Notices

Rough water driving

Old 08-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rough water driving

Originally Posted by jeffball
Hey thanks for all the pointers....I guess all I need to do know is twist off work for a few days and take off...lanyard in one hand, gas card in the other!
Sorry to hijack you thread there jeff welcome and don't forget your lifejacket!
Old 08-18-2005, 12:17 AM
Registered

All of that info helps a lot...thanks guys. On a side note, how is that boat expected to stand up structurally? Typical days being 2'-3' chop (sometimes a little more) and newby driver starting to get comfortable with having the prop out of the water....wow, njgr8ful was right, I think I may be well on my way to a new boat...my GF is gonna kill me!
These things are addictive aren't they? I thought it took a while to ick up on the bigger boat syndrome
Old 08-18-2005, 01:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....wow, njgr8ful was right, I think I may be well on my way to a new boat...my GF is gonna kill me!
If you do it right they love it. Moderately rough water and a little bit of speed gets them every time. My gf loves going fast.

Originally Posted by Ron P
One last point. It's all about keeping the boat/props in the water. If you want to go fast, the boat must stay level and in contact with the water as much as possibly. If you fly, you loose.
That is WHERE I am talking about. My boat stays flat and level on the water when I run, but I wanna know if I am doing it right. I pull back when the props come out, but when I re-enter the water it feels lke the back of the boat is dragging. I have always assumed that this was better than having the props hammer on re-entry.

I am running outboards if that is of any assistance, but it seems to me throttling should be fairly universal.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:25 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IDRPSTF
Ron P, You hit all the important points in one post!
Most guys I know that are great on the sticks, learned to run at night. Something to be said for throttleing by feal.

The question is do you remember the phrase as to why you learn the most from running at night?

It's because it's one of the only times that you are at one with your boat!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2005, 06:40 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

I have never run a boat at night.Maybe I should just try closing my eyes. Would that be the same?

Hey there Sean
Old 08-18-2005, 06:42 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Ron P
One last point. It's all about keeping the boat/props in the water. If you want to go fast, the boat must stay level and in contact with the water as much as possibly. If you fly, you loose. In racing, flying isn't cool. If you are not level in flight and land stern first it can cause a stuff or at least slow you down a lot.

Also, you want the boat to remain level side to side. You want to make 1/4 turns on the wheel in the opposite direction of the lean. As your going straight the boat might chine walk a bit or just go back and forth with the waves. Counter steer, so if it leans right, turn a 1/4 turn left to bring it back to level. That's why it takes two people to run a race boat. It's too much for one person to do at speed properly.
I think I see an article in EBM about Extreme Driving in the near future.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:58 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Hey Mark.......use of a blind fold would have the same effect but the water patrol might have a different opinion if they saw you running around blind folded How are you by the way?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

These things are addictive aren't they? I thought it took a while to ick up on the bigger boat syndrome
Yes they are! Sounds like you have already got it figured out if you are running a 22' boat at those speeds in that much water. I ran two Bajas, 232 & 272, in coastal waters without any real problems. Except I did have a windshield explode in my face. It was necessary to go to the chiropractor on a regular basis though. That's why I moved up to my 340. Still want bigger though.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Running a small boat in the rough can be a blast! Yes you will get beat up a little, especially in the washing machine chop, but the exhiliration is awesome! My little boat keeps the prop in the water pretty well in the washing machine chop, but obviously not in the rollers. Just take your time and get used to the boat. Once you get comfortable you should be constantly reading the water and looking ahead for what is coming. Ron P gave some great advice.

One thing about small boats is to watch for the bigger boat wakes to the side. But once you you learn how your boat takes them they can be fun!!!

http://media.putfile.com/Torch-drive-by-81405-small
Old 08-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Payton
I think I see an article in EBM about Extreme Driving in the near future.
It's half written but the focus is on why Step bottoms react differently than conventional vee hulls. Maybe I'll add some of this stuff too.

Quick Reply: Rough water driving

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.