Notices

7' beam vs 8' beam

Old 09-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 7' beam vs 8' beam

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
I had a Checkmate 253 and was impressed with the ride. However, it is not a "strong" boat. Lots of stress cracks and things started to loosen up after 200 hrs. You can beat the piss out the other 2 and they will smile back at you!
Wow thats a 1st. I have a 251 Checkmate, its a 89 and has no stress cracks. Every thing is super tight. Its one of the best built boats I have been in. Although I have only been in boats a blue colar guy like I can afford. I have a 240 Baja around the same year and the quility is not even close to the checkmate. And I'm not a true blue Checkmate fan either. I just gotta give them props for quility. The older checkmates like I have are a narrower beem then the new ones. Mine slices though the rough stuff with ease. Its a very fast hull even with out steps. The only thing I can say bad about the Checkmate is it porposes very easy at cruizing speeds. I have stuggled with this alot. I got some great advice from board members and they were right. You have to drive this boat. Once you learn the tricks its just awesome!!! Now on the other hand I two would like to move up to a Pantera 28 with a single engine but I just cant swing the price of one. My checkmate is totally redone(Its my avator) exacty how I want but I get board easily. I was really wanting a Pantera so bad I was even thinging about a 24 foot one. I'm sure a 28 Pantera would be a huge step up but I'm not sure if the 24 would be a whole lot better then my Checkmate. If I didn't already have the checkmate I buy the Pantera but my Checkmate is paid for and that means alot.

Russ
Old 09-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Registered

If the hull designs are exactly alike (deadrise,strakes,chine), an 8' beam may ride better then 7' because it has more hull and the keel runs deeper. Unless the 8' boat cant carry the bow which wont have the same deadrise up front as the 7' beam and will ride a little rougher.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:04 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try to find a late eighties, early ninties 27' Activator. Ride quality is right where any 7' wide performance boat should be. The 27' Activator is 6'5" at the transom, outside of rubrails. 7' beam midship.
Non stepped hull with the inner strakes ending only 8" from the transom. Boat runs clean and fast.
They are in your price range.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RLW
Try to find a late eighties, early ninties 27' Activator. Ride quality is right where any 7' wide performance boat should be. The 27' Activator is 6'5" at the transom, outside of rubrails. 7' beam midship.
Non stepped hull with the inner strakes ending only 8" from the transom. Boat runs clean and fast.
They are in your price range.
A 27' is a little too big. But I do love the Activators. In fact, I keep catching myself looking at the 92 in the classifieds!
Old 09-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Registered

If you like the narrow 24s you might as well buy a used 25 aggressor. The factory is in Algonac and their support is great. After owning a aggresor with the 7 ft beam I bought a boat with a 8 ft beam and I would never go back to the narrow beam. As far as the 25aggressor and the 253 check, the ck is much larger and they do run well in Lk Mi.
Dwight
Old 09-25-2005, 10:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Whitey
If you like the narrow 24s you might as well buy a used 25 aggressor. The factory is in Algonac and their support is great. After owning a aggresor with the 7 ft beam I bought a boat with a 8 ft beam and I would never go back to the narrow beam. As far as the 25aggressor and the 253 check, the ck is much larger and they do run well in Lk Mi.
Dwight
If I buy a 7' beam boat it will be a Pantera or Superboat. The only reason I am even considering the Check is because I came across one set up right and it was a big boat for a 25.

Nothing against the Sun, I've just liked the Pantera and SB for a long time. And they are always set up with the right goodies!
Old 09-25-2005, 10:45 PM
Registered

If you want something that can run in bigger water, something like this Superboats 30'er might be a good option.

If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd call John C and get my Superboats Y2K on order.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ECeptor
If you want something that can run in bigger water, something like this Superboats 30'er might be a good option.

If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd call John C and get my Superboats Y2K on order.
No egg beaters for me! Just not my thing.

I'm looking to stay in the 24'-25' range
Old 09-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cockpit is as big as any 8' beam in my 30. They don't have side storage like wider boats. My cat was 8' 6" and had no more room between the seats than my Superboat. I've had 8' beam V's and cats. I'm sure the narrow beam makes a difference, but you have to buy something that you like to look at. For what I want a Superboat, Activator, or Phantom are the only boats that will replace my cat.

Last edited by FASTERDAMITT; 09-25-2005 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FASTERDAMITT
but you have to buy something that you like to look at.
Excellent point! Thanks for all the replies. I think if I got something just because it was a little bugger I would regret not getting what I really wanted (and liked to look at)!

Now I just need to sell my boat!!!

Quick Reply: 7' beam vs 8' beam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.