Notices

Hurricane Rita

Old 09-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hurricane Rita

As I've said before.......I'll take an Earthquake ANY DAY over a hurricaine.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:53 PM
Registered

Here is what us N. Texas guys expect to see.

...EFFECTS FROM MAJOR HURRICANE RITA EXPECTED ACROSS NORTH TEXAS...

HURRICANE RITA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LAND-FALL ALONG THE MIDDLE TEXAS GULF COAST PRIOR TO SUNRISE ON SATURDAY. THE STORM...ALREADY A MAJOR HURRICANE...IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE IN INTENSITY TO A CATEGORY 5 STORM OVER THE GULF WATERS...WITH SOME DECREASE TO A CATEGORY 4 STORM JUST PRIOR TO LANDFALL EARLY SATURDAY.

THE LATEST TRACK FROM THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER WOULD BRING THE DISSIPATING STORM NORTH TO NEAR WACO SATURDAY NIGHT AND THEN INTO CENTRAL OKLAHOMA...EAST OF OKLAHOMA CITY...SUNDAY NIGHT.

SHOULD THE CURRENT TRACK OF THE HURRICANE VERIFY...THE FOLLOWING EFFECTS WILL BE POSSIBLE...IF NOT LIKELY ACROSS NORTH TEXAS.

1. 40 TO 60 MPH SUSTAINED WINDS...WITH HIGHER GUSTS...SOUTH OF A LINE FROM LAMPASAS...TO WACO AND CENTERVILLE. THESE ARE TROPICAL STORM STRENGTH WINDS...AND EVEN SEVERE STORM WINDS ONCE YOU REACH 58 MPH. THUS...SOME LOCALIZED DAMAGE FROM WIND WOULD LIKELY OCCUR. SMALL AND LIGHTWEIGHT OUTDOOR OBJECTS SHOULD BE SECURED. WINDS SHOULD TAPER OFF TO 20 TO 40 MPH FURTHER NORTH ON SUNDAY...BUT THIS WILL BE DEPENDANT UPON THE STRENGTH AND SPEED OF THE SYSTEM ONCE IT MAKES LANDFALL.

2. HEAVY RAINFALL AND FLOODING. 3 TO 5 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS WILL BE POSSIBLE MAINLY ALONG AND EAST OF THE I-35 CORRIDOR. MUCH OF EAST TEXAS...ESPECIALLY THE NORTHEAST...HAS BEEN IN DROUGHT CONDITIONS FOR MOST OF THE SUMMER AND THIS RAIN WOULD BE VERY BENEFICIAL. HOWEVER...DEPENDING UPON THE SPEED OF THE SYSTEM...TOO MUCH RAIN MAY FALL IN TOO SHORT A TIME TO ALLOW SOILS TO SOAK UP THE RAINFALL. THUS...SOME FLOODING MAY RESULT. A FLASH FLOOD WATCH WILL LIKELY BE NEEDED FOR THIS WEEKEND.

3. A FEW TORNADOES.

4. INCREASED TRAFFIC ON INTER-STATES AS PEOPLE EVACUATE FROM THE HURRICANE. WET ROADS...HEAVY RAINFALL AND INCREASED TRAFFIC COULD LEAD TO DELAYS AND ACCIDENTS. ALLOW EXTRA TIME TO REACH YOUR TRAVEL DESTINATIONS THIS WEEKEND.

5. SOME AIRLINE DELAYS WILL BE POSSIBLE. AGAIN...ALLOW EXTRA TIME TO REACH YOUR DESTINATIONS THIS WEEKEND.

DISSIPATING HURRICANES HAVE MOVED ACROSS NORTH TEXAS MANY TIMES IN THE PAST...TYPICALLY WITH SOME WIND DAMAGE AND FLOODING. RESIDENTS AND THOSE PLANNING TRAVEL ACROSS NORTH TEXAS THIS WEEKEND SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR THIS SYSTEM AND STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST WEATHER INFORMATION AS WE MOVE CLOSER TO THE WEEKEND.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:08 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

Left this morning from Clear Lake and traffic was not bad. We came 290 to Austin. Everyone was moving boats all around this morning at the marinas and ramps. Towboat US was having a field day moving stuff around.
Left the new boat in the shelf at Marker1..hope she 'll be o.k..if not the replacement can have tripples.
Would have been nice to have up here for a few VERY warm days on Travis.
Parking is so limited everywhere up here.
Alot of boats on the road coming up here and alot being towed around the roads in Austin.
We continue to check-in and everyone be safe!
Old 09-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just heard gas my rise again after this storm
Old 09-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
I heard they are closing businesses in houston thursday and friday.
I heard that too, but I didn't stick around long enough today to find out. I told them I'm going at 10:00.

I'm headed to SA late tonight.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:37 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bullock Marine is down there in Seabrook...
Hopefully he'll be ok!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

its going to be bad................
Old 09-22-2005, 05:38 AM
Registered

175mph!!!!
damn!
Old 09-22-2005, 05:54 AM
Registered

I have a beach house in galveston, guess were going to see how well the hurriciane proof windows work. They are supposed to handle 140mph winds.

I rode out claudette in my beach house in 2003 Cat 1. It wasnt to bad, dont think it will survive if we take a dirrect hit.

Just heard its shifting to the east, watch out New Orleans.

It took me 4hrs to go 25 miles yesterday the traffic is horrific, and still is this AM.

Good luck everybody, I will try and keep posting from houston.

Curtis
Old 09-22-2005, 07:01 AM
Registered

5:30AM here in northwest Houston. As I came in to work the freeway going out is sitting still. Last night on way home every gas station was out of gas. In going by gas stations this morning the places are full of cars. I stopped at the gas station by my house to get my early morning drink. I talked to a number of peope & they were out of gas waiting on station to get gas. Girl working in station said that she is to get a truck coming out to her station around 8:30. Everyone at station was thinking that they would have gas by 10AM to continue there escape. As I drive in I see there is going to be no way a supply truck can get from storage area to the station because of all of the traffic.

I tried to use my cell phone last night & kept getting busy circuit. This morning I tried to get up with our company manager

I think the good??? news for us today is the storm track is now to the east of us. Yesterday we were east of eye by about 49 miles. Now with the 2am track shows us about 44 miles to the west of the eye.

As to Phantom's comment "I'll take an Earthquake ANY DAY over a hurricaine" At least we have had about 5 days to get ready for this. We have had time to secure everthing & to get prepared. I have time to make sure I have a good backup of the office computers & to shut the system down, get plenty of gas, food, water, & supplies, & verify generators work. I have lived in this Town about 40 years in this same area & I can only really remember one hurricane that did any damage in our area of the city. We were only out of power for 2 days. I hope we fair as good this time, it just is not looking like it.

Quick Reply: Hurricane Rita

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.