Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Which boat to buy, 40 Skater or 39 MTI? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/111044-boat-buy-40-skater-39-mti.html)

platinum 06-07-2009 10:12 PM

Sophisticated layup?

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 2873857)
From what I can tell (which is why I asked) it seems like the OL cat uses the most sophisticated layup process - resin infusion.

If so this allows for a lighter thinner hull of equal strength and would theoretically be an advantage.

"Carbon fibre" cloth with AME resin that builders use is a bit of a misnomer - yes its carbon fibre , but without the autoclave process I dont see an advantage.

For it to be the genuine article the pieces or the whole boat needs to bake in an autoclave under pressure to bond the carbon fibres to the core material - I dont believe anyone in this group has an autoclave period much less one big enough to stick boat parts in.

These are all awesome boats, but Im reading preferences in these threads vs. construction data to support what people own or people like.

UD

Uncle Dave,

Resin Infusion is not the most sophisticated layup, as you suggest. Vacuum infusion is a step up from a conventional vacuum-consolidated wet layup. The equipment has a certain "sophistication", but the resulting laminate has few advantages over a vacuum consolidated wet layup, given the same choice of materials. In fact, most of the time the resin infused component will be heavier.

Please keep in mind, that you will rarely find resin infusion in the aerospace industry. This area is dominated by carbon pre-preg, which is a sophisticated material. It has a rather short shelf life, requires freezing to prevent a premature cure beyond the B-stage, has an out time measured in days, and requires a temperature controlled environment for proper processing, and need to be postcured.

One cannot combine resin infusion with honeycomb. This, and the fact that pre-preg chemistry is much more advanced and higher performing than resin infusion chemistry, is the reason why high performance laminates are pre-preg based. Resin infusion is comparatively economical and keeps the EPA happy, as emissions can be limited compared to conventional wet lay ups.

For the record, we introduced at the 2001 Miami Boat Show an autoclave cured, full carbon pre-preg boat. This boat does not have an ounce of wood. Due to cost and complexity, nobody has followed this technological lead. This boat, by definition, is sophisticated!

Andreas

Catmando 06-07-2009 10:18 PM

Andreas how is your collaboration with Pat Weismann going? I met you at an SBI race in NC several years ago when Pat was there slaving away in the bilge of your raceboat lol.

shifter 06-07-2009 10:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cat,

Like all good things they take time. We have done extensive testing and mods to the original platinum vee. Now we are on the next phase......:drink:

pat W

Jassman 01-17-2010 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by shifter (Post 2882934)
Cat,

Like all good things they take time. We have done extensive testing and mods to the original platinum vee. Now we are on the next phase......:drink:

pat W

Times up.. we know its ready to market to us consumers...:grinser010:

RaceFast 05-31-2010 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 3025710)
Times up.. we know its ready to market to us consumers...:grinser010:

AGREE!!!!

Catmando 05-31-2010 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by shifter (Post 2882934)
Cat,

pat W

Come on Pat it's been a year. We want to see the results!!

RaceFast 06-01-2010 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3123760)
Come on Pat it's been a year. We want to see the results!!

AGREE AGREE ...!!!! Come on, one year. Many words, but nothing.....show us :popcorn: