What makes a boat porpose? >

What makes a boat porpose?

Notices

What makes a boat porpose?

Old 08-11-2005, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What makes a boat porpose?

Just wondering if anybody else has spaced the drive down to lower X dimesion and eliminate porposing???
Old 08-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Registered

Certainly my Fountain (single step 32) is sensitive to drive trim -- trim up and it porpoises in mid range speed. I generally need a fair amount of tabs down in the mid ranges to suppress porpoising.

Therefore, I would agree that adding spacers to the drive may decrease porpoising.

But get mechanical tab position indicators. You will be forever frustrated without them.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Registered

Re: What makes a boat porpose?

Hey RUSS if you want to try adding weight, let me know. Lisa and I could lay up front while your driving. No seriously just put the tabs down a little or get some info on driving schools, if i remember it didn't porpose for me!(ha ha ) who loves ya, and I threw that mini t race i didn,t want you to get discouraged
Old 09-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Registered

I know this will sound stupid, but I have solved this problem with a Whale tail. You can usually plane with 10 mph less speed and at top end it's out of the way. Hey they are cheap too!
Tom Earhart
Old 09-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just thinking - worst possible combination is a prop that sucks down the stern (bow lifting) so much it causes the hull to be unstable (porpoises easily) that it has to be corrected by stern lifting trim tabs which induce drag and cut both efficiency and speed!

Maybe that is the second worse combo -worst being a setup that can't/barely will come on plane!!![/QUOTE]
This is the problem I think I have with my Checkmate Ambassadore. It has some sort of 3 blade cupped 24" pitch prop that I believe is a bow lifting prop, but I think the hull already has suffecient bow lift on it's own so I am having to fight it to keep the bow down. I would like to try a Hydromotive, but those things are'nt cheap.