Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How high can you raise your drives? >

How high can you raise your drives?

Notices

How high can you raise your drives?

Old 08-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How high can you raise your drives?

Ok, I now understand about tweeking them for top speed, but what about the beaching scenerio? How high can I raise them and put them in gear with out hurting the universal joint?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should never beach a boat, they are made to float, not beach. Besides that it will scratch the bottom and that is not cool. Buy a dog anchor and screw it into the ground a few yards offshore. Save yourself a headache and your pocket book some money. TRS stuff is getting expensive and harder to find.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to run in gear at fast idle (say, 1000-1200 rpm) trimmed as far as you need in order to nose gently on or off the beach without any damage as long as you keep the steering pretty much straight ahead. At anything above fast idle in gear and turning, do NOT raise the drive far enough for the sides of the out-drive to clear the guide section of the gimble ring. You can check where that point would be while on the trailer and make a note of this position on your indicator. --- Jer
Old 08-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jpclear
You should be able to run in gear at fast idle (say, 1000-1200 rpm) trimmed as far as you need in order to nose gently on or off the beach without any damage as long as you keep the steering pretty much straight ahead. At anything above fast idle in gear and turning, do NOT raise the drive far enough for the sides of the out-drive to clear the guide section of the gimble ring. You can check where that point would be while on the trailer and make a note of this position on your indicator. --- Jer
Can you explain it in simpler terms, I don't really understand what you mean by "do NOT raise the drive far enough for the sides of the out-drive to clear the guide section of the gimble ring" Thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the boat out on the trailer and watch the drive while someone raises it from down position, you will probably see what I'm referring to. Otherwise, I will be pulling my rig this weekend for a trip to the islands and could take a pic. and post it. Oh, I forgot; I can't really help you that much without coughing up $50. Maybe we could discuss it on "the other site" where they don't make you pay to try to help fellow boaters. --- Jer