Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need help with decision, Please give opinion... >

Need help with decision, Please give opinion...

Notices
View Poll Results: Need help with question, please give opinion
25 Baja Outlaw
9.68%
275 Baja Outlaw
5.38%
1990 Cigarette Bullet
43.01%
25 Agressor Sunsation
2.15%
288 Sunsation
39.78%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Need help with decision, Please give opinion...

Old 08-24-2005, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help with decision, Please give opinion...

[QUOTE=ECeptor]I almost bought a Sunsation aggressor (Rocket actually, but they are the same hull from the rub rail down). It was too small for my needs. Performance on the test drive was good, but it felt like and looked like a small boat.QUOTE]

I thought it looked fairly small myself...

Well today I went to two dealerships .... Velocity and Sunsation.... The dealership actually has a 36 Velocity w/ custom paint job and flames coming to LOTO in a week... Just to let you LOTO's boaters know a cajun is coming to town..

Personally I not interested in the Velocity, but did like the 288 Sunsation. Although I did not care for the mid cabin due to it not having a place to lay your head on a regular basis. Plus with me being 6'3 the cabin would be quite small.. Personal preference... I know.. However I did like the 288 Sunsation and belive this will definately be one of my considerations..
Old 08-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Registered

Oh, the 288 mid-cabin I drove with the 500hp ran 74mph on GPS turning 5150rpm with 5 of us on board. I'm 6'3" also so I liked the room up front and the view from the drivers seat...but you are right the cabin is tight. For me the extra room to haul company is more important than a place to sleep.

I agree with articfriends - there are a lot of other 25-30 single engine boats out there to consider.

how about a Scarab 29'

or a Warlock 29'

or an Eliminator 28'

or a Nordic 28'

just go to boattrader and search with your price range, your length range and pick "type: power" and "category: high performance" and you'll see alot of options.

Last edited by ECeptor; 08-24-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:55 PM

that Eliminator is not bad at all...
Old 08-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mobilecal
As most of you know, I have been doing quite a bit of research on particular boats for the upcoming year in order to make my decision. In 2006 I would like to finally purchase my boat. In the past couple of years I have learned a great deal in boating information but have come to the point of confusion in the decision making process.

My requirements are to have a boat that I can enjoy ever weekend with little as possible issues. This boat will be used every weekend and does not have the fastest thing around. As we all know, your never the fastest forever. The boat will be enjoyed by the wife and I on all poker runs and also with kids on the other weekends. So with that being said fuel consumption is also a deciding factor.

I have decided between a three different manufacturers and I need you help and opinions positive and negative.

Now I would like this thread to become an educational tool for myself in deciding on the boat so I am asking that this not be a pissing match between boat owners. Please post facts only and your opinion of the boats if you have personally rode on one or actually know of the building process.

I would like to know how the boat is made, ( fiberglass, or Balsa)

The pros and cons

Any major issues that has been present on that particular model

how does it ride

overall value of the boat

How does the boat hold up in time

The following boats I were contemplating on were

1. 1990 Cigarette Bullet

2. 25 outlaw

3. 288 Sunsation

4. 275 Baja

5. 25 Aggressor Sunsation

Now there are a few reasons for my choices. I want a boat that does not have fuel consumption issues. We all know of people that pay those boat notes and dont take them out due to fuel prices or cant find friends to split the gas. With the single engine option( except for the Bullet) I wouldnt have a fuel issue. Another reason is these model boats are in the 50k and under bracket. I dont want to take away from 401 and kids college fund, nor my monthly stock investments for an upper end boat. I want to comfortably take my boat out every weekend and enjoy myself without any financial indifferences.

So if you would post your opinions and fact based on my requirements I would greatly appreciate it. Besides I would feel comfortable knowing that my decision was based on the knowledge of the members of Offshoreonly.

look at this one in the classifieds and if you like we can talk price....
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-6742.html
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2005, 08:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mobilecal
that Eliminator is not bad at all...
You are shopping now for the boat I'll be shopping for in about 3 years.

Did you try searching trader? There are tons of 26-29' $30-60k high performance boat on there.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got a 98 baja 29' outlaw that will be under 50k, in very nice shape. go twins!
Old 08-25-2005, 09:14 PM
Registered

Just to add one more possibility: Same priorities--frequent use, offshore but doesn't need ultimate speed, reliable, single engine, family at least as much as solo and therefore want a nice comfy ride in the midrange in varied water conditions, but this time you've got reasons to stay under 26' LOA. Powerquest Legend versus the other candidates identified already?
Old 08-26-2005, 07:10 AM
Registered

I can really only speak with authority on the Sunsations. The Rocket/Agressor are good solid fun boats, fast and nimble but with a narrow beam and limited interior space. I consider this more of a hard core boat. The 288 on the other hand is a nice performace family boat. The Sunsation factory goes out of their way for their boat owners no matter where you live. I have never seen a company support their product like Sunsation does. I have had one of the owners of the Sunsation Company look for an old cabin part for mine that he thought he still might have had, then give me a call at work and tell me how to fix it. The "owner" I said! Ask any other Sunsation owners about their experiences with service or the factory no matter how old their boats are. Something for you to think about.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from your list the baja 275 is the best boat for the money and resale in my opinion.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by articfriends
Mobile,i get the feeling from your gas concerns and description you are really set on a single engine boat. As far as the majority of poker runs your choices would be kinda small and rough riding. I'd rule out the agressor for sure,its a fast hull but extremely narrow and requires tab use just to keep under control because of the narrow beam. The cheaper insurance companys WON"T write policys on 15 year and older boats so rule out anything that old,even if YOU can insure it now,in two years if you want to move up you'll have a hard sell because the next buyer will have issues with insurance.The 288 sunsation will outrun either baja easily with same power by a easy 5-7 mph,and I own a baja 272 (i'm speaking from experience). I'm not impressed with Baja's quality whatsoever either,i bought my baja bought new in 2000 and customer support was less than stellar plus half the screws that hold boat together missed their target which will be important of you want to run in poker runs. I would expand your list to include some of the biggest single engine boats-pantera,checkmate,fountain etc. A 29 ft fountain would be nice amd my buddy just bought a 28 ft checkmate with a factory 525 sc for 35k(a 95)with low hours. If I was buying a single v over again I'd buy a 29 fountain single, 28 checkmate or a 288 sunsation with hp 500,hp 525 or 525 sc(still can insure for 600$ a year) and will run 70 -80 mph. The 28 check my buddy got runs 72 and he's putting my headers and a superchiller on it this winter,should run almost 80 next year. 50k ought to get you into any of these in the 4-8 year old range,Smitty
Thank you Articfriends, that was the kind of information I was looking for.... As far as your comments on the BAJA missing, what srews were you refering to? Also I also have heard that BAJAs CS was poor.. That is definately not a good thing to have with as large of comapany as they are...

Has anyone else had any problems with their BAJA's?

Quick Reply: Need help with decision, Please give opinion...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.