Notices

couple weeks ago on LOTO

Old 08-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: couple weeks ago on LOTO

I know when they put the docks in at millers landing they dropped big drums of concrete in with them about 50 yards from the docks.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
weighting the dock, however the method, is good way to keep the strain down on your dock...

in the rough water ( main channel ) several years ago the dock builders were putting the concrete barrels and tie downs with cables out in frt of the docks trico was one of the first. they have from what i understand abandon the idea as the wave action was actually pulling the cables so hard that they were tearing the frame work of the dock up, doing more damage to the docks then to just let them float. its hard to adjust the cable for such varying condition. if you leave it loose for the worst waves then its like a dogg on a leash that run out of rope ( one hell of a jerk ) and if to tight pulls the dock under water, then add in the fluctuation of the water level of the lake changing and you begin to see the problem. Of course this all pertains to the main channel and a few large coves are arms. most off channel coves although may be rough but nothing like the channel on a Saturday afternoon 4TH of july. or most Saturdays in the summer.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SinkorSwim
Hey guys luckily I am in a quiet cove... but for reference...

What in the crap do you do in that situation? Was the boat full of water? Was it still being held by the lift?

Thanks SoS
in that paticular situation to lower the lift would have sunk the boat as it was already taking on water, so they tied ropes to the bow and another boat and pulled it as far forward as they could on the hoist which leveled the boat enough to pump the water out to allow it to float, and then towed it out of there and it hasnt been back since.

several years ago when the guy bought the boat new he was having a hard time getting the boat in his slip 10FT slip and a over 9 frt wide beam not much room in the rough. i watched the guy from my deck for about 20 -30 minute and decided that i would walk over and see if i could help him and his wife,
after some unneighborly remarks i said i can see you have it under control and walked back to my deck and popped a beer and was entertained for the next few hours. So when i pulled in from a day of boating i could see that they had it under control and docked my boat and popped a beer and was entertained for an hour are so.

later
Old 08-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by later
in the rough water ( main channel ) several years ago the dock builders were putting the concrete barrels and tie downs with cables out in frt of the docks trico was one of the first. they have from what i understand abandon the idea as the wave action was actually pulling the cables so hard that they were tearing the frame work of the dock up, doing more damage to the docks then to just let them float. its hard to adjust the cable for such varying condition. if you leave it loose for the worst waves then its like a dogg on a leash that run out of rope ( one hell of a jerk ) and if to tight pulls the dock under water, then add in the fluctuation of the water level of the lake changing and you begin to see the problem. Of course this all pertains to the main channel and a few large coves are arms. most off channel coves although may be rough but nothing like the channel on a Saturday afternoon 4TH of july. or most Saturdays in the summer.
They still use that technique on the bigger docks around the condos etc. I am building all the way at the end of the cove at the 4MM, about a mile off the main channel. Went there over July 4 and there wasn't even a ripple at 2pm on Saturday or Sunday. Way better than where I left. I'm still putting in a 15K Poly though. Never had a problem with my old one so I'm sticking with them.

Last edited by Mentalpause; 08-09-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jesse James
it was my understanding that the weighted barrels never touched bottom they just hung suspended about 15 feet down?
i have seen that done years ago to act as a shock absorber effect as trying to pull the barrel through the water slowing the movement of the upward motion but because the water in the barrels basically have a nutural bouyance with the water around it as the barrel would rise through the water it didnt sink at the same rate as the dock and cables attaching barrels and are not as effective in the extreme rough waters. much more effective in a cove that gets moderate waves that are rolling in from the main channel but not in the chnnel.

later

ps
which house have you bought back up in the arrow head cove i was looking at a house couple years ago that was started and ran out of funds and sat unfinished for years. was past the marine on your rgt kind of on that point that looks at the condos.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:16 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jesse James
the barrels i had seen were filled with concrete? they should have no buoyancy problems i would think...same theroy as weight belts when scuba diving........

I bought the one in the cove with broken arrow (i assume thats what you meant) It is about 10 docks back from the monopoly and speed racer boat........if you go around the cove to the left past broken arrow heading towards Port Royale condo's after you pass the last custom dock for broken arrow you should be able to look over and see a home on the point with a pool and an american flag...I am the second home to the right of him......I have a vacant lot on both sides of me (I guess nobody likes me) and the seawall is all versa lock retaining wall......there may still be some scaffolding up from the stucco work......there are two staircases leading down from the deck and a big sunburst in the middle....I will try to find a pic....
are the empty lots for sale? is that porta cima?