Notices

Documenting a boat

Old 09-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Documenting a boat

If you are going to register in Kansas (but not CG Documented) you may be able to save on the sales tax. In the Kansas Appliation for Certificate of Number Kansas Boating Act - it states in the instructions "(17) .....Private individual sales are tax exempt. Sumbit application with a bill of sale showing individual sale."

This is where I found the application instructions.

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/boa..._renewal_forms

You will still get to pay personal property taxes every year (whether or not it is CG Documented).

If you keep the boat in MO for more than 60 or 90 days consecutively (I forget the exact number), you are expected to register it in MO. Then the whole tax thing comes into play again (sales tax, in-lieu tax).

Good luck.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In VA you do not pay sales tax if you document. That saved me $5K off the bat. I have only been hassled once for not having numbers on my bow. Rookie water cop waved me over, asked me where my numbers were. I tell him why. He yells "spin it around and let me see" like he won't see them after I pass. Schmuck.

The city has found me though. Getting their 'love letters' now, but loving the fact they reduced the property tax rate on boats to $0.00. At least for now......
Old 09-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waterbum
If you are going to register in Kansas (but not CG Documented) you may be able to save on the sales tax. In the Kansas Appliation for Certificate of Number Kansas Boating Act - it states in the instructions "(17) .....Private individual sales are tax exempt. Sumbit application with a bill of sale showing individual sale."

This is where I found the application instructions.

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/boa..._renewal_forms

You will still get to pay personal property taxes every year (whether or not it is CG Documented).

If you keep the boat in MO for more than 60 or 90 days consecutively (I forget the exact number), you are expected to register it in MO. Then the whole tax thing comes into play again (sales tax, in-lieu tax).

Good luck.
F*ck! Forgot about personal property tax. Who knows about Arkansas tax on boats?
Old 09-16-2005, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Macklin
In VA you do not pay sales tax if you document. That saved me $5K off the bat. I have only been hassled once for not having numbers on my bow. Rookie water cop waved me over, asked me where my numbers were. I tell him why. He yells "spin it around and let me see" like he won't see them after I pass. Schmuck.

The city has found me though. Getting their 'love letters' now, but loving the fact they reduced the property tax rate on boats to $0.00. At least for now......

So your boat is not registered correct? Or you got a Va. registration decal for free?

I don't know of a state in the union that does not require a boat to be "registered" for use on that state's waterways. There is always a fee for this priveledge...call it whatever you want.

This really isn't about "paying sales tax"...it's about what it takes to have proper display so you don't get hassled!

One BWI/DUI you get caught in because you got stopped for neeedless questions about the boat, may well cost you much more than doing it right in the first place!

your getting hassled because you don't have a "sticker" (state decal).

It's about registration "stickers" not the display of the "number" associated with it. The state decal tells them all they want to know...all they are told to look for...REVENUE. They could care less about the forward display of the reg. "number".

It's like cars...do you really think they watch inspection stickers for your "safety"? NO...it's about REVENUE for the state (you know, the $ that pays their salaries).

the state "sticker" is what proves you've paid for the priveledge of using the boat on that state's waters...and that's what they are looking out for!

99 out of 100 water-cops understand if they see the state "sticker" on your hull, a name and port on the transon that the boat is straight up, documented, and will not bother you.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In VA, if you document your boat with the USCG you do not have to register with the Dept of Game & Inland Fisheries. Therefore, no sticker, title, taxes or yearly fees required. That is why so many boats around here are documented, which decreases the hassle factor greatly. I've had mine for 4 seasons now without any problems other than the one mentioned above. And like I said, he knew enough to shut up as soon as he saw my boat name and hailing port properly displayed.

BTW, you guys paying hundreds of dollars to have a documentation company do your work for you are throwing your money away IMHO. It's too easy to download the forms you need from the USCG web site and send them in yourself. I think I paid like $125 plus I believe a small fee for registering the MSO, which is my title. The best part is that yearly renewal is the cost of a stamp.

Last edited by Macklin; 09-17-2005 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:32 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Does anyone know if a sticker is required for MA or RI. I am USCG doc. in RI but boat in MA.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sales tax "policy" will vary state to state.

Most states will require the boat to be registered (state sticker) even if it is documented. I believe there are loopholes in some states, but I'm not sure which ones.

The documentation process is pretty easy. I documented my last boat simply because I didn't want the numbers on the bow. I had a couple of questions about it & called the Coast Guard directly & they helped me through it. I think it cost about $90 to document it. Beats the hell out of paying $450-$550 for someone else to fill in ONE form. I think the turnaround was about 2-3 months.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Re: Documenting a boat

Originally Posted by mpally
If you document a boat you do not pay sales tax. It is one of the major advantages.
This is not true. Be careful.
If this was true EVERYBODY would document their boats providing it is large enough.

Last edited by Edward R. Cozzi; 12-12-2005 at 07:42 PM. Reason: want to add something
Old 12-14-2005, 06:48 AM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Just got this Email back from the EPA in my state of MA.

Allen Millner
Program Coordinator
Mass. Environmental Police
Office Of Law Enforcement

"Good Morning:

USCG Documented boat’s require no additional decal or registration in MA... Enjoy our waters"

That's great news for me
Old 12-14-2005, 08:20 AM
Registered

Go to the USCG website. It has all info on documenting and you wont be charged extra. You can do it yourself.
Go to the State of MO website. It lists the fees, ie In lieu of tax" and everything else you'll need.
BTW, in MO, no sales tax if you document. But in lieu of fee for MO state sticker is based on purchase price. That table in on the state of MO website.
You may need to pay personal property tax if you want to renew your MO state sticker every 3 years.
Of course, you could title in a no sales tax on used boat state. Then transfer to your MO residence and skip the sales tax. You have to be a little more devious to avoid personal property tax.
Gary

Last edited by Gary Anderson; 12-14-2005 at 11:04 AM.