Advice appreciated, new purchase

Notices

Advice appreciated, new purchase

Old 08-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Advice appreciated, new purchase

Go with twins, when i lost my left nut recently, and thankfully not my prop, i got back to the dock with one engine.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Advice appreciated, new purchase

Go with twins,33 to 35 ft. minimum. The ride will be great, good freeboard. Look at the 1980's Cigarette Mistress or Cafe. They will be in your price range.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to stay in the 30' range..Buy a Bullet....Cig built them there to run there !
Old 08-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
I would definately go with twinns. If you break down, you can always get home. If you break down out in the ocean with a single engine....that will probably be the last time the wife will go on the boat
That is a very good point!
Old 08-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rastaboatin
just my .02
best advice yet
Old 08-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Registered

Living in Miami Design district, office on Miami Beach, looking forward to spending more time on the water!

Originally Posted by thedonz
FIRST THING IS WELCOME TO THE POWERBOAT CITY OF THE WORLD WHERE IT ALL STARTED WHAT PART OF TOWN ARE YA LIVING IN ? I WOULD GO WITH TWINS IN OUR NECK OF THE WOODS AND I WOULD CHECK OUT IN THAT SIZE RANGE EITHER THE 28 PANTERA OR A 33 POWER PLAY <<<< ( ) THOSE ARE BAD BOY BOATS AND THAT PRICE RANGE . ONCE AGAON WELCOME TO MIAMI HOPE TO MEET UP ONE DAY .

MIKE DONZ JR
Old 08-14-2005, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
Don't get caught up in all that talk about needing twins to get back. With our type of boating, we are never out of cellphone range to call Seatow, or Tow Boat Us. A year's subscription to a tow company costs much less than maintenence and feeding of a second engine.

There are other reasons to have a twin, but getting home isn't a good reason.

Btw, I'd vote for a 28 Pantera with a big single.
Great point Cuda. But if the wallet allows I also vote for twins. But as you suggest, there may be other priorities, so maybe when you target your top price twins are not in the cards...
Old 08-16-2005, 12:48 AM
Registered

I own a '02 292 Formula with twin 6.2's - 640 total HP stock. I would highly recommend this boat to anyone. I looked at Fountain and Formula @ NYC boat show. The boats were 100' apart. Fountain is a sleaker looking boat due to the front forward nose. However, the cockpit of the Formula was far superior ( room ). The cuddy seemed huge to my wife and me compaired to the Fountain. I highly stress the twin engines as you can always limp home on one engine. Most importantly, we run one of the Finger Lakes in NY and had a poker run in June. Swells of 4'. This boat of mine ran 74 GPS and the ride was incredible. Drive one you'll buy it!! Good luck!

Last edited by goldenruhl; 08-16-2005 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by goldenruhl
I own a '02 292 Formula with twin 6.2's - 640 total HP stock. I would highly recommend this boat to anyone. I looked at Fountain and Formula @ NYC boat show. The boats were 100' apart. Fountain is a sleaker looking boat due to the front forward nose. However, the cockpit of the Formula was far superior ( room ). The cuddy seemed huge to my wife and me compaired to the Fountain. I highly stress the twin engines as you can always limp home on one engine. Most importantly, we run one of the Finger Lakes in NY and had a poker run in June. Swells of 4'. This boat of mine ran 74 GPS and the ride was incredible. Drive one you'll buy it!! Good luck!
Thank you. I will drive one and see.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by goldenruhl
I fell in love with the 292 at the Miami Boat Show in '03. I wanted one bad, then I ran across the deal on my 302 that I could pay cash for. Great looking boat, and just the right size.