Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boaters Feeling the Pinch of High Gasoline Prices (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/110453-boaters-feeling-pinch-high-gasoline-prices.html)

CAP071 08-18-2005 05:09 PM

Boaters Feeling the Pinch of High Gasoline Prices

http://kywnewsradio.com/news_story_d...wsitemid=48686

Boaters Feeling the Pinch of High Gasoline Prices

by KYW's Paul Kurtz
Motorists aren't the only ones suffering from high gasoline prices these days. Boating enthusiasts are having trouble paying for their pleasure outings, too.

Boat traffic has been going down all summer as gas prices have gone up. They're now in the $3 range -- about 40 cents more than what motorists pay.

Don Zeuner lives on a gas-powered yacht and says pleasure boating isn't what it used to be:

"They're just motel rooms now. That's about all they use them for. If they take them to Maryland, they leave 'em in their slip. They drive to Maryland and stay on the boat. Some of the guys have a smaller boat just so they can go out. They can't afford to go out on the bigger boat."

As gasoline prices rise, the government has been reluctant to speak out. But KYW special contributor Larry Kane reports that there is a precedent.

In the early '60s, President Kennedy -- fearful of horrible inflation -- took on the steel industry, pressuring steel leaders to lower prices. Similar moves were taken by other presidents with commercial aviation and other industries.

In the current march to higher inflation fueled by oil and gasoline prices, there has been tepid reaction from the Energy and Treasury Departments, and no sense of outrage by the government to the oil-producing nations -- who have the power to ease the economic burden on the world.

Political persuasion is part of the economic game, but so far it's been missing.

Unless there are some high-octane political discussions with the oil-producing nations, we'll have to wait for the next OPEC meeting in a month before possible relief.

By that time, the damage could be more serious.

Semper Fi 08-18-2005 05:31 PM

Re: Boaters Feeling the Pinch of High Gasoline Prices

Funny how the oil companies say the price is going up and there's nothing they can do about it. Then you see their quaterly profits went through the roof. :mad:

CAP071 08-18-2005 05:40 PM

So True So True. :mad: Hey it just so happens our President is an Oil man. I wonder if that is just a coincidence? :rolleyes:

florida gator 08-18-2005 08:17 PM

You nshould be able to buy fuel from the marinas without all the taxes.

Donzi Corleone 08-18-2005 08:48 PM

Its getting so bad, Im just about threw with boating.........The gas the insurance its not worth it anymore...If my boat sells, I wont be hell bent on another one until someone decides to get the price back down to earth.....The fuel was 1.30 for premium when I bought it in 2004. Now , with insurance and God knows these thing break and need TLC, WTF Im a nervous wreck to take it out.

Donzi Corleone 08-18-2005 08:51 PM

Was gonna do the OPBA poker run in Sarasota, but with gas gonna be at 3.00 by then and the hotel and the entry fee, Its gonna take all of a grand for the weekend. Not me, Im tapped with this present economy.

mwdill 08-18-2005 08:56 PM

im pretty sure im not getting a twin engine boat for a while , at least untill the prices chill out.

MnHowardCat 08-18-2005 09:27 PM

Jest filled up well I stopped at $500 $2.82 for 92 octane

Steve Zuckerman 08-18-2005 09:32 PM

Wow,
With these high prices and 0 reaction from our beloved federal government, you'd think there's 2 Texas oilmen in the Whitehouse :rolleyes: :( :mad: ...............while their constituents (the oil companies) are getting fat and sassy, we're getting bled dry.
We need some serious consumer/voter outrage guys, or we are really going to get it up the ass :mad: ! I just paid my BP/Amoco bill for July and it was $1000. I looked back at my '04 bill and it was $550. Something is wrong with the picture when your fuel bill exceeds your boat payment :eek: !
Looks like my plans for a 35' twin engine rig are on indefinite hold. This has to be hurting the overall economy as well.
Regards,
Steve

gsmith9898 08-18-2005 09:33 PM

until the president is out of office, oil will stay at all time highs. When the next president gets in there ( Republican or democrat) than oil will come back down and they will find another way to make their friends richer.

mopower 08-18-2005 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I retired last February...just in time for this bull$hit with 1/3 third the income I used to have :mad: . Been doin' a lot more floatin and less boatin' this season.
Instead of running down to the Chesapeake , I'll trailer part way , after all the old PSD @14 mph towing is better that 2 540s @ 1.1 mph :rolleyes:

Bastages

LaughingCat 08-18-2005 09:40 PM

Did this chat just go Liberal? Or are the Moderates finally showing their faces again? Last year, none of this mattered even though all indicators pointed to oil prices rising significantly if we didn't get out of Iraq. Are there no Bush-lovers left who are unable to afford their boating pleasure but still glad oil prices are high because of this war?

mopower 08-18-2005 09:50 PM

[QUOTE= Are there no Bush-lovers left who are unable to afford their boating pleasure but still glad oil prices are high because of this war?[/QUOTE]

I like bush but not the one in the White House. Don't blame me ...I didn't vote for him. But those of us who opposed GWB on here last year before the election got their heads bit off :rolleyes:
I honestly believe the FULL effect on the economy has yet to be felt , and it won't be good :(

MarkSmith 08-18-2005 09:52 PM

Nice!!!

mopower 08-18-2005 09:55 PM

Actually I think I used the wrong word...it wasn't election , it should
have been eRection , because we're all gettin a good phuquen :eek:

Just my $.01............the rest went for gas :p

KAAMA 08-19-2005 05:18 AM

I don't really know what is going on with the Iraqi oil situation, but I kinda thought that by helping the Iraqi people that it would free/open up the oil markets for their country, and that there would be more of a supply. They seem to have a very large quantity of oil----it would help them, and it would help us. AND by helping their people, that we would be able to buy their oil at a very reasonable cost. Actually, it would be nice if the war bill was funded by some of the Iraqi oil vs American tax payers. However, I don't know what the oil situation is between Iraq, and the USA. And I don't seem to hear much said about it by our President or the news. I'd really like to know the facts on this.

Indy 08-19-2005 07:04 AM

It doesn't matter how much they pump out of the ground, if it can't be refined, it's worthless, our refineries are at max capacity now.

How come the idiots on Wall street never get a part of the blame, at the slightest worry, they start trading at higher prices and we pay at the pump :confused:

Dano 08-19-2005 07:06 AM

The cost of oil currently has nothing to do with Iraqi oil supplies. Look south young grasshoppers, Chavez has a lot more to do with it than Bin Laden or any other marginal towelhead playa'.

Now that the birds back to the roost perhaps some of our previously vocal pro-neocon supportors will see the potential benefit of a more logical moderate approach to world affairs.

Just wait kids......Tis the time to find a "new" enemy...big oil (but only the Arabs of course) as the Iraqi thang and the Bin Laden thang out workin' out so well in testosteroneland.

gotime34 08-19-2005 07:52 AM

I don't even know what to say, I paid $3.00 for 89 octane on the water the other day. The problem is there is really nothing I can do about. I had friends on the boat and its not like I'm gonna turn around and go home, and how am I going to stop gas prices from going up? It sucks because it pisses me off so bad, I mean I have credit cards that are maxed out from buying gas this past month. Its ridiculous, I just wish there was something I could do about it, its so frustrating.

baja27 08-19-2005 08:18 AM

Hey guys think of the positive. Higher prices mean you don't use your boat that much. So in return you are saving money on repairs, drives & motors freshing. Also now you have more time on your hands, less cleaning the boat. What more can you ask for. :drink:

Milord 08-19-2005 08:36 AM

I just read an article that said the people in Iraq are paying $0.05 / gallon for gas. :mad:

BDiggity 08-19-2005 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Milord
I just read an article that said the people in Iraq are paying $0.05 / gallon for gas. :mad:

Hmm, at $0.05/G, it only costs them about $1 to fill the tank up & go blow some people up. Pretty economical....

This may be a dumb question, if everyone says its because we do not have enough refineries, it there a law or an act preventing new refineries being built? I figure if u built one in this day & age, it would probably be more advanced, leading to better efficiencies & less pollutants.

gsmith9898 08-19-2005 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Indy
It doesn't matter how much they pump out of the ground, if it can't be refined, it's worthless, our refineries are at max capacity now.

How come the idiots on Wall street never get a part of the blame, at the slightest worry, they start trading at higher prices and we pay at the pump :confused:

if you believe in supply and demand controls prices than if refineries were at capacity and producing as fast and all they could than crude oil would be backing up in the harbors because they could not refine it fast enough causing excess oil which would drive price of crude down. that is not happeneing because this admin in the white house is from the oil industry. It is not rocket science. When they leave office and the next crook gets in than the price of oil and gas will come down. Till than , HOLD ON.

BLee 08-19-2005 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Indy

I normally don't add to these discussions because no one seems to want to know the real answers. I will say that every once in awhile one of you guys are on the right track, and this time it's Indy.

Anyone that thinks Bush has anything to do with how much OPEC decides to raise or lower Oil Production needs to do alot more homework. John Kerry couldn't have told the Arabs what to do and neither can the Bush administration. The only difference is that the Saudi's won't laugh in Bush's face like they would Kerry's. :D

LIOPA 08-19-2005 09:51 AM

WTF.......If thats true ....we need to end the war or win it!

In with the NUKES out with the FREE OIL :D

Although I do think BUSH and his OIL BUDDIES are making one final pocket filling run before he exits the GRAND STAGE :mad:

gsmith9898 08-19-2005 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=TwinStepGun]I normally don't add to these discussions because no one seems to want to know the real answers. I will say that every once in awhile one of you guys are on the right track, and this time it's Indy.

Anyone that thinks Bush has anything to do with how much OPEC decides to raise or lower Oil Production needs to do alot more homework. John Kerry couldn't have told the Arabs what to do and neither can the Bush administration. The only difference is that the Saudi's won't laugh in Bush's face like they would Kerry's. :D[/QUO oil is at $66 a barrell. I don't think the saudis are looking at the front of the americans faces. I think it is more of the back of head while they stick it in our a-- !!!

Milord 08-19-2005 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
I normally don't add to these discussions because no one seems to want to know the real answers. I will say that every once in awhile one of you guys are on the right track, and this time it's Indy.

Anyone that thinks Bush has anything to do with how much OPEC decides to raise or lower Oil Production needs to do alot more homework. John Kerry couldn't have told the Arabs what to do and neither can the Bush administration. The only difference is that the Saudi's won't laugh in Bush's face like they would Kerry's. :D

Brandon, I for one would love to know the truth. What is going on and why and will it end or are crazy gas prices here to stay?

BLee 08-19-2005 10:56 AM

Brandon, I for one would love to know the truth. What is going on and why and will it end or are crazy gas prices here to stay?

Like I said earlier every once in awhile someone gets on the right track. This Larry guy pretty much hit it on the head the other day:

Originally Posted by ljsmith1
The problem boils down to a few fundamental issues:

1. Refining capacity in the US is at 95%. No new refineries built in the last 10 years.

2. Speculation in the market is driving crude prices up artificially. War in Iraq, hurricanes in the Gulf, or other "it might happen" scenarios.

3. Demand is at an all time high - GLOBALLY. China's insatiable appetite for energy, along with the US and Europe are consuming crude faster than it can be pumped out of the ground. Look at Saudi Arabia.....they are at about 90% of capacity.

This issue has very little to do with Bush or any single politician. No matter who's in office, the problem will still get worse. The only real solution is to lessen our demand on oil. Easier said than done....

-Larry

There are a few other issues that involve the trading market that factor in to the prices, but theses points are part of the main cause.

I have no idea when it will end. If a hurricane forms, a terrorist blows up a pipeline, etc...... they will go higher. Oh, and guess what else, Winter is coming. Prices go up when it's cold.

miamioffshore 08-19-2005 11:14 AM

Both sides deserve some of the blame:

-Actually there have been no new refineries built in America since the 70's, the Carter Administrations EPA set the pollution standards so high for any new refineries that it was not economically feasible for anyone to build new. I new refinery has been approved on the Arizone/California border but that will be years before it comes online.

-Clinton gave China the "most favored nation trading status" in the late 90's, this has done wonders for their economy and as a result they are in an ongoing oil chugging contest with India. We need to remove this most favored nation trading status, doing so will slow their economy and oil consumption and as a result improve our own national security.

-True I haven't heard Bush say a damn thing about gas prices and he needs to get out their and use his bully pulpit, why he hasn't I dont know, but I'm pissed.

-About $10 of every barrel of oil is speculation built in by Wall street

- As far as oil companies posting record profits, thats just basic numbers, regardless of what you invest you want a certain % return, thus if oil costs more to buy and refine then you'll still have to charge the same margin because you have goals to meet and you've put down more money to do it. If you lower your profit margins then your shareholders will call for your head and you loose your job, sorry but thats the way it works.

Imagine you were making 10% on your $500 million investment, now to make that same 10% you have to spend $1 Billion because oil has doubled but you're still cranking out the same amount of gas. You'd still want to make that 10% because you've doubled the costs out of your pocket. The bottom line 10% of a billion is twice that of $500 milliion and theres your "record profits" when in fact the profit margin is the same.

As for short term solutions, lets push for a temporary elimination or reduction of fuel taxes, we could afford it if we didn't waste money on so much other Sh*t.

Milord 08-19-2005 11:15 AM

Thanks for the insight. So if the US bombs India and China our prices go back down? :D

NickOTeen 08-19-2005 11:35 AM

My dad manages a 30 inch crude pipeline that runs from Freeport to Cushing, OK, and he's got ships lining up in the Gulf waiting to be unloaded. There is TOO MUCH oil and they can't find enough places to put it.

The refineries can't keep up.......

Beak Boater 08-19-2005 11:53 AM

While politics, stock market speculation, supply and demand all have an effect on the end result of pricing, the part that I find personally hard to take is the .50 to .60 cents a gallon road tax that everyone pays at the pump at a marina. If you go by AV gas at an airport, if they will sell it to you, either pumped straight into a boat or a container, they are very cautious because they can be fined if it is used on the highway. The diesel at the marinas, is the same diesel used for farm, and for construction implements, dyed red so it can be detected if used in a highway vehicle, why cheaper, no road tax. Again big fines if used on the highway...and caught. If you have a large non trailer-able boat you have to by gas in a marina, no option to put it on the trailer and go save a few dollars. Think of the thousands of gallons pumped into boats every weekend, and the extra cost we pay as consumers, for boats to make our highways better.

Steve_H 08-19-2005 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
While politics, stock market speculation, supply and demand all have an effect on the end result of pricing, the part that I find personally hard to take is the .50 to .60 cents a gallon road tax that everyone pays at the pump at a marina. If you go by AV gas at an airport, if they will sell it to you, either pumped straight into a boat or a container, they are very cautious because they can be fined if it is used on the highway. The diesel at the marinas, is the same diesel used for farm, and for construction implements, dyed red so it can be detected if used in a highway vehicle, why cheaper, no road tax. Again big fines if used on the highway...and caught. If you have a large non trailer-able boat you have to by gas in a marina, no option to put it on the trailer and go save a few dollars. Think of the thousands of gallons pumped into boats every weekend, and the extra cost we pay as consumers, for boats to make our highways better.

some states will give you a refund for road tax if you fill out the forms and keep all your receipts. i do it every year here in Missouri.

http://www.dor.mo.gov/tax/business/fuel/forms/

gsmith9898 08-19-2005 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by NickOTeen
My dad manages a 30 inch crude pipeline that runs from Freeport to Cushing, OK, and he's got ships lining up in the Gulf waiting to be unloaded. There is TOO MUCH oil and they can't find enough places to put it.

The refineries can't keep up.......

if oil is backing up and the world has too much crude than supply and demand would make crude very cheap.

gsmith9898 08-19-2005 02:55 PM

the president is buying all the crude he can now for the reserves. 300,000 barrells this month. why would you buy oil at the highest price in history and take more oil from the market driving the cost higher? Unless you were actually paying the highest price in history to companys that are your friends using americans money.

Dean Ferry 08-19-2005 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
the president is buying all the crude he can now for the reserves. 300,000 barrells this month. why would you buy oil at the highest price in history and take more oil from the market driving the cost higher? Unless you were actually paying the highest price in history to companys that are your friends using americans money.

gs,
Curiousity here, what kind of boat do you have? I checked your profile and it doesn't say?
Thanks,
Dean

LIOPA 08-19-2005 03:10 PM

if oil is backing up and the world has too much crude than supply and demand would make crude very cheap.

BINGO !

All these theories but it all comes down to what GSMITH said.......say all you want but it makes zero sense to the public and MEGA CENTS $$$$ for the oil companies and OPEC.....which I thought had certain restrictions on pricing abuse. How come Mr. Bush and our government are doing and saying absolutely nothing or at least telling the American people WHY this is going on and nothing can be done. It just makes no sense at all.

gsmith9898 08-19-2005 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
gs,
Curiousity here, what kind of boat do you have? I checked your profile and it doesn't say?
Thanks,
Dean

eliminator daytona. in the shop for last two weeks. problem with the 525 efi. idles at 1800 rpm. changed iac and now on to gaskets.

Dean Ferry 08-19-2005 03:33 PM

eliminator daytona. in the shop for last two weeks. problem with the 525 efi. idles at 1800 rpm. changed iac and now on to gaskets.

Sounds like a great boat. Hope your back on the water soon.
Dean

gsmith9898 08-19-2005 04:54 PM

got gaskets in and its fixed, WHOOOOOO !!!! Off to burn so hign dollar gas. Have a GREAT weekend!!!