Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How to find fuel tank outlet plate? >

How to find fuel tank outlet plate?

Notices

How to find fuel tank outlet plate?

Old 08-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to find fuel tank outlet plate?

My boat does not have access plates in the floor to get to the fuel tank outlets. I'd like to put some in (so you don't have to remove the floor panels, console, and all the wiring/rigging to access them). Problem is I don't know "exactly" where they are.

The manufacturer has retired (1989 Scorpion) so I can't just call the factory and ask, and I've never seen a photo of the boat or a sister ship without the liner in. I know about where it has to be (dual tanks so one on each side near the back edge of the floor panel), but am wondering if there is any trick to find "exactly" where they are so I'm sure to be close enough if I cut a hole and install an access. The tanks are foamed in. I tried running my bore scope up through one of the unused rigging tubes that runs into the area where the tanks are but all I get is foam as far as I can reach (24").

Anyone know some sneaky way to figure out where the outlets on the tanks are at?

-Greg
Old 08-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: How to find fuel tank outlet plate?

There's only one way to accomplish this task properly. Start taking apart the cockpit & the cockpit sole(floor). Mark the locations for deckplates(inspection ports), cut out the holes & install them. For the record, all boat manufacturers have always been required by the United States Coast Guard to install fuel connection access plates, even in 1989. This goes for the the fuel fill hose connections at both the tank AND the deck fill, as well as both ends of the fuel vent line. Ed