Velocity Wrecks on Lake Norman

Notices

Velocity Wrecks on Lake Norman

Old 09-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Velocity Wrecks on Lake Norman

Here is what I know. He was turning right to go into the marina/restraunt that is there right beside the interstate and saw that it was crowded. He decided to make turn back to the left which would have been aiming towards the shore beside the interstate and something broke. The water drops off fast beside the interstate so I'm sure Steve was fairly close to the shore and wasn't to worried about the water depth. Problem was he didn't have time to get it stopped when something broke ?

Supposedly it went up on the rip-rap bank at about 30mph. One of the props was baddly damaged and some scratches. They pulled it off the rocks and he idled back to his dock on the other engine. Pretty good testimate to velocity if you saw how and what it was sitting on.

I haven't heard anything on the problems.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been boating with Steve many times and have always been impressed with his safe and responsible driving and handling techniques. He has many years of high performance boating experiance and has owned several large boats over the years. I doubt that there are many people on this board short of professional racers that can handle a large powerboats better.

I have been boating on Lake Norman with Steve and recall him telling me of other accidents that have happened at this same place. It sounds to me like one of those accidents where something breaks at the absolute worse time to react.

The boat is an absolutely beautiful and was used in the Miami boat show and on all of the Velocity advertising a few years back. It has brand new 625 Ilmors in it now and had the best of all equipment installed. I am just glad to hear that no one was seriously hurt and it sounds like the boat is still in good shape.
Attached Thumbnails Velocity Wrecks on Lake Norman-teeter1.jpg  
Old 09-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ratman
what no reverse on that boat? i would have slammed it into reverse
Ever try to get a bravo out of gear under power....what an idiot
Old 09-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I think that boat was in the NYC poker run as well.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

As of right now the coupler is the only thing that has been found broken. We were on site with him the whole time .It looked worse than it really was. Damage is very min to hull and most of that was done when they pulled him off. If all goes well the boat all will have been repaired and back in the water this weekend. Anyone coming to Lake Norman please feel free to contact me. 704-634-9004

David

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc

Last edited by vagrant; 09-16-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What size boat and how fast with the Ilmors?
Old 09-18-2005, 07:59 AM
Registered

Sorry guys, I have been on the road all week and was not able to catch up on posting. Let me help you out here.
Since I was driving the boat I can clear up all the speculation.
We were heading toward I-77, as we do each week, and went to make a left and run about 150' off the rock pile parallel with I-77. Speed approximately 30 to 35 mph. As I started into the turn the port engine hit the rev limiter and I told Cathy,"oh ****". We thought we had hit something and broke a prop or drive. I jerked the throttles back and then shifted into reverse with both engines.The boats front end was caught by the 20 plus mph winds and turned the boat straight. Luckily the boat slowed to about 15 to 20 mph before sliding up on the rocks. Unfortunately, one engine will not stop the boat. I examined the bottom of the boat and determined there was no damage to the bottom and within about 60 minutes the boat was off the rocks and in the water. I drove the boat home on one engine and put it on my lift for further evaluation. No bottom damage. Port prop was damaged but repairable. Drove the boat on Monday evening to see if I lost a drive but found the coupler had broken. Put the boat on the trailer and took it to the repair shop for an estimate on the scratch removal. Estimate $600 to $800
I am very lucky that the damage was no worse. I am also amazed at how strong the bottoms on these boats are.
It goes to show though with even 30 years of boating experience I was not prepared for a mechanical failure under these conditions. It sort of like going down the interstate at 80 mph everyday, but one day the front tire blows out and you are upside down or someone pulls out in front of you and you do not have time to hit the brakes and slam them. Some things you jut have no control over. We just have to learn the lessons given.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rbr2328
What size boat and how fast with the Ilmors?
The boat is 41'. It has been at 87mph on lake water. I usually keep the boat full of fuel (250gals), so I am not sure what it can actually do.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:11 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Steet, Glad to hear all things were OK including you and your wife.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Registered

I want my boat appraised by Brett Walsh.

Quick Reply: Velocity Wrecks on Lake Norman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.