Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bad boat accident on Lake George right now (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/113551-bad-boat-accident-lake-george-right-now.html)

otis311 10-02-2005 02:53 PM

Bad boat accident on Lake George right now

Doesnt look good, Two boat collided 15 people in the water with 5 missing. Reports are two CRUISERS !!

otis311 10-02-2005 02:55 PM

Re: Bad boat accident on Lake George right now

Three brought to the surface by divers...still looking for more. Getting the reports from friends on there boats at the scene. Fireturck and ambulances keep screaming buy the house as we speak..

Pray for these people. Not a good scene 6 Days before the largest Pokerrun this lake has ever saw

lucky strike 10-02-2005 03:10 PM

Not sounding good

LS

Smitty 10-02-2005 03:29 PM

Keep the updates coming. Hopefully nobody is seriuosly injured.

BLee 10-02-2005 03:29 PM

Man these poker runs are getting out of control. They probably weren't wearing lifelines OR kill switches. Do we really need to go this fast?

....... wait Cruisers?

I guess that means accidents CAN happen to anyone. I hope everyone comes out ok.

bobonthis 10-02-2005 03:41 PM

This is what I could find?? I am guessing it is the same thing unless it is just a bad day on the lake...

Tour boat flips over in Lake George
Updated: 10/2/2005 4:25 PM
By: Capital News 9 web staff

The Warren County Sheriff's Department has confirmed that the Lake George tour boat "Ethan Allen" has flipped over in the lake.

There is no word of any injuries at this time. The boat was reportedly carrying about 50 people when it overturned.

Callers said a staging area has been set up at Hearth Stone Point.

According to the Post Star, the 40-foot boat is run by Shoreline Cruises in Lake George.

Capital News 9 will bring you more information as it becomes available.

gdfatha 10-02-2005 04:50 PM

Check CNN.. It apparently was a tour boat that capsized.. 19 sadly reported dead.

otis311 10-02-2005 04:51 PM

4 confirmed dead 6 still being recovered. Might as well just say 10 dead. This comes from a State Trooper who is on duty and gwtting reports from the scene

JCPERF 10-02-2005 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by otis311
4 confirmed dead 6 still being recovered. Might as well just say 10 dead. This comes from a State Trooper who is on duty and gwtting reports from the scene

News confirmed 19 dead :(

bobonthis 10-02-2005 04:59 PM

Fox news is staying on the coverage and they are checking in with the state tropper who has only confirmed 16 at this point they are staying on the coverage and the stand-off in Arizona

berns29scarab 10-02-2005 05:04 PM

this is horrible...my heart goes out to all

drypipetiger 10-02-2005 05:10 PM

Its surreal.... I can't believe it. :( :( :(

God bless the families.

waterheater 10-02-2005 05:11 PM

Our thoughts and prayers are with the families :(:(

bojoe2 10-02-2005 05:46 PM

saw it on cnn earier

JAdamz 10-02-2005 05:56 PM

Story on Yahoo:
http://www.yahoo.com/_ylh=X3oDMTB2MX...taWU-/s/256398

Outdrive1 10-02-2005 06:20 PM

LAKE GEORGE, N.Y. - A tour boat carrying 49 people on a senior citizens' cruise overturned Sunday on a lake in upstate New York, killing at least 21 people, the county sheriff said.

:eek: :eek: Senoir citizens, how sad. I wonder if they were wearing pfd's, probably not. :( :(

Sean H 10-02-2005 06:39 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9569812/

otis311 10-02-2005 07:07 PM

21 confirmed dead, Right hear in my home town. I cant believe it. Ive been a Firefighter for over 24 years and have never seen a tragity of this magnatude right in my little home town

drypipetiger 10-02-2005 07:09 PM

never seen a tragity of this magnatude right in my little home town

Its unbelievable Bob.... Were you on duty today?

ActiveFun 10-02-2005 07:11 PM

I just heard on the radio that its possible a passing "speed boat" may have caused a wake and contributed to the accident.

Tantrum 10-02-2005 07:23 PM

How incredibly sad :(

Ron P 10-02-2005 07:25 PM

I don't buy the wake theory. This sounds like it was a substantial cruise boat, that had spent many many years on the lake.

bobonthis 10-02-2005 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P
I don't buy the wake theory. This sounds like it was a substantial cruise boat, that had spent many many years on the lake.

Me neither this boat has been on the lake for years, this could not have been the first big wake it has seen, my guess is it is going to come down to being that the boat was overloaded.
BTW-my thoughts and prayers do go out to the people and familys involved.

otis311 10-02-2005 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P

Some are reporting that it was the Mohigans wake.. Just what Im hearing on some news reports

CAP071 10-02-2005 07:59 PM

Such a sad story. I will have to say the story will probably change several times before we get exactly what happened :(

GO4BROKE 10-02-2005 08:00 PM

Fast boats leave small wakes, unless going slow!
Horrible accident, I wish for the best for all involved.

augie58 10-02-2005 08:00 PM

could you please elaborate on "mohigan's wake". is this another cruise vessel. but factors other than that must have come into play to capsize a forty foot tour baot.

thoughts go out to all

Tantrum 10-02-2005 08:02 PM

Mohigan is a large steam ship.
If it was a wake it would be a likely suspect but I tend to agree, something else contributed to the turn over.

Shane 10-02-2005 08:08 PM

It is my understanding the Mohican, (another cruise boat) that throws a HUGE WAKE (several feet in height) passed from the stern as the Ethan Ellen was turning while coming out of a small bay. The Ethan Allen is a smaller vessel (approximately 40 feet in length) that takes people and or groups for private tours that are customized to the guests desire. As the Ethan Allen was turning the larger Mohican passed by and the combination of the large wake along with the reduction in stability due to the large wakes hitting her from the sides apparently resulted in a swamping of the vessel which only added to it's instability. As the following waves approached it only exascerbated the situation causing it to roll over. The incident occurred directly in front of the homes of two very close friends.

dockrocker 10-02-2005 08:14 PM

http://www.lakegeorgesteamboat.com/mohican.html

drypipetiger 10-02-2005 08:19 PM

Is the Ethan Allen new to Lake George?

Shane 10-02-2005 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by drypipetiger

No. She has been sailing the lake for as long as I can remember.

JCPERF 10-02-2005 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by drypipetiger

There is an Ethan Allen tour boat on Lake Champlain.

burtandnancy 10-02-2005 08:26 PM

Otis 311, you should get more facts before you start something like this. As tragic as it was, it was not the result of powerboats, poker run boats, a collision of two boats, etc. Our industry does not need any more unfounded bad news.

epeek 10-02-2005 08:32 PM

Apparently the Ethan Allen uses unsecured folding style chairs
for seating. From what I heard,most of the people were over
on one side of the boat looking at the shoreline. This caused the
boat to list towards one side. The "Mo"came by causing a large
wake running parallel to the Ethan Allen causing the boat to tip.
The chairs all slid to one side causing the rest of the people
(and weight) to capsize the boat. Most people were elderly
and in wheelchairs or using walkers. Seems like a just the right
combination of circumstances to cause a tragedy.:( What a shame.

drypipetiger 10-02-2005 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by burtandnancy
Otis 311, you should get more facts before you start something like this. As tragic as it was, it was not the result of powerboats, poker run boats, a collision of two boats, etc. Our industry does not need any more unfounded bad news.

Friend, this is a colossal tragedy that happend in his home town....

JCPERF 10-02-2005 08:49 PM

Dick as usual :mad: :mad:

Outdrive1 10-02-2005 08:56 PM

Horrible tragedy!!!! :( :( Just a thought, if you are senior, physically disabled (in a wheel chair or walker etc.) unable to swim for any reason or a child shouldn't you be wearing a pfd? I'm not speculating or pointing fingers at anyone, I 'm am just asking a question. If you fell into one of those categories that I mentioned above would you be wearing a pfd while on a boat?
Once a gain, sorry for anyones loss. My heart goes out to the friends and families of these victims.

otis311 10-02-2005 08:57 PM

You dont like what I post ?? DONT READ IT !!! I was posting as the incident unfolded. What about what I have posted was so "unfounded"

dont piss me off with another STUPID , USELESS POST !!

JCPERF 10-02-2005 08:59 PM

You dont like what I post ?? DONT READ IT !!! I was posting as the incident unfolded. What about what I have posted was so "unfounded"

dont piss me off with another STUPID , USELESS POST !!

Otis, Read some of the guys posts and you will see he is a ******* ;)