Like Tree0Likes

MADISON movie

Old 10-10-2005, 03:37 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

My Boats: 2003 60' SeaRay, 2014 30' Concept CC
Default Re: MADISON movie

Hi Patriyacht,

The original Miss Madison was donated to the City of Madison by Samuel DuPont in app. 1961. The City then formed Miss Madison, Inc. which is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. For the past 30 plus years it's been led by Bob Hughes. Bob is the founder of Clifty Engineering, a Madison company that provides tooling and engineering services to the aerospace and automotive industries. They also build the aluminum compressor case halves for our T-55 turbines. No taxes or other city revenues are used to fund the boat, it must survive on it's own accord. Oh Boy O Berto is the commercial sponsor. Their sponsorship helps to defray much of our operating expenses, albeit not the entire amount. The town of Madison is doing much better today than it was during the movies' era. It's home to several larger employers that serve both the aerospace and automotive industries. The Shipleys' referred to in the movie is one of the local taverns that has been around since Jefferson was a kid... The kind of saloon you go into and step back several decades instantly.

And yes, we usually have O'Berto Beef jerky samples at the races. Let me know your favorite, and I'll be sure to save a stash for you

Steve
Old 10-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Registered

My Boats: Blackthunder & Malibu ski boat

Thanks Steve, I am glad the town still owns the boat, you forgot one question, what happend to the young son, Mike.

If your sponsor want to send any samples of Beef Jerkey to Key West we can toss them out along with the free tee shirts at the OSO party
Old 10-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 Nordic 28' Heat EBM 575sci

I saw the movie when it came out this Spring. The theatre was packed and people actually cheered at the end. The movie brought back some very fond memories for me.
Growing up in central KY, I went to several Madison races. It was always a great show, particularly during the piston engine era. Nothing against the turbines and march of technology, but seeing and hearing 5 v-12 powered U-boats roaring around that course was incredibly exciting.
Steve, I was happy to see you guys racing here in Nashville, and was in the spectator fleet on Sunday. Our local poker run club (MCPA) provided several of the safety boats.
What did you guys think about the course and site? Are you coming back next year? I hope so.
Regards,
Steve
Old 10-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Mike McCormick is living in Ownesboro, KY. and doing pretty well. He was our crew chief in 1988 and most definitely had his dad's energy. He owns a 5 litre hydro and like many folks, just accumulating the money to make it run faster.

We loved Nashville, Great FAST course! It's an interesting drivers course because while lane 1 is the place to be, the shape allows for different starting scenarios. With the addition of a 40 second buoy to the 60 second start matrix, it allows for a hole shot from the dam to that 40 second pin and then to lane 1. We sure look forward to returning in 06 and from all accounts, Kevin Hogan (the race promoter and funding source) is willing to go it again as well. Thank you for supporting the race! You have a beautiful city and we were treated with legendary southern kindness.

Steve
Old 10-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 Nordic 28' Heat EBM 575sci

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDavid
Mike McCormick is living in Ownesboro, KY. and doing pretty well. He was our crew chief in 1988 and most definitely had his dad's energy. He owns a 5 litre hydro and like many folks, just accumulating the money to make it run faster.

We loved Nashville, Great FAST course! It's an interesting drivers course because while lane 1 is the place to be, the shape allows for different starting scenarios. With the addition of a 40 second buoy to the 60 second start matrix, it allows for a hole shot from the dam to that 40 second pin and then to lane 1. We sure look forward to returning in 06 and from all accounts, Kevin Hogan (the race promoter and funding source) is willing to go it again as well. Thank you for supporting the race! You have a beautiful city and we were treated with legendary southern kindness.

Steve
Steve:
I'm glad you guys like the course, and had a good time while you were in our city. As a tourist destination, we do like to show everyone true Southern hospitality when they come to Nashville.
I look forward to seeing you guys again in '06, and will probably volunteer to work the safety boats with our club, if we are asked by Nashville Shores to do so again. Several of us had scheduling conflicts with the Lake Cumberland Poker Run, which fell on the same weekend this year. We left Lake Cumberland early Sunday morning to get back to Percy Priest and see you guys race. We were not dissapointed!
It was a great show, and from my perspective in the spectator fleet, well received by the fans.
Best Regards,
Steve
Old 12-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Registered

My Boats: 24 OUTLAW

I just watched it this morning. Great movie, something the whole family could watch (no swearing, no nudity).
Old 12-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1989 Challenger Aerotech Super V-24

I just watched this last night too. My wife and I really enjoyed the movie.

My wife now wants to go to Madison to watch the races. Which I believe would only be a couple to 3 hour pull for me. Of course, I can't schedule anything that far out with my career up in the air right now.

However, I live only 40 min for Evansville and have been watching the races for sometime. The last two years I have gone by boat up the Ohio to watch and plan to keep doing this.

Steve,
Perhaps next year I can get the oppurtunity to meet you and the crew. I don't mean to invite myself, but I would enjoy being able to see the pits first hand. Heck, if you got the time, I will buy you a drink at Fast Eddies.

Matt
Old 12-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Matt,

We'd be pleased to have you visit our team at Evansville or Madison. Just call my cell at 954-980-2643 the day before you're coming, and we'll have pit passes for you and your wife. Hope everything with your job works out OK.

Steve
Old 12-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1989 Challenger Aerotech Super V-24

Steve,

Thanks, I have your number wrote down and will keep it in a safe place. I will probably post up the week before too.

I told my wife on the phone and she was excited to hear about the passes.

The job stuff cleared up some last night. Finally got the call and a start date from this company. They offered me a job back in Mid October but said that it would probably be after the first of the year before I started. So I should know shortly after the first of the year what I will be working on those dates unlike my current job when I don't know when my next day off is.

Matt