Notices

Why not the Ford V10?

Old 09-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why not the Ford V10?

I grew up in a anti ford family, pretty much anti everything but GM family. I can go on for days.

Fast
Only
Rolling
Downhill
Old 09-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Registered

Time to shut up guys, buy the first issue of Diesel Power mag, it tests all three empty, loaded, towing flat and up hill. The Ford beat them all hands down....all. Just get the mag, read it and then go piss on your GM, Dodge and if you have a Toyota just set it on fire. I am serious, the ford beat the crap out of them in every category. Read and then post back. I have a 7.3 Excursion, 2003 with 84k and it has only had oil changes. Now the Dodge Cummins is a great motor, no doubt, but they wrapped it with tin foil. www.dieselpowermag.com read it a weep...unless you have a PSD. As far as why it is not in a boat, it is simple, no one in the after market makes parts and it is just not supported by the marine industry so why reinvent the wheel.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jtmiller02
I don't think theres any doubt that you can convert any engine to "marine use" however marine engines (penta, mtu, cat, yanmar, merc, etc) were designed for a specific purpose. If you are looking for even a semi-reliable package, I would stick with the designs that have years of use and abuse under their belt already.
Now wait a minute.................. Volvo, Merc and other gas engines were NOT designed for "marine use". The basic block and rotating assembly is the same as would be found in any heavy-duty automotive application. GM does not change anything in the blocks. Marine engine builders such as Merc simply order what they want from what GM already manufactures.

However, I do agree with what another said above: Since marine builders migrated toward GM years ago (probably due to price and availability), to marinize anything else would cost twice as much. But. lets not forget all the jet-drive boats that were out there in the 70's with Ford 460s.

And one more thing,,,,,,,,,, to say Ford sucks any more than GM or Dodge is just silly. I've had 'em all and they all suck, Peroid!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Registered

Yeah I believe everything I read in magazines.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigScotty
)it all boils down to preference, taste, and for you Yankees, "what yo' Daddy likes..." (in my best Southern drawl)

And thats not to mention what yo' Mamma likes!!!!

Ok, ok, just kidden'. Couldn't resist the open shot.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BigScotty
I'm sure we could go on for days and days - I am Dodge man (own an '04 Viper and an '04 Ram 3500 Cummins dually) - it all boils down to preference, taste, and for you Yankees, "what yo' Daddy likes..." (in my best Southern drawl)
I'm sorry

you own two dodges
Old 09-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Merc does put the PSD in a boat. They have a marine version of the Navistar PSD. They don't the 6.0 or the V10 gas.

Hey I'm getting 25 mpg highway on my 2002, 110k mile PSD in an F350.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by rastaboatin
Yeah I believe everything I read in magazines.
It depends on who is buying alot of ads!! Heck, Poker Runs America just did an article last issue and lied about what power was in a "certain" boat that happened to be the offshore V-Botton boat of the year!!!!
Old 09-08-2005, 08:41 PM
jtmiller02

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
Now wait a minute.................. Volvo, Merc and other gas engines were NOT designed for "marine use". The basic block and rotating assembly is the same as would be found in any heavy-duty automotive application. GM does not change anything in the blocks. Marine engine builders such as Merc simply order what they want from what GM already manufactures.

These engines and their makers have dozens of years of real world R&D and every new upstart that comes along promising to save you money proves exactly why that R&D is invaluable. Only the very basic components of these engines are "off the shelf auto" components everything else about these systems has come from years and years of development and "real world" use. This makes competing on a major scale nearly impossible, especially when you consider the infrastructure it requires to sell, distribute and service a product.

The reason they use GM is simple, if you used one supplier and their products for several decades as the basis for your entire product line, it would be foolish to switch and retool your entire operation to use another supplier which would offer no real added value.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
And one more thing,,,,,,,,,, to say Ford sucks any more than GM or Dodge is just silly. I've had 'em all and they all suck, Peroid!
That right there is the truth, sad as it is.

Quick Reply: Why not the Ford V10?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.