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/108914-budgeting-annual-boat-expenses.html)

damdonzi 07-31-2005 03:21 PM

Re: Budgeting Annual Boat Expenses?

Originally Posted by TRICK
Forget the budget.

Just plan on staying broke.

And put Fred on your speed-dial. :drink:

GregP 07-31-2005 03:59 PM

For s semi serious answer, I usually go through 5-6k for annual maintenance and upgrades. Some years more, some less, depending on the whim of the boating gods. That doesn't include fuel or insurance.

I saw a guideline somewhere once that you should plan annual costs at 10% of price of the boat, which I think included payments. Oh yes, for a used boat the payments go down, but the maintenance is still about the same % of the cost of the equivalent new one since none of the part costs scale with age.

-Greg

The Menace 07-31-2005 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by GregP
I usually go through 5-6k for annual maintenance and upgrades. Some years more, some less, depending on the whim of the boating gods. That doesn't include fuel or insurance.
-Greg

Monthly ownership is usually the least expensive part of boating. It is the ancillary costs associated with operation that prove detrimental to your bank account: maintenance, storage, hauling, insurance, fuel and beer that get you. :rolleyes:

Macklin 07-31-2005 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by GregP
I saw a guideline somewhere once that you should plan annual costs at 10% of price of the boat, which I think included payments.
-Greg

That's about what I have spent the last few years. $100K (round numbers) boat......$10K to keep her dry stored, insured and running. Now that may change at a moments notice if I blow an outdrive or, knock on wood, engine.

And that does not include monthly payments, but if you keep her on a trailer in your yard that will offset those costs.

Donzi Corleone 07-31-2005 04:33 PM

Well, Let me put it this way. Buy the boat in late 2003 premium gas sells for 1.30 a gallon insurance is 3100.00. Now 2 years later gas is 2.49 and the insurance is 6400.00 over a 100% jump in expenses. So, there is no budget. Just have fun and hope nothing breaks (Yeah right).

ratman 07-31-2005 04:34 PM

go budget like i did. 22k for clean 1979 35ft cig on ebay. 3k to get it home
15k for n/a 577s for spares then 60k for a pair of 1000hp blower motors. then ins, gas, crap...i might not have enough coin left for beer n hookers.

Magic Medicine 07-31-2005 06:18 PM

B O A T

Break Out Another Thousand

Noun, a hole in the water surrounded by wood into which one pours money.
:evilb:

ratman 07-31-2005 09:21 PM

i cant wait to only have to buy gas and beer for a while...building the engines is what really hurts the wallet!

AMERICAN BAD A$$ 07-31-2005 09:27 PM

We usually spend around $1000 - $1100 per weekend , but that includes the room which is around $300 . Almost $200 per day in gas but thats running all day , which is what we're doing right now .

ratman 07-31-2005 09:38 PM

yo bada$$ that leaves 500 to 600 for drinks...i like your program :drink: :drink: :drink: RESPEKT