illinois no longer tax free

Notices

illinois no longer tax free

Old 09-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Re: illinois no longer tax free

Originally Posted by BEAST1
All boats used, new, brokered, privat party sale will be taxed in Illinois. If your an Illinois resident you will pay no mater what. If your an out of state buyer and you come to Illinois and take the boat home with you you will pay Illinois Tax. No way around that. NOw when you get back home you show them the Illinois tax has been paid for and you will not be double taxed by your atate. Oh, by the way they will not give you a credit either. Now if your an out of state buyer and have it transported by a transportation company (they have all the proper documentation to deliver accross the country) Then NO you will not have to pay Illinois TAX.
This is not my experience.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:17 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way the law is written is this: I you buy a boat from anybody/anywhere and you intend on using it in/on Illinois waters, then you must pay 6.5% use tax. If you live in Illinois and buy a boat in Illinois, but keep it and use it only at LOTO for example, then no tax is due. Basically they make sure you pay the tax when you go to register the boat in Illinois. And also even if a boat is documented, if you run it in illinois, then you must pay.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
The way the law is written is this: I you buy a boat from anybody/anywhere and you intend on using it in/on Illinois waters, then you must pay 6.5% use tax. If you live in Illinois and buy a boat in Illinois, but keep it and use it only at LOTO for example, then no tax is due. Basically they make sure you pay the tax when you go to register the boat in Illinois. And also even if a boat is documented, if you run it in illinois, then you must pay.
That has been my experience. It applies to more than boats. For instance, if you buy furniture at a store in Illinois to be delivered to a house in another state, you do not have to pay Illinois sales tax. I believe that you should pay according to the tax laws you are delivering the goods to.

Last edited by Mentalpause; 09-18-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister got dinged on the tax this year. Bought a used boat in IN and I told her that she didn't have to pay tax. Well I didn't know the law had changed, so they go a surprise when the went to register it.

There are some things you can get away with. I bought an ATV in IN and never register in IL. So I did not have to pay tax on it. IL doesn't need to know about it. Can't ride it on the roads or anything so why should I go register it.

Oh and try living south of I-64.