Notices

Hurricane Rita

Old 09-22-2005, 07:08 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hurricane Rita

I've got a brother and a sister and families living in Houston. They all left for San Antonio early this morning.

Godspeed to everyone leaving and good luck to those staying.

It would be intresting to see how Texans handle looters.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojack
5:30AM here in northwest Houston. As I came in to work the freeway going out is sitting still. Last night on way home every gas station was out of gas. In going by gas stations this morning the places are full of cars. I stopped at the gas station by my house to get my early morning drink. I talked to a number of peope & they were out of gas waiting on station to get gas. Girl working in station said that she is to get a truck coming out to her station around 8:30. Everyone at station was thinking that they would have gas by 10AM to continue there escape. As I drive in I see there is going to be no way a supply truck can get from storage area to the station because of all of the traffic.

I tried to use my cell phone last night & kept getting busy circuit.
These are the problems that you can't foresee. Exactly what we went through here in Louisiana. The aftermath is even worse because roads are blocked or destroyed and cell towers and phone lines are all down. All you Texas guys and girls take care. Don't try to ride this thing out. Houses and material things can be replaced - lives can't. Stay safe!
Old 09-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
As I've said before.......I'll take an Earthquake ANY DAY over a hurricaine.
Nort,
I was in Long Beach CA for the Northridge Quake, and that was pretty freaky! I remember watching the cars in the hotel parking lot JUMPING off the ground ~1-2 feet!!!
I hope everyone in the path of this B!TCH of a hurricane gets out of town. Please don't mess around with this one.
Dean and Robin
Old 09-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like major problem is now there are only about 10 gas stations in this city that have any gas left at all. Tankers can not get to stations because of all the traffic. People are running out of gas on freeway. To top it all off the high temp today is 100.

NHC is saying hurricane winds up to 200 miles inland. We are 60 mile. To give you prospective San Antonio is 130 & Austin is 150 miles inland.

Are we having fun yet?
Old 09-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the news this morning, they are saying the high pressure is shifting east, so the storm will probably shift east as well. The local weather people say we
(in austin) should just get a rainy windy day or so out of it, but no hurricane winds.

My brothers friend left houston at 4:00am this morning, and at 8 had traveled 30 miles. The average time from houston to dallas right now is 24hrs , regularly 4hrs.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Registered

TXDOT is changing I45 and I10 to be north/west bound only all lanes.

I dont think this will solve the problem, cause when you eventually merge them back together look out.

Costco has gas, sometimes its good to be a member.

Gonna stop by there on the way home and get 2 20lb bags of ice for my beer.

CM
Old 09-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Registered

Good luck folks.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

took me 7 hours to go 18 miles last night
Old 09-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Registered

My son is a Cy-fair VFF. He just called a little while ago & said he was going to bed after being up all night. He said people on freeway are freeking out, having strokes, heart attacks & their cars are startinig on fire.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just talked to my brother, He lives in Houston. They tried to leave last night.....they made it about 6 miles by daybreak, so they turned around. Hopefully, they figure out sooner than later to allow traffic out using both travel lanes.

Good luck everyone, be safe!!

Quick Reply: Hurricane Rita

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.