Notices

Best Boating sunglasses???

Old 08-06-2005, 09:48 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Best Boating sunglasses???

My Maui Jims are a few years old now, I have been very happy with them. I tried all the tints they had at the time for several days each and liked the gray/smoked the best, they seemed to cut the glare the best. Sometime after they were well out of warranty I had a problem that seemed like delamination with the lenses. I called them up and returned them in the original but very beat up case. They sent them back to me looking like new with a new case free of charge. I was unhappy about having having problems with the lenses on a $300 pair of glasses, but they took care of it and I haven't had a problem since.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Best Boating sunglasses???

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
If you value your eyes...

MJ Volcano's

Jim
While driving ..Serengeti's give more contrast...standard issue for most pilots.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Best Boating sunglasses???

How about something with the Elvis look?
Attached Thumbnails Best Boating sunglasses???-elvis-specs-big.jpg  
Old 08-06-2005, 10:07 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
While driving ..Serengeti's give more contrast...standard issue for most pilots.
I thought we were talking boating here.. ?? I have SG's also, but I much prefer the MJ's for *all around*. I have light sensitive eyes, and wear contact lenses, and these are awesome. I'm not a pilot so cannot comment on the SG's at 40,000'. My optometrist is an avid fisherman, and he swears by MJ's. I have another friend who is a used car auction hound and he ONLY wears these at auctions, he can find metallic paint flaws hands down with these glasses, over anything he has worn for the past 30 years.... try 'em, youll see for yourself

JH
Old 08-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Registered

Have to agree with hydro been wearing Serengetis for years best ive found!!!!
Old 08-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Registered

That "Aviator" style will get whipped off your face quicker'n sh:t, if you turn your head aft.
Need the Ray-Ban style ear-hooks, if you go with the Aviator style.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Registered

I don't think there's a better lens on the Planet than Maui Jim. . .
I actually found a pair on the beach in St. Thomas. These ones had the ugliest plastic frames you could imagine. I put em on during the boat ride to Tortola. . . holy God almighty - what a difference from any other sunglass I ever wore ( generally I wear Ray-Ban's and still love em ), I could see the see floor in 100' of water. Switched to the Ray-Ban's just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. No comparison.

The ONLY drawback is they are $spendy$ . . . .

Spy's are pretty wicked good at cutting the glare ( smoke lens ), and stay on your face. Deflecting the wind, real good at 80+ . . .

They run about $75. . . . if you do lose em, it's not the end of your day. . . . may even float. If not they would sink slowly.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Boat US or West Marine: get them on sale for $10.99. By a bunch and keep them on the boat. Your passengers will be happy too. Best investment yet, and when they go overboard, who cares>>>>>>>>
Old 08-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Registered

Don't mean to burst your bubble, I was in the sunglass business for a long time and worked for Corning Glass when they introduced the Serengetti. Nice glasses but they are just amber lenses that cut out bluish colors, really nothing more than the blue blockers you see on TV. An amber colored lenses does eliminate certain colors and contrast will be greater, I have bought the same type of lense from the dollar store They are great driving lenses, hense some companies tout them as such, because they are comfortable in both bright light as well as low light. It is easy to find a lense for bright light, but inbetween light and glare can be worse to deal with. if my memory serves me correct Serengetti lenses are photo sensative as well, so if the sun shines they darken and then the contrast goes down, plus any changing lense is effected by alltitude and temparture, we ski so in the altitude and cold the lens becomes a consant dark brown.

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 08-06-2005 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Registered

Mj's all the way. Best I have ever owned!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Best Boating sunglasses???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.